THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Question for all how do you deal with losing a hole in a competition like this? Do you think about it more, or just let it pass and try to keep playing your game? If you lose the next one or two does it affect your mentality for the rest of the round?

I will say that in the past I would get frustrated and my round would be done not by losing the hole but by bad play. As time has passed I am learning to let things go and just enjoy what I am doing and keep trying my best. Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug

Depends on on how far in the match it is and how I lost the hole. If I hit good shots and lost it I just got out played, if I lost it because of nerves or a poor putt later in the match I get a little stressed and feel doubt over the next one, from there it snowballs and I'm toast. Never used to be like that but it's who I am now lol.

While others are reporting their efforts to improve their games for the Rivalry, all I can report is that, yesterday, I spent the day in the Sajak building at AAMC taking a variety of diagnostic tests and procedures. The good news is that no real health problem was detected. The bad news is that I still don't know what caused me to pass out on the golf course or why I have occasional periods of light headedness where I feel close to passing out. So the testing via other disciplines will continue. One physician has suggested that since I don't drink much water but other liquids, that I might have been chronically dehydrated and continue as such. So I have been told to drink lots of water to see if that has an impact.

Always good to hear that there is no major health issue. Make sure you take care of yourself and follow the instructions of your doctor!

Depends on on how far in the match it is and how I lost the hole. If I hit good shots and lost it I just got out played, if I lost it because of nerves or a poor putt later in the match I get a little stressed and feel doubt over the next one, from there it snowballs and I'm toast. Never used to be like that but it's who I am now lol.

I'm with you Trouter..

Question for all how do you deal with losing a hole in a competition like this? Do you think about it more, or just let it pass and try to keep playing your game? If you lose the next one or two does it affect your mentality for the rest of the round?

Losing a hole won't bother me; that is part of how this competition works. I think if I start to lose multiple holes especially due to poor play i think it has to affect you mentally and will make you push harder. If and when that happens, I am just going to have to try and settle down and get back to basics and the swing I know I can make.

I get messed up a lot by this. It is one of the things I'm working on for RR prep.

I will say that in the past I would get frustrated and my round would be done not by losing the hole but by bad play. As time has passed I am learning to let things go and just enjoy what I am doing and keep trying my best. Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sounds a lot like me.

When I win or lose the hole it's about the same. I enjoy playing either way. I don't enjoy losing but I get over it pretty quick and just move on. I do my best and try not to put too much pressure on myself and not let the experience pas me by

So everyone. With Snowpocalypse imminent this weekend, what are your plans to keep the swing and game in shape the next week or so?

My plans involve getting on a plane to Florida. Only wish I was leaving Friday AM, and hope the airports are operating on schedule by Sunday night.

So everyone. With Snowpocalypse imminent this weekend, what are your plans to keep the swing and game in shape the next week or so?

My plans involve getting on a plane to Florida. Only wish I was leaving Friday AM, and hope the airports are operating on schedule by Sunday night.
If my swing/game can't handle a week off I have no game to begin with. This is a long process you have to balance the right amount of grind and relaxation. This week will be relaxation.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just continue what I have been doing......working on hitting my putting line and doing some drills with the short game to work on contact and club position.

Doing mirror work as I work on keeping my swing from being an overswing. Will also be doing drills for transition from top of swing to downswing.

I'm going to relax and clear the mind a little, I don't think we are going to get any of it with the exception of some rain. I honestly won't start prepping til March when we get some warmer weather, then it's balls out with tons of grinding at the range and shortgame area.

Lots of in house putting and chipping plus swinging a weighted club. It's amazing how much the weighted club helps with strength and flexibility.

It's my B-day this weekend so one of two things usually happen. My wife plans a cruise for "me" (usually for her because she can't stand the cold), or we go skiing. This time around, I'll be going skiing at Massennutten. The good thing is they are a four seasons resort so they have a golf simulation room that I can use to practice the swing with. The bad thing is, it's been down the last two times I've been up there (not so bad in the summer because they have two courses on the mountain, but sucks in the winter if it is broken).

Think I'm going to brave the cold this weekend and get out and play. Don't think we are expecting snow. If it is dry and the course is open, I will be out there.

If my swing/game can't handle a week off I have no game to begin with. This is a long process you have to balance the right amount of grind and relaxation. This week will be relaxation.

QFT. I'll get the driveway and walk cleared and get the kids out in the snow for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

My preps will be keep the fire stoked and the family warm and comfortable. Happy wife = Happy life

So question for all you guys about the prep.
1. What have you had to do differently to make the time for the prep?
2. Do you practice with a purpose or just swing/putt/chip?
3. What is your plan to prevent let down if you don't get to your end goal?
4. What is your plan to prevent post event blues (not normal thp event blues) meaning the you worked so hard now it it is over feeling?
5. Final question and most important to me. What are you guys doing to keep this process fun for yourselves?

