Titleist DT TruSoft Golf Ball Preview

Still waiting to get out with these for the 1st time. Weather, work & family duties have taken precedence to my golf game lately. Putting on the mat in the house, ball feels great ... but again, that's in the house.

Tapatalk not cooperating for this thread so delayed at posting this feedback.

I played Mon/Tue in metro Denver with a couple THPers, Deer Creek and Bear Creek respectively. The weather on those days were polar opposite, Monday was sunny and in upper 60s maybe even 70; Tuesday was wet, rainy, cold and a bit of wind. Monday at DC I played the DT TruSoft only on front nine and the ball performed really well. Ball flight, distance were very comparable to my typical gamers and honestly, I think they spin less on toe or mis-hits (a couple tee shots I thought I lost right were still in play) and spin and feel on greens is very good, I believe I shot 40 on front 9. Back nine I was very inconsistent with driver and I mixed in TP5 in odd holes. DT TruSoft performed similarly, but I keep going back to ball sound off club face. To me, there is a distinct difference in sound.

Tuesday, the weather was much colder. I continued to play both TruSoft and TP5, alternating holes. I think the weather impacted both balls equally as I was taking a full extra club over what I used from similar distances on Monday. (Initially, It was a bit difficult figuring distances since I don't typically play at elevation) Using DT on even numbers, #2 I had a downhill 225yd shot into a narrow green sloping to a RT pin location 4i landed 10' from pin and stopped 5' from impact (of course I missed the birdie putt, 1 rotation short :((
I didn't play particularly well on Tuesday, started well with 3 pars, but struggled the rest of the way on a tough course. Lost a few balls, a couple because I drove the ball thru the fairway (thanks Kang, and which is why I'm a sinner, see Banter Thread :)) Ball continued to perform well and visually DT was without major scuffs or blemishes.

I hope to play again this week, if not, for sure I'll get at least 9 holes in on the weekend. Bottom line for me after 3 1/2 rounds using DT TruSoft, I will buy and play this ball, if nothing more than the cost over premium balls!

Matt, since you likely are in colder conditions than I am, did you notice any drop off in distance in the colder temps?

I played in 40-50 degrees with this ball for the majority of my round on Saturday, and my distances were about where I'd expect - in fact I had a few approaches go long when I took weather into account and played an extra club.

I swapped in a urethane ball a few times around the greens, and I do prefer the performance of a urethane covered ball around the green, especially if I'm at all short sided. But this ball does a pretty admirable job grabbing on all but touch shots around the green - I backed one up a little bit on a 9i into a par 3. And I'm not expecting a 2 piece surlyn ball to do much in that department. I still think the Q star with the spin skin (the 2 piece ball I've played with the most) is a little bit better in that regard, but I haven't spent enough time with the DT TruSoft to say for sure.

I played with this ball in low 40's temperatures on Friday and it really performed well. I actually enjoyed it around the greens and was able to stop it pretty well while chipping.

I got a dozen of these at the #ShaftUp Grand Finale, I played them for quite a few holes throughout the weekend and I really enjoyed the color. They're really bright and were pretty easy to track during flight and pick out amongst leaves during the Fall golf conditions.

They also really lived up to the Trusoft name, audibly and off the club face they were soft and I'll probably put them in play quite a bit when it gets cooler out. I didn't feel like they were so soft that it negatively effected distance though, I was more than happy with the distance i was seeing with them.

The only negative is just the typical lack of greenside spin, in their defense, the greens were firm and fast. So I didn't see a ton of balls check up throughout the weekend anyway. I will get these out on my home course soon where the greens are a lot softer and more receptive to greenside spin. That should give me a much better idea of how much difference there actually is.

Overall, solid ball. I don't have any massive complaints and I'll have some more thoughts before long.

I finally got the chance to play these against my usual gamer, the Oncore Avant. Temps were in the low 40's with 15mph wind so it was a bit chilly. Off the tee distance was similar with the Oncore edging it out. I prefer the sound of the Avant off the driver as the TruSoft produced more of a "thunk" sound (although both are loud when hitting with the Wilson Triton). Distance was the same with iron shots although I found that the TruSoft held it's line better with the wind swirling. It also seemed to have more hop and stop with my wedges but once again, the difference wasn't off the charts. The feel off the putter was similar to my driver findings. The TrueSoft, although soft, just seemed "hard" off the putter face especially compared to the Avant. It rolled great though and I was able to gauge the feel/distance pretty quickly.

In the end I enjoyed my round playing the TruSoft and it's good to know that if i'm in need of golf balls on short notice that these will give me the results that I am used to. Thanks Titleist and THP for the opportunity to test them. I will continue to put them in play and update my thoughts as I use them. I'm happy to answer any questions that I can as well.

