THP Regional Rivalry - NY/NJ vs New England - Sponsored By True Temper

What is your current handicap or your average score?

What is your target for event time? How do you plan on getting there?
My target is 10-11, depending upon how many rounds I can get in when the handicap opens back up at my home course. I plan on getting there by working through the winter using Swingbyte and my golf coach to create a consistent swing. I'm already seeing positive results, just need to keep at it.

What are your strengths on the course?
Putting, replacing divots, occasionally long drives that find the fairway, and having fun.

What are your weaknesses? How do you work around them?
My wayward drives that always seem to find a tree to park behind. I'm working on this over the winter, playing more within my swing and staying smooth.

Describe the courses you play most often. Layout/yardage/difficulty
My home course (montaupcc.com) plays at roughly 6300yds, par 71 (70.9/125). 3 tough opening holes, relatively narrow fairways with trouble to the left on most holes.

Do you tend to be a conservative or aggressive player? If different across aspects of the game, feel free to split this up.
If I'm in a good place off the tee, I tend to play a more conservative second shot (depending upon format), if in trouble I can often compound the problem by playing aggressively from a bad spot.

What is your favorite team format? Why?
I like Modified Pinehurst and shabmles

What type of golfer do you think you'd best be paired up with? This can include skills, personality - anything goes.
I'm really best with people who can have fun, shake off a bad shot, celebrate good shots (for either team), somewhat competitive in that they want to play well but not so competitive that it throws off their whole game and demeanor if things go south. Skills wise, I ham & egg best with someone who is consistent (not necessarily long) off the tee and solid with greens in reg. This allows me to swing freely off the tee and show off my putting.

In a competitive match, are you "all business", one to kid around and socialize, or somewhere in between?
See question above, competitive but fun first. Socialize and encourage/celebrate others good shots. After all, we are paying to play and have a good time, not paid to play and trying to support our lifestyle.

Finally, stealing this from 441 since I love how blunt it is
Why should I pick you?
To quote the great SNL philosopher Stuart Smalley "Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnet; people like me."

What is your current handicap or your average score? My OOB handicap is currently 24.5. I score anywhere from 93 to 110 based on the course, conditions, and how much beer or sweet Madeiran wine I've consumed during the round

What is your target for event time? How do you plan on getting there? My target is to be an approx. 18 handicap by the round. My plan is to work on my swing over the winter on an indoor sim, as well as getting a few more lessons from the former club pro I began working with last summer. He also played mini-tours, so I'll be sure to have him work with me on how to handle on-course pressure and how to deal with competition. I will also be working on my overall physical fitness at the gym 3x per week - cardio and core are both big areas I have been working on lately.

What are your strengths on the course? My short game has traditionally been my strongest point, as well as my ability to somehow find lyrical snippets from Hamilton: The Musical to fit nearly any situation.

What are your weaknesses? How do you work around them? My biggest weakness to date has been my tee game, which has been coming around thanks to some serious work towards the end of 2015. However it can still cause lost strokes and bad lies, when that happens I have no problem hitting fairway or 4i in order to put myself in the best possible position. Mentally I can sometimes grow frustrated, much like the rest of us, and that's been a constant work in progress to learn to take things one shot at a time.

Describe the courses you play most often. My home course (Hawthorne CC) is a 5,655 yard par 70 course that appears short on paper, but is extremely hilly which lengthens nearly all shots. It's allowed me to really work on distance control and playing to the course's strengths.

I also commonly play a public course (Rochester Golf Club) that's a 5,300 yard par 69 course that has some very narrow fairways and lots of water. Shot selection is crucial and helps me work on my course management.

Finally, I'm a big fan of Augusta in Rory McIlroy Golf on my PS4. The greens are crazy tricky, though.

Do you tend to be a conservative or aggressive player? I tend to play fairly conservatively; I'm not someone who can mash the ball off the tee, or the fairway, or the traps, or the rough, or the cart path, or the patio that overlooks the 9th green at my home course, so I nearly always go for the safe shot. Unless there's a lot of Madeiran wine involved (See answer #1).

