Tiger Woods & Chris Como Done?

Sure is, but he is not all that accurate here. Nobody can watch the Foley thing and not think he got some credit when Tiger was hot. Hell, the casual fan had no idea who he was and all of the sudden he was this amazing coach opening up camps all over the world. The same can be said for Haney. Haney was a top teacher, but he was not getting a TV Show or anything else without the success that Tiger Woods helped bring him (and vice versa).

so you're saying foley got too much credit for tiger's 5-win season, and not enough blame when tiger's game went to sh1t? i don't think tiger gave enough time - or to be more specific, uninjured time - to foley before he switched off, and i sure don't think he gave como enough time if this all ends up being true.

maybe i just notice more of the foley hate (not saying you're hating on foley) because a lot of what foley says makes sense to me, but it seems to me like foley has been much maligned and ridiculed and specifically blamed for tiger's current state, more so than any other coach in golf history. sure, it comes with the territory when you work with the most visible golfer in the world, but if i was a well-established coach with a stable of very decent pros, and i'm no spring chicken, what's in it for me to be tiger's coach? so i guess i'm curious to know where you think mike bender was "not all that accurate?"

Completely agree, on all points. At this point I am not sure a teacher can help. I think we need to see more of what I am watching now. Hit it and go get it, take the good with the bad and learn how to play the game again. He has swing that can compete, he has a mental lapse that cannot.

Well....whatever the hell is going on, he seems to have found a little bit of something today.

so you're saying foley got too much credit for tiger's 5-win season, and not enough blame when tiger's game went to sh1t? i don't think tiger gave enough time - or to be more specific, uninjured time - to foley before he switched off, and i sure don't think he gave como enough time if this all ends up being true.

maybe i just notice more of the foley hate (not saying you're hating on foley) because a lot of what foley says makes sense to me, but it seems to me like foley has been much maligned and ridiculed and specifically blamed for tiger's current state, more so than any other coach in golf history. sure, it comes with the territory when you work with the most visible golfer in the world, but if i was a well-established coach with a stable of very decent pros, and i'm no spring chicken, what's in it for me to be tiger's coach? so i guess i'm curious to know where you think mike bender was "not all that accurate?"

I stated exactly why he was not all that accurate. The coach gets a TON of credit when Tiger is on. They also get a ton of blame when his game was complete ****, which it had been under Foley for a long time. Im not sure if you missed it, but look back when Tiger signed on with Hank and what happened. Then look at Haney when Tiger fired him. He was CRUCIFIED, despite being honest. Every coach Tiger has had moved on to more success after him than before him. Every single one of them.

I stated exactly why he was not all that accurate. The coach gets a TON of credit when Tiger is on. They also get a ton of blame when his game was complete ****, which it had been under Foley for a long time. Im not sure if you missed it, but look back when Tiger signed on with Hank and what happened. Then look at Haney when Tiger fired him. He was CRUCIFIED, despite being honest. Every coach Tiger has had moved on to more success after him than before him. Every single one of them.
I don't see Como moving to the success others have seen though if at all. in fact I think this may have hurt him. With Haney and Foley Tiger had success in the form of many victories. As bad as many felt Foley was for Tiger he still had multiple wins and was number 1under him, with Como he's got more cuts than top 25's. I think at this point coaching or whatever he claimed Como did for him is a loosing cause unless he wins something.

Every coach Tiger has had moved on to more success after him than before him. Every single one of them.
This is so true. Every one of them is a household name and has gotten more out of it than probably Tiger has. It's not a bad thing, just the way it is when you coach the biggest name golf. I'd reckon that the casual golf fan couldn't name the Rory's or Jordan's swing coach. Heck, I had to look it up. But everyone knows who's worked with Tiger. I'm not saying that Hank or Sean weren't great coaches before they worked with Tiger, but they didn't get the exposure that they did as a result of working with Tiger.

I don't see Como moving to the success others have seen though if at all. in fact I think this may have hurt him. With Haney and Foley Tiger had success in the form of many victories. As bad as many felt Foley was for Tiger he still had multiple wins and was number 1under him, with Como he's got more cuts than top 25's. I think at this point coaching or whatever he claimed Como did for him is a loosing cause unless he wins something.

Without question. And while its not done, its because he has been absolutely horrible since being with him.

