Trying to Break 100

I have that exact problem with my 58° (supposed to be 60°) lob wedge. Great out of bunkers, but I can do nothing with it elsewhere. So today I replaced it with a 58° Cleveland CBX. Hopefully that'll work as well for me out of the bunkers, and I'll get it to work for me out of the grass, as well.
As I mentioned to Ann8X, bag both of them, and let one be the sand-only wedge.

As I mentioned to Ann8X, bag both of them, and let one be the sand-only wedge.
Oh, I'll definitely be bagging both of them. Since I could do nothing with the LW in grass I simply regarded it as my SW. But, once I get that 58° CBX in hand, my hope is it'll work well out of the bunkers and the grass.

OTOH: I learned a new chipping method, complements of @Snowman, the other day. Start reading here: Economical (Used?) 54° Wedge For Beginners/High-Handicappers? and watch the video. Results with my PW, yesterday, were quite encouraging.

Oh, I'll definitely be bagging both of them. Since I could do nothing with the LW in grass I simply regarded it as my SW. But, once I get that 58° CBX in hand, my hope is it'll work well out of the bunkers and the grass.

OTOH: I learned a new chipping method, complements of @Snowman, the other day. Start reading here: Economical (Used?) 54° Wedge For Beginners/High-Handicappers? and watch the video. Results with my PW, yesterday, were quite encouraging.
I've seen that clip, and it's gold.

Finally made a change in the bag, a couple of club replacements, pretty much like for like...2 x Cleveland Halo hybrids, 1 in the 22° slot above my 5i, and another in the 16° slot as my lower punchy fairway finder Driver alternative. The Halos are getting their first run out on Sunday.
Didn't play great, pretty famine or feast, carding an 88 which included 4 (count 'em) blobs - putting got me the score. Both the Halos performed well, when my appalling thrashing allowed them to. Any reasonable connection and they were bang on.

The only real things I noticed were that
1. the Halo Gliderails seemed to go through the turf even better than the Cobras (which is saying something), and
2. I definitely got a more powerful, slightly (I do mean slightly) higher flight with the 16° than my previous club in that slot. It may even be just a little more spin thats keeping it up there for longer so it peaks higher. Either way, it was impressive, and I'm pretty happy.

Last edited:
I finally was able to play the local course in my town, which is a bit harder than the one I have been playing most of the year. 47/49 for a nice 96. Only one triple bogey and one par, the rest a mix of bogies and double bogies. I hit my new Mavrik irons the best since I got them. No greens in regulation, but I was usually pretty close. My short game was really on point today. I'm figuring out the Cleveland CBX2 wedges and I am LOVING them. I left myself very few long putts today. 31 total putts and ZERO 3 putts.

One troubling thing from the round and something I have noticed for most of the year is the fact that I have lost considerable distance on my drives. It seems like it started when my iron play improved. I have a lesson next weekend and I think we will be focusing on how to get that distance back.

Played Saturday in a family outing, shot about average, had some nice pokes, had some bad ones, got happily snockered around #14 and lost count of the strokes. Had a great time, though. Sunday was pretty much a repeat of Saturday. Some good, some bad, some beers.

Didn't play great, pretty famine or feast, carding an 88 which included 4 (count 'em) blobs - putting got me the score. Both the Halos performed well, when my appalling thrashing allowed them to. Any reasonable connection and they were bang on.

The only real things I noticed were that
1. the Halo Gliderails seemed to go through the turf even better than the Cobras (which is saying something), and
2. I definitely got a more powerful, slightly (I do mean slightly) higher flight with the 16° than my previous club in that slot. It may even be just a little more spin thats keeping it up there for longer so it peaks higher. Either way, it was impressive, and I'm pretty happy.
I recall you hitting some towering shots in Tennessee as well.

What's happening fellas? Haven't posted here in awhile but always keeping an eye on you gents. Still grinding away I see, keep an eye on @Hamfist he will foot wedge you to death. ;)

What's happening fellas? Haven't posted here in awhile but always keeping an eye on you gents. Still grinding away I see, keep an eye on @Hamfist he will foot wedge you to death. ;)
Foot wedge hand wedge, drop where I feel like, write whatever score I want. These are just a few of the items in my Toolbox of Cheating(tm)

I was just looking at some stats in The Grint and saw that a year ago at this time my handicap was at 29.4 and was 29.6 in early June this year. I think it was around that time that the stuff I had learned in my lessons started paying dividends on the course.

My handicap was revised to 26.1 after yesterdays round. I feel I've made a lot of progress in my game this year. My goal for next year is to continue this trend and get my cap into the low 20's (or better) by the end of next year.