What is your favorite team format? Why? I'm a huge fan of shambles as I'm not the greatest off the tee, but my irons and short game can really help the team. I'm also basing this answer off of the fact that I've never played any other format aside from a scramble or shamble.

What type of golfer do you think you'd best be paired up with? A teammate with an even keel and a long tee game would be great. If they brought the beer and knew all of Burr's raps from Hamilton so I could exclusively focus on rapping A. Ham and Lafayette's parts, that would be even better.

In a competitive match, are you "all business", one to kid around and socialize, or somewhere in between? I kid around up front and I'm all business in the back. OH WAIT, that was my haircut in 1989, sorry. I'm definitely a socializer, but I can absolutely bear down when it's crunch time.

Why should I pick you? I've lived my whole life in MA, so my accent is pretty solid at this point. Also, I like to have fun out on the course and want to do my absolute best to represent NE and THP. I will be the first to admit my game is nowhere close to that of so many other great players in our region, and I would not be upset in the slightest if I did not make the team because I know some well deserving (and well playing) golfers made the cut. But given the opportunity, I'd absolutely do everything I could to help the team win, even if it means singing Rush songs incredibly off key while Team NY/NJ are in their backswing. I'll take one for the team!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unofficially 17.5, but started last season well over 20. My average score is high 80s to low 90s.
My goal for this past season was to get under 18 for the first time. Next season, I'd like to get down around 15. I plan on getting on a simulator and working on putting in my basement during the winter, and hope to get on the course (ideally with THPers) early in the Spring to get a jump on things.
Knowing the state of my game; what shots I can make more often than not and what shots are high risk. I would like to think that I use that to maximize each shot in any given situation.
My weakness is my consistency. Days that I find fairways off the tee, my putter might not show up, and vice versa. I try to make the appropriate adjustments to account for whatever I am struggling with to work around it and minimize any negative effect.
The courses I typically play have some forced carries and tree lined fairways (Maplegate, Wentworth Hills). I usually play whatever tees are around 5,500-6,200 yards and slope around 120.
Do you tend to be a conservative or aggressive player? If different across aspects of the game, feel free to split this up.
I tend to be conservative off the tee and aggressive with iron and approach shots. I'd like try to set myself up in a good position off the tee and then be able to weigh my options from there, as opposed to taking the risk and getting myself in trouble. Not that it always works, but that's the game plan.
I have not played in too many team format events outside of best ball scrambles, but from an outsider's prospective, I like the alternate shot format. I think it would force both players to have a solid all around game, we well as trust in and rely on their partner to make the best play possible.
What type of golfer do you think you'd best be paired up with? This can include skills, personality - anything goes.
I could go two ways with this; one would be a player that is better than me because my competitiveness would want to try to play up to their level, or someone the same as me; a mix of serious and laid back.
In a competitive match, are you "all business", one to kid around and socialize, or somewhere in between?
Somewhere in between; growing up playing baseball, I appreciate competition, especially with a team, but know that at the end of the day everyone is here to have a good time.
Why should I pick you?
I like to party. Honestly though, growing up in MA you're born into the NY/NE rivalry and I would love to be able to represent my home in my first official THP event.

Question for anyone in regards to this #THPRegionalRivalry.

If you were to get in what is the one thing you're most excited for?

The course? Playing a team event? Teeing up with THPers? A chance at the MVP experience? Representing your region? Something else entirely?

For me it would have to be teeing it up THPers, I've played a lot of golf and by far my favorite and most memorable rounds have come while playing with all of you (of course owning bragging rights over NY/NJ is a close second :alien:).

So what say you?

Im not in it, but for me it would be a chance at winning MVP.
Playing with THPers is great. My favorite actually.
Team Events are fantastic.

All expenses paid trip...Never happens (well it does sometimes on THP).

For me it would be the whole THP event aspect of it.

I've made so many friends, and learned a lot, thanks to this forum. Being able to say that I was in an official THP event and representing my home region would be awesome. The whole experience would be my biggest takeaway and reason.

The course? Playing a team event? Teeing up with THPers? A chance at the MVP experience? Representing your region? Something else entirely?