Still haven’t had the opportunity to test these yet. Our weather has been down right pitiful compared to last November. Today expected to get out to play albeit 24* real Feel right now but left for work and it’s been raining all night.

Since I can’t golf I hope this may be useful to some. I’m a yellow ball aficionado so I wanted to compare the yellow on the DT Trusoft to other yellow balls I’ve tried recently.

From left to right:
Vice Pro Soft, DT Trusoft, Volvik DS55

Srixon Soft Feel, Bridgestone B330RX

f19895d43877f3c1fb3bc6372045696d.jpg

The DT yellow is very similar to the B330 as both have the metallic flake in their paint. The DT appears like it has a little greenish/Gold tint in the yellow compared to the B330.

Also the dimples are more visible on the DT out of all of the balks pictured. Inside the dimple it almost appears darker. Could just be a shadowing effect as well.

d0c0181a353771fefcf193a4a2351835.jpg

7842cbd8fe7a468bd94d15b13d005953.jpg

07cbbfe822b2b308c9c12a5902944930.jpg

Thanks for the opportunity to test and will share more once I can get out and play.

The weather here in OH perked up the past few days. I was able to finally try the Titleist DT TruSoft on the course. Temps were around high 40’s low 50’s when I played and conditions were pretty soggy. Matter of fact after most drives I had to wipe the mud off that was caked to the ball. Fortunately the ball did not plug on me once. So I was able to give the ball a fair shake down.

Bio
A little about my game. According to GameGolf I am a 9.3 cap and I mainly play from the white tees. Courses usually range from 5600-6400 yds. R flex clubs, 7i around 140-145 and Driver 230ish.
I currently play the 2pc surlyn covered Srixon Soft Feel when I am not testing other balls.
So the DT Trusoft is a very similar ball to compare with.

I already talked about the appearance in my previous post. I dig a yellow ball and while these are not my favorite shade of yellow it looked better on the course in the sunlight than in my office when I took the pictures. Out of the box, the DT had a slightly different feel to the touch. Almost like it had a coating or something on it.

Off the tee:
Flight/Trajectory – I prefer a high driver flight as I struggle for launch. These delivered. They flew just as high as the Soft Feel.
Distance: On one hole I stopped and hit a few extra drives with both the DT Trusoft and the Soft Feel. They both were neck and neck in terms of overall distance. One round the DT would finish slightly ahead and the next round the Soft Feel came out longer. But overall they are very similar. Matter of fact on my two best swings they both ended up within a yard of each other.
Accuracy – I didn’t have my best stuff that day but did manage 7/12 (58%) fairways hit. My average with my current driver is 56%. So consistent with what I normally expect. No OB’s which was a plus. Then again this course is fairly wide open. As with most surlyn balls I don’t see a lot of side spin which is a good thing to help mitigate miss hits.

Irons and Wedges

Like I mentioned with the driver, I saw the same high straight flight off the irons and full wedge shots.
The best shot of the day came with a 7i and the ball checked up within 2’ of the mark. No complaints here.

Short Game
I am not a high spin player and given I already game a 2 piece surlyn ball, I expect and play for some rollout. Once again I stopped and hit a few chip and pitch shots and compared to the Soft Feel had about the same amount of check and rollout. I use an Odyssey Tank Chipper for most work around the greens and I felt like the ball was very consistent from shot to shot off the chipper. Distance control was good and I never felt that I had a “jumper’.

Putting
The DT Trusoft felt good off the putter. Not marshmellowy soft like a Duo or Supersoft but a good amount of feedback off the putter. You know when you hit it. I average 34 putts per round and during this round I had 32 putts with no 3 putts. Distance control was very good. The ball seemed to always end up hole high. This is a good thing as my miss in putting is to end up short of the hole.

Overall
I thought the DT Trusoft covered all the bases well for a 2 piece Surlyn covered ball. It’s definitely a very serviceable ball for the price point. For me though the shade of yellow is a determining factor in the ball I game. As previously mentioned I am not a big fan of the “yellow” that Titleist chooses for their DT line. Now if they used the yellow on the NXT Tour S or the new AVX they might make me convert.

Hope this was helpful and thanks again to THP for the opportunity to test out these balls.
I will keep a sleeve back for next season once the temps get back to normal to see if I see any noticeable differences.

Took a few of these out while I was working on some short game work tonight, and brought along a couple of direct competitors. I know they're surlyn so you're not gonna get a lot of spin around the greens with them, but these seem to be seriously lacking in comparison to their competition. I wasn't asking for two hop and stop shots, I was playing for a typical pitch shot around the green that landed halfway between myself and the target, and rolled out. These.. Were not so good at that. As much as 4ft further away than its competition. I was really, really surprised by that. They were landing in the same spots with darn near the same trajectory, and they just were not feelin it.

Anyone else seem to notice this problem? Or better yet, anyone else care to try a similar test and post their feedback?