This is so true. Every one of them is a household name and has gotten more out of it than probably Tiger has. It's not a bad thing, just the way it is when you coach the biggest name golf. I'd reckon that the casual golf fan couldn't name the Rory's or Jordan's swing coach. Heck, I had to look it up. But everyone knows who's worked with Tiger. I'm not saying that Hank or Sean weren't great coaches before they worked with Tiger, but they didn't get the exposure that they did as a result of working with Tiger.

Exactly. Hell nobody outside of the true diehard swing people knew most of these guys. They have all capitalized and we both know its not from a giant tip/bonus from Sir Woods of Perkinsville.

I think Tiger should hang out with Azinger for a week and see what happens.

media scrutiny and blame are what mike was referring to, not commercial success. you seem to be focused on the commercial success, which is a wonderful benefit of working with tiger, but not what mike was talking about. i don't know that mike is rolling in dough, but i have to think he's smart enough to know that the commercial success will come when you work with tiger, and the fact that the money just isn't worth it for him.

i remember very well the criticism haney received, and i don't think it was on the same level as foley. just my observation and opinion, you are certainly welcome to your own.

media scrutiny and blame are what mike was referring to, not commercial success. you seem to be focused on the commercial success, which is a wonderful benefit of working with tiger, but not what mike was talking about. i don't know that mike is rolling in dough, but i have to think he's smart enough to know that the commercial success will come when you work with tiger, and the fact that the money just isn't worth it for him.

i remember very well the criticism haney received, and i don't think it was on the same level as foley. just my observation and opinion, you are certainly welcome to your own.

To be fair, he achieved WAY more success with Haney than he did with Foley, which for the better part of a tenure was below average golf.

I will also say that if a top coach is worried more about media scrutiny, then they shouldnt take on any tour pros.

To be fair, he achieved WAY more success with Haney than he did with Foley, which for the better part of a tenure was below average golf.

so very true. the foley homer in me wishes that tiger wasn't injured, and had been able to give more of his focused and healthy self to foley's swing, because i think it would have been very good for him. but all we can do is look at the numbers, and they were pretty horrible with sean, and tiger wouldn't be the first pro to come away from sean playing worse golf than before.

I will also say that if a top coach is worried more about media scrutiny, then they shouldnt take on any tour pros.
At the time, the Haney switch seemed to be portrayed as something to reduce stress on Tiger's body. If I'm Tiger, I would take 4 majors and another knee surgery.

At the time, the Haney switch seemed to be portrayed as something to reduce stress on Tiger's body. If I'm Tiger, I would take 4 majors and another knee surgery.

So would he.

Well....whatever the hell is going on, he seems to have found a little bit of something today.
Don't worry he will remember he is struggling tomorrow. Lol

According to Tiger Tracker Como is with him on the range now

An instructor my son has dealt with, who knows Como well, says he talked to Como and the reports are "hogwash." Take that for what you will - I am just saying what I've heard. He'll probably be fired tomorrow!

My lunch will go down easier now, know TW and Chris are still a couple :bananadance:

After your late night texts last night, I knew you were struggling. Glad you're doing better now

Dude, Butch ain't getting any younger. Probably take at least two sessions and a lot of salty jokes to work this out. BTW your Tiger Woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris can't fix Tiger mid-round. Whatever happens between the last swing on the range and the green at 18 is Tiger's problem, not his coach's.

Chris can't fix Tiger mid-round. Whatever happens between the last swing on the range and the green at 18 is Tiger's problem, not his coach's.
For what it's worth, not everybody thought Tiger looked good on the range.

He can't use it under pressure yet and that's nothing Como can help him with. It's pretty obvious that his confidence is easily shaken - a couple bad shots and it looks like he starts playing golf swing instead of golf. Yesterday he started shaky and then hit some good shots, made a couple of birdies and got the confidence going, but it wasn't Saturday and he wasn't starting the day in contention. Saved a bogey on the last with a spectacular shot but should never have had to ....

Ill be honest here. I have no idea if this is true or not and leaning towards its not. But nthing surprises me anymore.

I don't know if I responded to this already b/c I am having eye problems and hence not on the cptr much lately but these rumors aren't true as of now. A very good friend of mine is One of Chris's closest friends and I am pretty sure I would've heard something. On a side note, Chris is a really nice guy (met him 3-4 times and talked golf) and is veryyyy smart and very passionate about the game. If Tiger leaves him early it will be a mistake on his part

Heard birdie saying it might be be over after this week. Cant confirm it but source is solid

Last edited:
Back