For me it would have to be teeing it up THPers, I've played a lot of golf and by far my favorite and most memorable rounds have come while playing with all of you (of course owning bragging rights over NY/NJ is a close second :alien:).

So what say you?

Gonna go cliche and say all of it that you listed, that's what makes THP events so awesome, and team events only elevate that.

Absolutely gorgeous course:
Team Event(With THPers):
Representing NY/NJ region for the forum:

Having just played a team event, I can't stop smiling just thinking about the experiences you go through together and that's not just your team, the other team is only your opponent on paper. When you realize Golf is Fun your a winner just playing with the right attitude.

Added: I did not leave out MVP because it is not amazing, True Temper and THP have come up with a dream trip for any golfer. Having just seen some of the inside of this with an OEM recently I would totally want a teammate or opponent to be MVP if I were lucky enough to be 1/16 of the representatives in this event. Maybe that's dumb but I'm still smiling about what I was fortunate enough to have had experienced.

Although I just laughed a little, maybe that will experience will be making me have quite the itch for that knowledge come June!

So what say you?

I think the big one is the chance for that MVP, with representing a region of THP a close second. True Temper is a company who's been really great at interacting with THP, and I've learned a ton from them - the MVP is going to get a chance to be in a real small group and see exactly what goes into those products. Behind those is probably getting the chance to play competitive team golf.

So what say you?

For me playing with THP'ers is always a blast. Add the team environment and the competition, it takes it to another level. The chance of MVP is amazing. Representing my region is downright special

To me its a mix of everything and winning the MVP would just be a crazy amazing experience on top of that. Playing in THP events at awsome courses with amazing people and competition is as good as it gets to me. The MVP is the ultimate reward from this but I almost would think of it as a seperate experience if I won it.

If I get in, I'm most excited to be part of another THP team event with a chance at another MVP title and HoF tag.

It would be my first official THP event. I'd get to pop my cherry.

The course? Yes Playing a team event? Yes Teeing up with THPers? Yes
A chance at the MVP experience? Who wouldn't want this?
Representing your region? Absolutely

You don't own them yet, and don't count on it anytime soon either.

So what say you?

All answered above

The course? Playing a team event? Teeing up with THPers? A chance at the MVP experience? Representing your region?

Yup!

11.6, somewhere in the 80s

10 something? just something that will travel everywhere really. Regular practice

Normally fairways and not many penalty strokes

What are your weaknesses? How do you work around them? Putting

Describe the courses you play most often. Varies, yardage usually 6300-6550, difficulty is normal(126)

Do you tend to be a conservative or aggressive player? conservative

What is your favorite team format? Why? I'm really ok with any of them

What type of golfer do you think you'd best be paired up with? Easy going and can hit drives further than 220

In a competitive match, are you "all business", one to kid around and socialize, or somewhere in between? I'm somewhere in between, business needs taken care of but fun must be had

Why should I pick you?
Because when 441 did he got another HOF tag

Being so new to actually being active on THP, every aspect is exciting to me. Finally getting to meet so many of the people I've been reading for so long, playing in a exciting team event, and playing a new course would all be amazing. Top that off with the MVP opportunity...How sweet it that!

11.6, somewhere in the 80s

10 something? just something that will travel everywhere really. Regular practice

Normally fairways and not many penalty strokes

What are your weaknesses? How do you work around them? Putting

Describe the courses you play most often. Varies, yardage usually 6300-6550, difficulty is normal(126)

Do you tend to be a conservative or aggressive player? conservative

What is your favorite team format? Why? I'm really ok with any of them

What type of golfer do you think you'd best be paired up with? Easy going and can hit drives further than 220

In a competitive match, are you "all business", one to kid around and socialize, or somewhere in between? I'm somewhere in between, business needs taken care of but fun must be had

Why should I pick you?
Because when 441 did he got another HOF tag

I can't believe I have to give you 2 pops. That's boss right there.

