Tour Edge Exotics Wingman Wedges Review

Had another chip in with the 52* today and burned an edge on another call me. It's been an absolute weapon for me around the greens

Had another chip in with the 52* today and burned an edge on another call me. It's been an absolute weapon for me around the greens
Nice! They really are damn good. Tour Edge is rolling right now.

It's been a while since I've posted here, just the time of year where I don't get out to play as much. I did get a round in earlier this week, and the Wingman Wedges were definitely the stars of the day.

The 56* M/N continues to really make my bunker game look better than I would usually expect from any club other than my 60*, with me ending up in a ridiculous five green side bunkers on the front-9, but with great results getting out of all of them. The 56* Wingman is really starting to replace my 60* for bunker play. My playing partners even mentioned that maybe I'd be better off just going for the bunkers instead of shooting for the greens.

The 50* S/D is starting to be my go-to chipping club around the greens, which was one big concern for me for a while, as my 50* wedge has always been my preferred weapon around the greens, and it has taken me a while to get my confidence with this one.

I use both for full swings, and they've both been great, especially since I put the Recoil shafts in them. Anything around 100 yards I'll go after it with the 56*, and for 110 - 115 yards I'll go to the 50*. Shorter shots, say 50 - 80 yards, really is a case-by-case decision. With the right lie I'll go after the longer end of that range with a full swing 60*, but otherwise I'm getting pretty confident hitting partial shots with either one of the Wingman Wedges.

These look pretty good! The styling, milling, and even slight offset remind me of the Hi-Toe wedge. The “Wingman” name kinda confuses me with the wedge series, especially since it is already on the putter, but that is a minor gripe.

I’m curious to try these out and see the forgiveness, as that is an aggressive, almost cavity-like cut line out of the back of the wedge, and it looks like they really pushed a lot of weight out toward the toe.

The wedge looks very premium for the $140 price tag, but I think tour edge could rework the badging IMO. It’s actually an improvement from some previous lines, but I think aesthetics could propel this line and tech further. (That may seem blunt, but I’m a TE guy and I wish the looks rivaled Mizuno/ Titleist etc)

Also, I game the 722 irons and vibrcor is legit, it makes way too much sense to throw it in wedges, and I bet these feel fantastic.

I picked up a 56* F/S grind to try vs. the S/D grind I originally went with. Here's a couple pics comparing the 2 (S/D has the custom ferrule):

9A896D64-CA88-4EE1-A482-02F0642858E5.jpeg

AA22C4B4-D9FC-45B0-9BA0-9245380D8CC7.jpeg

Also interestingly the undercut isn't as deep on the F/S grind

7011F40C-CE9F-42BD-981F-8FC3640F4ACF.jpeg

Nice photo, those two soles have greater differences than I would have expected, and I never even thought about the cutout in the back being different between versions.
There is a big difference between the three grinds. Enough to fit anyone’s needs in my opinion.

Have you ever tried a golf club of one of your buddies and hit it so well that you had to have it?

Well that happened to my friend Paul that was visiting this past weekend.

We played golf on Friday and Saturday and I cobbled together a set of clubs for him to play with that included the Tour Edge Wingman 54 degree wedge that I had reviewed and a like new Tour Edge XCG7 Driver.

The Wingman Wedge fit him like a glove. It was remarkable how well he hit that club. Both full swings and around the green.

The Driver was set up with a little more loft and an upright lie angle with a shaft that was an inch or so shorter than standard. It counteracted his slice and gave him a much a higher ball flight with more carry yardage.

He’s going home with both of them. Plus a pair of golf shoes that I lent him that never fit me that well.

Great to have he and his wife here and look forward to seeing them again this summer when we are at our college reunion together.

The Wingman wedges are still working really well for me. I played a round a couple of weeks ago on a pretty wet course, came up short on the first par-5, had about 30 yds to a middle pin, hit the 50* S/D to about six inches. A little later, on the par-3 12th, I missed the green left, nasty lie in pretty deep rough, about 40 - 45 feet from the pin, needed to get it uphill over a little ridge, then downhill with a big left to right break to the hole, and chipped it in with the 56* M/N. THESE WEDGES ARE SO GOOD!!!

Man, totally forgot to come in here and update.

Started the rebuild on these wedges, so far completed the 56* S/D with Rapid Taper 105 S+. Tipped to 8 iron and swing weighted to as close to D4 as I could get with my rough Golfworks measuring machine. Took an 8gm tip weight, probably should've put a 9 but close enough on the rough measure without epoxy.

Simulator session on Saturday and warmed up with it and I was hitting it so easily and with minimal R or L side spin. Consistent yardage and backspin as well. Ended up.in the skills challenge and this became the 120yd club where I was within +/- 5 yards or better.

