Tight window off the tee/blind drive

checkered

Team Paradise - 2023 Morgan Cup Champions!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
too high
Around here, some of the courses have some interesting tee box placements to get the further back tees back a bit. Last weekend I played a course I hadn't played in over 4 years, and never from the blue tees. I get to the 11th hole and this is my view off the tee:
20230917_111137.jpg

Where the person standing is, is the next tee box up (green there, they called them the "member" tees). The whites are further up, and below the tee box you can see. The fairway is down further than that.

How do you feel about courses with tees set up like this? Does your course have anything like this?

I managed to hit a drive through OK, but this was quite intimidating. Beautiful view though once you get down to the fairway.

Hate tee shots like that but it feels so good when you hit a good one through there

is that water way out there? That looks like an amazing view. A lake maybe down there?

That would be quite intimidating. A designer forcing you into that situation should make sure there's lots of room both ways once you get past the trees IMHO.

On most blind tee shots, if I haven't played the course before, I'll usually try to keep the ball where I can see it, even if it means just hitting an iron off the tee. Doesn't look like that's really an option in this case though.

Was this the exception for tee shots or somewhat normal for the course? It looks daunting

Hate tee shots like that but it feels so good when you hit a good one through there

I was pretty damn thrilled I got through.

is that water way out there? That looks like an amazing view. A lake maybe down there?

Possession Sound/Puget Sound with Whidbey Island off in the distance.

Seems unnecessary to me.

Was this the exception for tee shots or somewhat normal for the course? It looks daunting
There were a few holes like this, but this was the most extreme. One had a manmade platform to hold the teebox that was over a stream with the cart path bridge right next to it. Was strange. One (hole 8) was back in the trees a ways, but not as tight....though it had the added treat of a 215 yard forced carry to the fairway. Was warned about that one by the starter.

I was pretty damn thrilled I got through.

Possession Sound/Puget Sound with Whidbey Island off in the distance.
Thats awesome. I bet it looks better if you get a good tee shot in play. :)

I like it, a golf ball will easily fit through there. What looks to be the sound in the distance is awesome.

There are some really nice looking holes up in your neck of the woods. Love the acoustics of a well struck shot when playing in the pines.👌

My course used to have a hole like this. Thankfully a tornado took out the overhanging tree. Then they trimmed the low vegetation.
The hole is completely different now.

Thats awesome. I bet it looks better if you get a good tee shot in play. :)
You're right. Here's where I ended up. If I have my bearings right that's whidbey island on the right just sticking out and the Peninsula off in the distance.

20230917_111720.jpg

There were a few holes like this, but this was the most extreme. One had a manmade platform to hold the teebox that was over a stream with the cart path bridge right next to it. Was strange. One (hole 8) was back in the trees a ways, but not as tight....though it had the added treat of a 215 yard forced carry to the fairway. Was warned about that one by the starter.

it’s a brutal shot, I looked for my last one that I thought could be similar and it wasn’t even close.
IMG_3676.jpeg

This one scared me enough IMG_7053.jpeg

Those kind of tee shots are intimidating. Looks like you hit a great shot through it though! We used to play a course where one tee shot was a window through a canopy of mature oak trees. Too high, too low, too left or too right and you were reloading.

18th has a large tree that overhangs about 30 yds out on the left and wreaks havoc as it narrows the tee shot immensely since right is a tree lined property line.

That is one hell of a chute to hit out of.

That is crazy tight! I don't like that you can't see where your ball ends up but odds are mine is in the bushes anyway haha

Damn that's tight :oops:

My thoughts are
#1 Wow that is tight
#2 You want to play the Tips you should be able to hit it thru the window provided. They aren't meant to be played by Joe Blow.

Back