Throwback Thursday - TaylorMade InerGel Golf Balls

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
The Inergel golf ball was the first golf ball launched by TaylorMade in 1999. TaylorMade developed a new cover called "InerGel" which they felt was superior to the Surlyn and Balata being used in the market. This was also a critical launch in that Callaway was in a race to also launch their own golf ball, the Rule 35. InerGel was co-developed with Solomon, who was also part of the Adidas sports conglomerate of the last 90's.

What made the InerGel golf ball most unique however was its packaging. Rather than come in the sleeves we still use today, they came in sealed plastic containers that were deemed to prevent moisture which would lead to distance loss.

Golf balls made with a solid core and soft cover can absorb moisture that will affect ball performance, says Dean Snell, golf ball development manager for Taylor Made Golf. So when the Carlsbad, CA-based company sought a package for its new Inergel(TM) golf balls, it wanted a barrier container.

Called airtight, this first-of-its-kind plastic sleeve, developed by Taylor Made and consultant The Baxter Group (Sherman, CT), keeps the new balls fresh and dry. Blow-molded from a blend of high-density/low-density polyethylene, the HDPE keeps moisture out while the LDPE provides flexibility. The sleeve, which received a patent in March, is called Moisture Block(TM).

"The phenomenon of velocity loss over time has been downplayed by competitors over the last few years," says Snell. "But I can guarantee it's true." He claims that moisture absorbed by balls packed in conventional paperboard folding cartons over one year can shorten a drive by 12 to 14 yards. The plastic sleeve exhibits an MVTR of below 0.4 g/100 sq"/24 hr.

The InerGel ball had an MSRP of $48.00 per dozen.

ilni3qX.png

Arguably the year's most important launch, as Taylor Made takes its massive reputation into unchartered territory with their debut ball. The stylish plastic sleeve sets the theme with the ball cover also sporting a novel waterproofing agent. And all for a simple reason. "We estimate that golf balls can lose as much as 6 yards in distance by being exposed to moisture - even from the damp atmosphere," explains Ryan Lauder, European Product Manager.

And, courtesy of a special polymer that makes up this multi-layer construction, Taylor Made claims to have cracked the time-honoured spin dilemma.

"We feel the Inergel offers the best of both worlds," continues Lauder. "Namely: low spin off the driver, where the ball cover recovers quickly from a square-on blow; but high spin from the downward strike of a short iron."

YESSSSS!!!! I remember when these came out!

The Inergel golf ball was the first golf ball launched by TaylorMade in 1999. TaylorMade developed a new cover called "InerGel" which they felt was superior to the Surlyn and Balata being used in the market. This was also a critical launch in that Callaway was in a race to also launch their own golf ball, the Rule 35. InerGel was co-developed with Solomon, who was also part of the Adidas sports conglomerate of the last 90's.

What made the InerGel golf ball most unique however was its packaging. Rather than come in the sleeves we still use today, they came in sealed plastic containers that were deemed to prevent moisture which would lead to distance loss.

The InerGel ball had an MSRP of $48.00 per dozen.

ilni3qX.png
I used to have these. A lot of them actually. TM rep back in the day when I worked at a golf shop gave us boxes of them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I really like this idea for a recurring thread that you came up with Fupresti. Fun / good stuff.

Really glad golf balls have come a long way since that ball. Eesh it wasn't good at all

Great thread idea and an awesome lead off with this ball. Thanks for sharing.

These were before my time in golf, but that packaging looks awesome!

I knew i still had a box of those i wonder if they are still good?
6065c2bcb04c4a9d8c7eae2dac0d0ff2.jpg
6843e0613a8a07ad2a8d3d2df2849d21.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I honestly can't remember these balls at all. Maybe because I had a 1 year old at the time and had just started a new job. I think I only played 6 or 7 rounds of golf that summer.

I knew i still had a box of those i wonder if they are still good?

Oh yeah! They should have stayed "moisture free" in that awesome packaging. Classics man! I'll take'em off your hands. :banana:

They actually look and feel fine LMAO
10d3ff25aed66488ee120d7c63d32996.jpg

Had this pamphlet in it, who's that golfer? Lol old school
fabdcc7c74c351ccfbe49486d3654f36.jpg
0946f3f404fa0ae941aa68ff8df89f60.jpg

I might've used those sleeves for holding something besides golf balls.......

Damn madi the coloring still looks perfect. Never hit those. I think in '99 I was playing a Maxfli ball.

This must have been during my hiatus from golf I don't remember these at all

Now that’s blast from the past!! Used quite a few of these in my day!

Damn madi the coloring still looks perfect. Never hit those. I think in '99 I was playing a Maxfli ball.
Yeah i know, i would have thought they would yellowed a little bit, they are not as hard feeling as i remembered either

Like half my high school golf team used those. We were all on the TM Burner / Firesole kick

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I always wanted these because of the packaging.

Like half my high school golf team used those. We were all on the TM Burner / Firesole kick

FireSole hybrid was money.

I was working at the Carlsbad test range having robots hit golf balls at me when these were out. They were garbage compared to the stuff that was being tested but not yet released. The packaging was cool and used those to carry the far superior balls I got a whole bunch of after the robot hit them.

Still have my 8.5 200 Steel driver somewhere I got from thm

Don't remember these at all. Crazy to think that balls from almost 20 years ago were already at that near $50 mark.

MD90 was the ball to me at one point

Back