60* S/D arrives today, this one ordered 2* upright and getting pulled apart immediately and rebuilt to 56* specs with shaft and SW.

50* as well but that will have the standard wedge tipping for the RT.

Barring winning something I expect the Wingmans will be in the bag this year. Switching from S/D to F/S in the 56 has been just what the doctor ordered. 52 S/D is still my favorite club around the greens. Only thing I'm pondering is loft setup. I switched to 44* - 48* - 52* - 56* to try to 1) wean myself off of using a 60* all the time and 2) to have a better (on paper) wedge matrix. I've mostly been on the sim but not sure the tighter gaps are strictly necessary, so I'm pondering removing the 48* and going 44* - 50* - 56* and free up another spot in the bag. If I did that I'd go S/D again in the 50*.

60* came in, reshafted & rebuilt with Xcaliber Rapid Taper 105 tipped as 8i & swingweighted out as close to D4 as I could get.

Few swings yesterday on the sim, solid 100yd club it seems, & ball impact on the face is super consistent.

This one was ordered 2* upright to see if it will help and definitely strike consistency has improved but I'll have to figure out how to adjust my swing to bring it fully to the middle.

First outdoor hitting with these today in their new format with the graphite shafts.

Still off mats here in Colorado but full swings are so easy. Lie angles are definitely needing to be more upright on the 50* & 56* to sort out strike patter in comparison to the 60* plus want to bend the 56* to 55* for better gapping.

Love the feel off the face, solid, good feedback. Looking forward to taking them at full swings into greens to see how they perform tomorrow.

Went to the practice green and was playing with the 60* & 56* for short, fluffy rough lies you get here in Colorado and it's either the fact I haven't played golf for so long or testament to how good these are but 2 out of 3 were inside 3ft everytime. Spin was good, ability to pop the ball and check or flight it low and run it out is super easy.

Again, forgot to come in and update the thread after my round with these.

First outdoor, real world round with the new build of these including the 60* matching S/D grind, all in graphite.

High winds (solid 15-20mph all day) but I'm very happy with these. The grind cannot fix my stupid laziness when trying to hit a rushed stick it close for a birdie chance and go clean under the ball instead of taking my time and making sure I hit it.

I like how these sit behind the ball, they're larger than my previous wedges in shape when looking down (Sub70 TAIII) and that could be visually due to the finish and the higher toe design but they're definitely more confidence inspiring. Spin is great, feel is solid and feedback is really nice. If the weights weren't so bloody expensive per weight I'd really want to play around with that to properly dial these in.

Looking forward to 2024 with these in the bag.

When I first picked the 56 S/D grind, it was for conditions like I have now where everything is a little sloppy. I found the S/D sole wasn't really my cup of tea when I needed to open up the face a little bit, so I switched to the F/S grind. I figured I'd be giving up some of the forgiveness when it was soggy, but I'm actually finding that even though it's low bounce there is a ton of sole you can use when you need to.

I also hit it out of a bunker today for the first time and felt like the sole worked through the sand nicely.

I saw these in person. They are unique at address for sure, but in a good way. I really felt instant comfort with the shape and offset.

I wish my game was as good as these wedges.

Thankfully only one shank, one close to a shank that ended up being a 2ft par save.

These are so good at address, the feel is so good when cleanly hit.

I wish TEE didn't price the weights so high to make the fine tuning affordable.

I really need to see these in hand, love my 723’s and like the exs pro wedges, Does anyone have a comparison of these wedges to th exs pro’s?

I think I'm going to stick with my current wedge setup for the year. The two Wingman wedges, 50* S/D and 56* M/N (bent to 55*), have definitely earned their spots, and although I was considering picking up a 60* Wingman to finish the set, I just can't convince myself to take my current 60* out of play to try something else.

I think I'm going to stick with my current wedge setup for the year. The two Wingman wedges, 50* S/D and 56* M/N (bent to 55*), have definitely earned their spots, and although I was considering picking up a 60* Wingman to finish the set, I just can't convince myself to take my current 60* out of play to try something else.
I am not regretting making the 2 into 3 with adding the 60* Wingman, been practicing around the green chipping with it recently as well as more full swings on the course, can't fault it.

I am not regretting making the 2 into 3 with adding the 60* Wingman, been practicing around the green chipping with it recently as well as more full swings on the course, can't fault it.
I was really planning on adding a Wingman 60*, but I'm still using a 60* Cleveland Tour Rack that I got to test for THP a while back, built to my specs, and I just can't let that one go yet. It might be one that I end up wearing the grooves off of it before I finally replace it.

Back