I was just looking at some stats in The Grint and saw that a year ago at this time my handicap was at 29.4 and was 29.6 in early June this year. I think it was around that time that the stuff I had learned in my lessons started paying dividends on the course.

My handicap was revised to 26.1 after yesterdays round. I feel I've made a lot of progress in my game this year. My goal for next year is to continue this trend and get my cap into the low 20's (or better) by the end of next year.
And my goal is to cheer you on with alcohol!!

(Taps chin thoughtfully.) That's a good start. As for these grips, how old are they? Also, could the club be reacting to a lack of attention at the range? Sometimes the feelings can manifest that way.

I do give it attention. I stroke it gently and say sweet nothings before I use it. Of course, there are a couple courses I'm not allowed in anymore. Maybe I should talk softer.

Glad to hear it helped you! (y) It's really so simple, but so effective.

My home course is just about done with the aerating greens. Should be good next week. So we played St Andrews. Well, on the new monitors at the range. The program is exactly like the WGT golf game on my phone. So I was familiar with it like I was Pebble Beach a couple weeks ago. I shot plus 19 over 18 holes from the white tees. The ball rolls much further on that one. I was getting at least ten more yards on the drives than I was with the Pebble Beach game. And the greens are huge. The launch monitor had most my drives a little low which would explain the longer roll outs.

The pot bunkers are interesting. If you're in a fairway bunker you can't hit a long iron because it won't get enough lift to clear the wall. A wedge is the only club to hit out of it. I wonder if any of the pros have the same problem when they play there?

46/52 98 (26 hdcp). It was pretty relaxing round even though I got a little frustrated on the back 9. The par 5's kicked my butt with two doubles, a triple and a +5.

I birdied a par 4 with a chip in from just off the green. Overall, I made some nice shots to go along with some ugly ones with every club. Pretty standard golf. The fall colors were beautiful and I was the only one on the course the second time through.

I do give it attention. I stroke it gently and say sweet nothings before I use it. Of course, there are a couple courses I'm not allowed in anymore. Maybe I should talk softer.
Yes, the "inside voice" is best.

Played St Andrews again today on the monitors at the range. There were 4 of us. I wanted to play A Hawaii course but the others wanted St Andrews. Turned out to be a good thing. One thing about St Andrews, the fairways are much wider for guys who don't hit as long. A couple guys missed some fairways because they hit too far and the ball ran through the narrowed part of the fairway and into the rough. It was perfect for me. On my home course I doubt I woulda hit more than 8 or 9 fairways. Today I hit 11.

Oh, I shot an 84. Its not the same as playing on the course for real. I'm sure I wouldn't shoot 84 on the course. But I was hitting some really good shots today. Since there is no putting we chip from 50 or 75 yards depending on if you hit the green in regulation and how close to the pin. Most times a birdie is two feet from the pin from 50 yards out. Pars are typically 8 to 12 feet from the pin. I was in a groove with the 58 degree wedge and hit a lot of pars and a few bogeys. No birdies though.

The greens are good to go on the local course so we'll be back out there next week. Its just fun to play all these famous courses. I think the launch monitor is off on distance though. Feels like I hit about ten yards shorter than I normally do on the course. I know a clean 7 iron is 150 for me. I didn't hit one over 140 today. But all it all, its a lot of fun. We'll be playing both the course and the range monitors this winter.

Another decent day that was still a disappointment. I was my usual erratic self though I hit a lot of good shots. I also made way too many mistakes.

This was a new course for me and it was 95° out so I wore down on the back 9. Still shot a 102. Not terrible - for me - but I could really have broken through today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another decent day that was still a disappointment. I was my usual erratic self though I hit a lot of good shots. I also made way too many mistakes.

This was a new course for me and it was 95° out so I wore down on the back 9. Still shot a 102. Not terrible - for me - but I could really have broken through today.

This is where my game is at. I hit a lot of good shots in a round. But I make too many mistakes to get the score closer to 90. Most the mistakes are execution. Just hit a bad shot. But I also have my share of wrong decisions too.

This is where my game is at. I hit a lot of good shots in a round. But I make too many mistakes to get the score closer to 90. Most the mistakes are execution. Just hit a bad shot. But I also have my share of wrong decisions too.

Exactly!

Hamfist out drove me by 200 on the first without hitting it 200. Wrap your head around that one.

Hamfist out drove me by 200 on the first without hitting it 200. Wrap your head around that one.

I’ve been in that situation enough that it doesn’t even require much imagination.

I really wanted to play today. The temperature was in the low 70's but was windy as heck. 25 mph gusting to 35. So I passed. I have my last hour lesson out of a block of four tomorrow evening. I think I'll have him work on my lost driver distance.

Back