MarMill

Be Positive!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grint 8.10
Do you feel like tipping should be based on the actually service you receive vs the amount you spend?

Yes

I will typically tip based on price and irrespective of service. Tipping is lame but I make sure to take care of the servers with my tips.

I feel like there is a reckoning coming with tipping. Most places are crazy now....like the suggested tip is 25% or whatever with options for 30%. Or the 3 options are 20-25-30 with "other" if you want to tip anything else. Places that barely provide a service ask for tips now. Like fast food places or coffee shops

Tipping started because (insert voice of Mr Orange) waitressing was one of the few jobs anyone could get, and was commonly done by people working women trying to support a family and their tips helped them get by. Now i'm not sure what it's become....a grift

OK rant over.

I tip 15% on basically anything i buy that i feel merits a tip. unless the service was incredible, then more

Last edited:
If workers were paid reasonably, then yes. With the current setup I feel obligated.
I agree with this, but is it really your obligation or more the employer?

Indeed. Bag drop hop at the course yesterday got a hefty tip. Barmaid who sneered at the request for a coffee got stiffed. Probably the only stiffing she ever gets........

Indeed. Bag drop hop at the course yesterday got a hefty tip. Barmaid who sneered at the request for a coffee got stiffed. Probably the only stiffing she ever gets........
Ok, that was funny

Combination.

There are times the bill can be crazy high and the server did next to nothing. And vis versa.

Both…

My view of tipping has been expressed previously …..

My view of tipping has been expressed previously …..
The guy at the bag drop was just doing his job in an exemplary fashion, but not putting on a show about it. While we walked to the clubhouse I watched him strap out bags on the cart, make sure the towels and brushes that were attached to the bags weren't caught between them before cinching down the bags. Put an old towel in the basket before loading my 1/2 gallon growler in there (Gatorade. LOL) to keep the finish from getting scratched by the wire basket and keep rattling down. When we came out of the pro shop our cart was sitting there at the end of the walkway. We went down and took care of him before heading to the range.

It's a combination for me. I'll usually tip 20% even if the service is ordinary (but acceptable). Bad service will result in a smaller tip, and if somebody goes out of their way to be extra, it will reflect in their tip.

The customer is paying one way or another. If the employer couldn't pay them nothing, the food would just be more expensive.
Agreed, that money is coming from somewhere - and it usually means customers' wallets.

I'm going to try to avoid going down a rabbit hole here, but the whole "living wage" thing around those kinds of jobs is a joke. Most service industry jobs were originally intended as entry-level positions for young people just starting their employment history, or people who wanted part-time work to supplement their income. It was never intended that people would support a family/make a career out of flipping burgers or bussing tables. Even in the best of economic times that has never been a thing.

Bit of both, just depends on the circumstances

I will say I usually tip in the 20% for most things but it is getting to be more of a social experiment than anything.

The guy at the bag drop was just doing his job in an exemplary fashion, but not putting on a show about it. While we walked to the clubhouse I watched him strap out bags on the cart, make sure the towels and brushes that were attached to the bags weren't caught between them before cinching down the bags. Put an old towel in the basket before loading my 1/2 gallon growler in there (Gatorade. LOL) to keep the finish from getting scratched by the wire basket and keep rattling down. When we came out of the pro shop our cart was sitting there at the end of the walkway. We went down and took care of him before heading to the range.
See, that’s a great bag drop attendant. Doesn’t have to do that, but goes above and beyond.

I think half the time I sneak up on them and load my stuff up before they know I’m even there, then they have a minor panic attack when they see me click the cart into gear.

It's a combination for me. I'll usually tip 20% even if the service is ordinary (but acceptable). Bad service will result in a smaller tip, and if somebody goes out of their way to be extra, it will reflect in their tip.

Agreed, that money is coming from somewhere - and it usually means customers' wallets.

I'm going to try to avoid going down a rabbit hole here, but the whole "living wage" thing around those kinds of jobs is a joke. Most service industry jobs were originally intended as entry-level positions for young people just starting their employment history, or people who wanted part-time work to supplement their income. It was never intended that people would support a family/make a career out of flipping burgers or bussing tables. Even in the best of economic times that has never been a thing.
I don't completely disagree, but going home after an 8 hour shift having made less than $20 when I was a waiter in high school because we were dead and I didn't make any tips is absurd too.

I don't completely disagree, but going home after an 8 hour shift having made less than $20 when I was a waiter in high school because we were dead and I didn't make any tips is absurd too.
I know it varies from state to state, but it's my understanding that in AZ they can pay less than minimum wage to tipped employees - but if their tips don't make up the difference, they have to pay them the equivalent of minimum wage. Admittedly still not a living wage (nor is it intended to be), but at least they don't get totally screwed.

I get the feeling, though - I worked outside ops at my last golf course for a year after I retired, they paid $8 an hour. I was really in it for the free golf, not the pay, but it felt pretty ridiculous that at the end of an 8 hour day of busting your hump, you grossed $64 and netted somewhere around $42 if nobody tipped. I went back to being a marshal - we didn't get paid, but we worked less hours, less hard, and still got free golf.

I know it varies from state to state, but it's my understanding that in AZ they can pay less than minimum wage to tipped employees - but if their tips don't make up the difference, they have to pay them the equivalent of minimum wage. Admittedly still not a living wage (nor is it intended to be), but at least they don't get totally screwed.

I get the feeling, though - I worked outside ops at my last golf course for a year after I retired, they paid $8 an hour. I was really in it for the free golf, not the pay, but it felt pretty ridiculous that at the end of an 8 hour day of busting your hump, you grossed $64 and netted somewhere around $42 if nobody tipped. I went back to being a marshal - we didn't get paid, but we worked less hours, less hard, and still got free golf.
Yeah, this was the 90s too. No clue what the rules are now.

It tip 20% on sit down meals regardless of price (but before taxes are added). If the service is less than expected, I’ll tip less, but still at least 10% even for poor service. I won’t leave a tip for fast food or if I order online and pick it up.

Do you tip on the pre taxed amount or the full total?

Do you tip on the pre taxed amount or the full total?
A lot of times I do it on the total just because I'm lazy and it's simple. But it's my understanding that it should actually be based on the pre-tax amount.

It should be that is what it was originally Intended to be but sadly now everyone wants a tip for free

Back