Throwing head covers at your caddy

This is a tough one and I feel for both guys in different ways. Player needs to get his mental game together but I think the throw was harmless. Just a d bag way of kicking a guy when he is down but harmless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not saying the dude shouldn’t be allowed on tour, I’m just saying it was wildly inappropriate. If my boss threw something at me, we would be having a conversation with HR right quick and in a hurry. If he had yelled at him or had an argument with him I wouldn’t be as bothered I don’t think. This was just outright disrespectful.

I respect that and you make good points. That's why I teach pe.... I just tell the principle that I didn't mean to hit that student with the ball and that they fly all over the place so nobody knows where the ball is going to fly :angel:

Kind of a d bag move especially since this wasn't a full time caddie with history. When Bubba yells at his caddie it is a way to take out frustration and almost part of the job description. Now all this contact hr stuff is silly as he is a contractor and what ever. If anything will cost him money later down the line if he makes the tour. The actual interesting part is if the caddie was right and the official messed it up and kinda covering with that statement.

I'm kinda surprised by the forgiving posts. Can I understand the peak frustration? Yup. Would I feel similarly? Yup, absolutely.

But his actual reaction was akin to a temper tantrum, literally like a child. I can't understand any adult in a similar circumstance, heightened emotion duly noted, ever throwing a tantrum and for it to be understandable.

He's a wuss.

I'm well aware that even a distant examination of my life on or off the golf course could yield dozens of threads ripping my behavior apart. I will never claim to have it all figured out.

He apologized to those "that took offense to my behaviors" not for the actual behavior itself. These are the actions of a man who thinks his caddy is beneath him and is only sorry he got caught, in clear violation of rule #1.

I break it all the time, sure. But that doesn't make this any more excusable.

This. That “apology” is right up there with I am sorry you were offended at what I said. The non-apology apology.

I'm surprised no one brought up that this is assault! Regardless of how little it would have hurt the person, just like how spitting on someone won't cause any damage but is an offense. This behavior is inexcusable and his apology is even worse.

man there's a lot of Perfect People on the internet

I see where you're coming from Dan, and if this were a Bubba like instance of him just chewing out his caddie I would be saying the same thing. No a putter cover isn't painful, but it's still firmly across the line in my opinion.

I would even feel differently if he'd issued a proper apology, I think there's a big difference in apologizing for your behavior and just apologizing that people got offended by it. That said more about his character than the cover toss, in my opinion. His apology wasn't made in the heat of the moment.

I fully agree that in general a lot of things get blown out of proportion today, but I think this guy is deserving of the negative press he is getting.

I'm not supporting his actions, I just found the comments like 'get him off staff' or 'kick him off tour' to be a bit of a reach for that kind of action. Put a club or a ball or pretty much anything actual painful in his hands and my comments are totally different, I just happen to have a bit of leeway when it comes to pressure and (physically) harmless reactions (read: tantrums).

Also, I think a lot of people are taking his tweet out of context. "Unfortunately my caddy was involved with a ruling on the 18th that caused me to fall from t2 to 3rd. My actions were less then professional and I apologize to my caddy and those that took offense to my behaviors." He is clearly apologizing to his caddy for the decision and admits it was unprofessional. I agree with both.

I see nothing wrong with what he did. How many Pro's yell at teammates, slame helmets, water coolers, and the list goes on. Is it the right way to handle it, is it something we want kids seeing, no it is not. But when you are a top level competitor trying to make your living on something I see why this happens. I know I have done things when I was mad with sports and I know others have too. If this is Tom Brady next Sunday all the reports will talk about how he is a competitor and wants to win.

But really this comes down to the PGA having stupid rules.

I just don't see the comparison to football which is an entirely different arena. You're talking about a gladiator sport versus a gentleman's game. Football is a game where people have to leave society behind and transform themselves in to something else when they walk between the lines. That's not to say that there are no rules of sportsmanship because their certainly are, but it's a violent sport where people are in a completely different emotional frame of mind during a game. Golf is supposed to be a reflection of who we are, or are supposed to be, in real life. That's why we have rules of etiquette, self police the rules, etc. I know you know all this, I'm just saying I can't buy the comparison. It's far more comparable to owning a business and how you treat others and employees. As I said earlier, I have gotten really mad at my assistant here and for good reason many times. I've raised my voice, probably said a few things I wish I hadn't, etc. But there's not a bone in my body that would consider taking this empty water bottle that's sitting next to me right now and tossing it at her face. If I did I would expect her to quit and I would also expect a visit from her husband soon after and I would deserve what I got.

I'm not supporting his actions, I just found the comments like 'get him off staff' or 'kick him off tour' to be a bit of a reach for that kind of action. Put a club or a ball or pretty much anything actual painful in his hands and my comments are totally different, I just happen to have a bit of leeway when it comes to pressure and (physically) harmless reactions (read: tantrums).

Also, I think a lot of people are taking his tweet out of context. "Unfortunately my caddy was involved with a ruling on the 18th that caused me to fall from t2 to 3rd. My actions were less then professional and I apologize to my caddy and those that took offense to my behaviors." He is clearly apologizing to his caddy for the decision and admits it was unprofessional. I agree with both.

He shouldn't be disciplined by the tour. I wouldn't be on board with fans demanding Wilson take him off staff, but that's a really bad look for a brand that doesn't get much air time these days so if they parted ways with him, that's his own fault.

Oh well...it's definitely an interesting discussion. Certainly moreso than most you get this time of year on a golf forum.