I was able to play on Thursday afternoon and got a full 18 holes in.... man, the weather in NoCal was great on Thursday! :))
I continue to like this ball.... at the start of my round I told my playing partner what I was doing and he was skeptical of the ball and its performance... I asked why, and his response was the cost of the ball... 'no way is Titleist or any other company going to make a ball that performs even close to their premium balls'. He's a ProV1x snob and will not play any other ball.... this partner of mine is pretty much a scratch golfer (when his back isn't acting up) and we played his home course... his typical round there is usually -3 or -4 and he usually carries the ball 280+ with driver. As our round progressed I convinced him to give the ball a go and I put him to the test... I gave him a couple DT TruSoft to compare with his beloved ProV1x. He played the last three holes playing both balls and from the performance the balls based on the shots he hit I would say they were not that far off.

16 is a par 3 165 yds back into the wind and the wind comes off the SF bay in the afternoons at a nice clip 15-18mph normally. He hit a knock down 7i and stuck both balls on the green, both about 12' from the pin. The TruSoft did release and roll out a bit more than his ProV1x but the shots were so similar in flight, distance carried, the only difference was which side of the flag stick as the DT TS fed back to the hole on the roll. One putt was uphill, the other was side hill. He made both putts.

17 is a dog leg right 380 yd par 4 and my partner can move the ball on command, he hit Driver and his ProV1x ended up about 110-115 yds out in the middle of the fairway. He hit TruSoft to about the same distance but he drew the ball a bit and hit it through the fairway and it ended up in the left rough. He hit the green with PV1x and missed the green short (8-10' front of green) from the rough with the DT TS. He 2-putted the PV1x and chipped on and one putted DT TS.

18 is a par 4 409 yds. He hit driver, wedge with both balls and 1-putted both finishing birdie, par, birdie and when he walked off the green simply said 'I'd buy this ball'

As for me, I played really well (for me) on the front side, shot 39 (and started a new streak of birdies in a round). Back side was another story.... 46.... and I lost 2 tee shots... overall the ball continues to perform well for me, I don't see a major difference in how well the ball travels, spins or stops or rolls related to my normal gamers.... on 17 I hit Driver 9i and actually got the ball to back up from its divot about 6'..... and I made a putt for once :)

Now I need to break down and buy another box of balls.... I only have about 3-4 balls remaining from the THP & Titleist gifted dozen, but I am going to continue to play them and I'm hoping for one of these Indian summer days to happen to see how well the ball performs in temperatures above 65*...

I got out a few more times with these balls. They have exceeded my expectations on all levels, feel/sound, spin/control and distance. They seem to correct side spin off of the driver a lot more than I expected. I had my 76 year old father use them and he seemed to pick up at least 20 yards off the driver. Hard to tell with irons but he had one of his best driving day in a while. He did so well I ordered him 2 doz personalized for Xmas. Also I bought myself another doz for personal use. I’m really impressed with these and will continue to use them, Good Job Titleist.

Finally getting out with my first round with these tomorrow. Will be chilly but exactly the type of ball I use during this time of year. Excited to see how it performs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Going to PGASS tonight to pick up another dozen balls (probably going with the yellow ball) in preparation for my next round, planned for Thursday afternoon. Weather forecast has a high of 67 so looks like another great day to play in NorCal!

Took a few of these out while I was working on some short game work tonight, and brought along a couple of direct competitors. I know they're surlyn so you're not gonna get a lot of spin around the greens with them, but these seem to be seriously lacking in comparison to their competition. I wasn't asking for two hop and stop shots, I was playing for a typical pitch shot around the green that landed halfway between myself and the target, and rolled out. These.. Were not so good at that. As much as 4ft further away than its competition. I was really, really surprised by that. They were landing in the same spots with darn near the same trajectory, and they just were not feelin it.

Anyone else seem to notice this problem? Or better yet, anyone else care to try a similar test and post their feedback?

That shot that's more than a chip, but less than a half swing shot is the area where I really thought these were lacking compared to something like the Q STAR, which is right at the same price point. Granted the greens weren't in the best shape (we got snow the day after I played), but I had a few of these types of shots just keep rolling through the greens when I played the other day.

Old thread...

The coronavirus issues and finding out that key drug ingredients are being manufactured in China has lit a fire under me to try to buy USA where practical, but I don't want high end $4 a piece golf balls. Surlyn is good enough for my game and courses I play. But, I want a golf ball that is at least assembled in the USA.

What options are there in the $20-$25 range? It appears Titleist and Bridgestone are the two brands to choose between.

I bought a box of DT TruSoft and will be giving them a go as my gamer. I've used a variety of golf balls in the past. I've played the most rounds probably with Callaway Supersoft, Bridgestone E6, or Top Flite Gamer.

Dave

Back