--

What is your current handicap or your average score? 11.2

What is your target for event time? How do you plan on getting there? 8
What are your strengths on the course? short iron and around the green
What are your weaknesses? How do you work around them? not consistent with driver
Describe the courses you play most often. Layout/yardage/difficulty a little hilly, 6600 yards,128
Do you tend to be a conservative or aggressive player? If different across aspects of the game, feel free to split this up. can play both very well

What is your favorite team format? Why? better ball, keeps both players focused and in the hole longer
What type of golfer do you think you'd best be paired up with? This can include skills, personality - anything goes. I can be both aggressive and conservative so either for me
In a competitive match, are you "all business", one to kid around and socialize, or somewhere in between? I like to consider my self a little intense and use humor to lighten the mood when needed

Why should I pick you? cause I am from ny....lol could not resist here!!!!!

I think one of the things that will be especially fun about this event is that the style of course won't be any surprises to anyone. I'm guessing a lot of the courses we play week to week are at pretty similar - the Ranch is very much a Northeast golf course.

--

What is your current handicap or your average score? 7.5
What is your target for event time? 5
How do you plan on getting there? Practice and rounds. League and money matches

What are your strengths on the course? Putting, irons and short game.
What are your weaknesses? Driver How do you work around them? 3 Deep
Describe the courses you play most often. 6500 71/122 Layout/yardage/difficulty
Do you tend to be a conservative or aggressive player? Aggressive most of the time. Haven't met a pin I don't like. If different across aspects of the game, feel free to split this up.

What is your favorite team format? Really don't have a favorite enjoy them all. If pushed would lean to alt shot Why? Not afraid of any shot or situation. Like the strategy involved
What type of golfer do you think you'd best be paired up with? This can include skills, personality - anything goes. Pretty easy going pair me up with anybody
In a competitive match, are you "all business", one to kid around and socialize, or somewhere in between? Pretty much business. Once I get in a zone I kind of stay there. Still can have some fun though.

[/FONT]Why should I pick you? Because, I would love to be a first timer.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

If you were to get in what is the one thing you're most excited for? Team play for sure. I love playing in team events. Also throw in playing for my region, for Ddec, and a opportunity for a chance at MVP? Count me in!

So what say you?

Answer above in bold!

My GHIN has me at 11.0, but I don't feel like I've been playing to that level. If you counted my end of year rounds after the cutoff, it's probably closer to 13ish.

Single digits - even if it's 9.9. Taking a set of lessons this winter, and working on a consistent setup routine.

Surprisingly (to me) it's been my tee game this year. When I'm on, ball striking with irons.

Overall consistency - see the "when I'm on" qualifier above. I'll have my swing disappear on me, and it's my job to minimize misses until I get things back, and make sure I don't press. My sand game also needs work - I'll minimize that by playing to my misses. I'll play to the "safe" side of the green if I think there's a good chance I'll end up in a bunker.

Play a mix of courses. I play Butternut Farm is Stow a lot with my wife - the course is short and tight, and rewards shotmaking. My league for work is at Hickory Hill in Methuen which is very much your run of the mill New England course. Low to mid 6000s, some elevation changes, mid-sized greens.

More conservative than aggressive, but I'll change this based on how I'm feeling about different aspects of my game that day. I'm not one to try the "hero shot" unless I'm out of the hole without it.

Pinehurst or alt shot. I love the true team nature of those formats.

I'll get along with anyone on the course. But if we're being honest, I play best with people who keep it light. If someone shuts down after a bad shot and goes quiet, or starts throwing things, it's a harder fit - that's not to say people can't get frustrated. I was kind of that guy for a short while when I first came back to the game, so it's something I'm sensitive to.

I play to win, but if I'm not enjoying myself and the company out there, what's the point? If my opponent hits a fantastic shot to close me out, I'm honestly going to be excited for them. Good golf is fun to watch!

Why should I pick you?
N/A

It pains me to say but I won't be in the running for this. The date falls on our anniversary weekend so I'll be following from the sidelines. Team NE, DO YOUR JOB!

It pains me to say but I won't be in the running for this. The date falls on our anniversary weekend so I'll be following from the sidelines. Team NE, DO YOUR JOB!

Sorry to hear, Rob. We'll get this done.

Sorry to hear, Rob. We'll get this done.

I'll be there in spirit. If I can talk the Mrs into a road trip for the day, maybe a nearby antique or jewelry store, I'll find a way to see you guys on 18

Back