4. What is your plan to prevent post event blues (not normal thp event blues) meaning the you worked so hard now it it is over feeling?
5. Final question and most important to me. What are you guys doing to keep this process fun for yourselves?

These are fantastic questions.
When the guys answer here, you should consider a new thread with those (you can include stuff about Regional Rivalry if you want).

This is a fun topic

Not a whole lot really for me. Golf is a pastime that has to be squeezed in between my primary responsibilities, and for me it's just a matter of taking advantage of free time I'm able to find.

If there's no purpose, then it isn't practice.

I have no plan for this. If you don't have some sense of failure when you don't achieve a goal, what's the point of setting goals in the first place?

I have no plan for this either, I just figure that whatever work I put into the event will carry forward for the remainder of the season and beyond and I will continue to see improvement in my game.

I found my way to THP because of the reviews and insight. I joined because it seemed like a great bunch of guys enjoying the game, and IME have found that to be 100% true. I plan to continue doing what I had been up to this point, making contributions to the forum where I can, and getting together and playing with fellow THPers when I have the opportunity. The temptation is there to try to go above and beyond and really "show something" to try to earn a spot on a team. When it gets there one can start worrying about the letdown of not being chosen, and view all that "extra work" being wasted - and then it stops being fun.

Nothing really new for prep time. Golf is a way of life in my house, practice time is well understood.

Nearly every practice session is done with a purpose. However there are times I go just to smash balls and clear the head. It's par of the escape that golf allows me.

The let down....I've lived this several times, I'm the worst critic on myself, and will keep pushing till I find peace with my game. It may never come, but it's why I love this game. I have to keep pushing. So there will be some let down and I'm good with it.

Oh the blues! No
Matter how I prepare, no matter what the results are I'll have the blues. I've learned to accept them, and know that it's only a matter of time before I get to meet up with more THPers that share in the passion of golf, good people and good times.

Golf is fun! This is fun!

nothing. I have always tried to get in one day a week of practice even when schedule was packed with school stuff. Will continue to do what I have been doing and add in extra days when available.

always. It's one of the thing I started more of last year.

no let down here. I know golf is hard and requires work to get better. I do to plan to stop working on getting better any time soon so if I don't reach my goal I will continue to work hard at it while enjoying the game at the same time.

continue what I have been doing and just enjoy the game and THP. So much good stub going on around this great community that while it will such when the event is over I still get to enjoy talking golf with a bunch of solid people.

I try to have fun with everything golf related so even though I'm working hard at my game I keep it fun because in the end it's just a game and a break from real life.

1. What have you had to do differently to make the time for the prep?j The new job has allowed a place and time to get more practice and prep in than any other winter in the past.

2. Do you practice with a purpose or just swing/putt/chip? So far it's been with a purpose, one range session with a few DMV'ers where we had target practice competiton, and one on course practice where I worked on getting the feel and distance of the new clubs. Like Emart I've been doing some mirror work and slow motion swings in my office, when I want to take a break

3. What is your plan to prevent let down if you don't get to your end goal? As long as I feel I have put forth an honest effort in trying to obtain it, I won't have a let down. If I put in the work and effort, I'll be proud of that, event if the end result isn't what my ultimate goals laid out in the 2016 goal thread (15 HC or less by the end of 2016 season, and at least 20 rounds played and breaking 90 at least once by June 1)

4. What is your plan to prevent post event blues (not normal thp event blues) meaning the you worked so hard now it it is over feeling? While I hope to make the team/event, the work I'm putting in is for the long term, not just the event so there should be no post event blues, other than the normal missing the company of the guys.

5. Final question and most important to me. What are you guys doing to keep this process fun for yourselves? It's golf, enough said for me. Everything about golf is fun.

Here are my answers:

So far, I haven't been able to change much. I have been putting inside, but the weather during my free time has been horrible, so I haven't been able to get out yet. As soon as I am able, I'll be working on my irons.

I think you have to practice with a purpose. Why practice without one?

I won't be let down if I don't reach my goal. I am going to work as hard as I am able in the time that I have. If it isn't good enough, I will know I have put everything I have into it and won't be depressed.

After event blues is usually an issue for me. In 2012 I worked my ass off to run a half marathon. I lost 25 lbs, got in great shape for the event and did wonderfully. Afterwards, I didn't have anything planned to look forward to and I gained all the weight back and lost everything I had built. I know now that I have to plan for something after the event, before the event even arrives, or suffer the same consequences.

Fun is what golf is all about for me. If what I do in my "free" time isn't fun, it isn't worth doing. I don't think I'll get to the point where I start resenting the event and/or practice, but if I do, I'll step back for a few days and remember why I play golf.

I'm definitely looking forward to meeting a bunch of the guys in the area and that will be a lot of fun.

Back