I just don't see the comparison to football which is an entirely different arena. You're talking about a gladiator sport versus a gentleman's game. Football is a game where people have to leave society behind and transform themselves in to something else when they walk between the lines. That's not to say that there are no rules of sportsmanship because their certainly are, but it's a violent sport where people are in a completely different emotional frame of mind during a game. Golf is supposed to be a reflection of who we are, or are supposed to be, in real life. That's why we have rules of etiquette, self police the rules, etc. I know you know all this, I'm just saying I can't buy the comparison. It's far more comparable to owning a business and how you treat others and employees. As I said earlier, I have gotten really mad at my assistant here and for good reason many times. I've raised my voice, probably said a few things I wish I hadn't, etc. But there's not a bone in my body that would consider taking this empty water bottle that's sitting next to me right now and tossing it at her face. If I did I would expect her to quit and I would also expect a visit from her husband soon after and I would deserve what I got.
Maybe I'm just more competitive because I have the same approach and feelings as when I am playing a competitive round, baseball, football, or a board game. I truly believe that Tiger would approach playing football the same way he plays golf. I just don't see it as that big of a deal. I find it funny that so many Thpers are all high and mighty. I'm just being honest and calling a spade a spade,because if I was in that same situation there is a good chance I would have done the same. Now I too would have apologized and would have made it up to the caddy. But we are all entitled to our opinions no one is right or wrong, you have a very valid point either way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

man there's a lot of Perfect People on the internet

Best statement on this thread.....

My two cents;
Man is fighting for a tour card, every dollar counts. That penalty cost him 16K. I know I'd have a really hard time keeping me cool if a "debatable" infraction was called. The caddie posted a video after the fact and was pretty open about the situation, the rules official and his player and his actions.

Personally I think he was being disrespectful to his caddy, the fact that it was caught on TV as well just magnifies the situation. Just because it was a putter cover doesn't make it any less wrong than if it were a ball or a club

To me, it is the same as snapping a club after a bad shot, or throwing a club (or anything else for that matter), and shows the true character of the person involved. I get that they can have a lot on the line at times and I can accept a heat of the moment choice word if it is followed by an apology, but as professionals they should be portraying a good example to youngsters who may well look up to them

He threw a headcover at the caddie, in frustration. I'm thinking that lots of people might do the same. It was his actions after the fact that label him a jerk. A proper apology or handshake / shoulder hug, etc. would have been appropriate, I think.

The caddy should have chucked his clubs in the lake afer being fired.

Now, the REALLY interesting part of this thread: The Jman and 441 Battle Royale. 441 has the bulk, but Jman has the lanky frame that can belie serious strength. Let the gauntlet....errr...headcover be thrown!!

The caddy should have chucked his clubs in the lake afer being fired.

Now, the REALLY interesting part of this thread: The Jman and 441 Battle Royale. 441 has the bulk, but Jman has the lanky frame that can belie serious strength. Let the gauntlet....errr...headcover be thrown!!

Oh no, I meant Dean, not Mike Dean. Though neither scare me.

Mistakes happen but to throw anything at your caddy for a simple mistake is bad form if I was his caddy he would be wearing the clubs if he throw anything at me

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

If I throw something at someone at work because I’m pissed, I’m out of a job and I’m a giant jerk. End of story.

Don’t @ me.

How about just get em both, a 2-fer. Just make sure the 4th guy in your group is filming the action.

And, just like that, the showdown(s) are on.

Best statement on this thread......

Hmmm. Pretty sure that’s not even close to what’s being said. Most of the outrage is from people who admit they’ve lost their temper, but there’s a difference between a mistake and a mistake that is unacceptable or crosses the line. Just because you’re critical of someone’s behavior doesn’t mean you’re perfect or have to be perfect.

Well I made the mistake of looking at this thread, what a waste of valuable time....who cares what these guys do, they are not paying your bills or babysitting your kids.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well I made the mistake of looking at this thread, what a waste of valuable time....who cares what these guys do, they are not paying your bills or babysitting your kids.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Probably because people don’t want this sport to turn into the NFL where you have a bunch of hooligans doing whatever the hell they want.

Maybe I'm just more competitive because I have the same approach and feelings as when I am playing a competitive round, baseball, football, or a board game. I truly believe that Tiger would approach playing football the same way he plays golf. I just don't see it as that big of a deal. I find it funny that so many Thpers are all high and mighty. I'm just being honest and calling a spade a spade,because if I was in that same situation there is a good chance I would have done the same. Now I too would have apologized and would have made it up to the caddy. But we are all entitled to our opinions no one is right or wrong, you have a very valid point either way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I didn’t say one sport was more competitive than the other, I never underestimate how competitive golfers are at all levels. I’m just saying that the rules of what’s acceptable are completely different.

Best statement on this thread.....

My two cents;
Man is fighting for a tour card, every dollar counts. That penalty cost him 16K. I know I'd have a really hard time keeping me cool if a "debatable" infraction was called. The caddie posted a video after the fact and was pretty open about the situation, the rules official and his player and his actions.

No, it was just another tone deaf comment on the thread. No one's talking about being perfect, we’re only saying that there are certain lines you shouldn’t cross. I can’t believe on a golf forum we need to discuss whether or not tossing your head cover in someone else’s face is a big deal or not. Try it with someone at your course this weekend...tell them you’re sorry but you were just being competitive, and then let us know on Monday how it goes.

Back