Trying to Break 100

Hamfist out drove me by 200 on the first without hitting it 200. Wrap your head around that one.

When I was younger I could hit 300 yards on a 400 yard hole and still be 400 yards away.

Watched somebody hit a drive from the white tees, a couple games ago, and end up behind the blue tees :ROFLMAO:

Well after about a 2 month absence, I'm finally back on the course. August and September were just too hot this summer (heat index over 100) and after seeing my doctor for a minor issue he advised no playing unless the heat index was under 90. I finally got to play Saturday and played like crap. Chipping and putting were okay, but driving and fairways were embarrassing. At least I know what to work on during my next range session.

At least you were able to get back out there :)

I played a really good round on my “home” executive course today. Walked with the push cart and didn’t get worn down. It felt good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well after about a 2 month absence, I'm finally back on the course. August and September were just too hot this summer (heat index over 100) and after seeing my doctor for a minor issue he advised no playing unless the heat index was under 90. I finally got to play Saturday and played like crap. Chipping and putting were okay, but driving and fairways were embarrassing. At least I know what to work on during my next range session.
Well, hey, stranger! Welcome back! I still stink.

Hamfist out drove me by 200 on the first without hitting it 200. Wrap your head around that one.
My slow golf clap after that shot was awarded a single-finger salute from Ben.

Saturday's round was a sweet 111, playing a decent course with ntanygd760. Had a great time, as always, hit a couple nice pokes, a few real stinkers, and mostly "meh" shots. Got to try Ben's 58 degree wedge for a couple shots, and it felt really good. It's substantially heavier than my Ping G20 that is currently in the bag. Might have to go wedge hunting this year. the only issue is I'm trying to teach myself to use the 50 degree wedge for more of a low and roll chipping style, since a lot of people say it's more effective than my normal high pop and hope shot.

And like, clockwork, I get a notice from Rock Bottom Golf about the big wedge sale. LOL.

I've yet to acquire a 50°, but it's on The List. Right now I've PW (45°), 54°, and 58°. I can get any one of them to pop high if I do my part, and I'm a bit more confident of that than my bump and run. IIRC, on my last outing, I blew my chips only twice, both on 18, and I blew them badly--first skulling it all the way into the rough on the other side of the green, than skulling it back to right about where it had been :ROFLMAO: (In my defense: The 2nd chip was off a tight lie, so close to being hard dirt as makes no never mind, and I haven't had much opportunity to practice chipping off tight lies.)

I feel like I'm stuck in the mud. While I'm happy that I've been able to break 100 every time out now, I just can't get over that hump and get to the low 90's. Shot another 96 this morning. Played with some different people. I could have hit from the senior tees. The two guys I was paired with did. And they're both a couple years younger than me. I think maybe I embarrassed them hitting from the white tees. One of them asked my why I don't hit from the gold tees. I just told him it wouldn't help because my problems generally are not from the tee box.

But I did feel that maybe I'm not so bad in comparison. The 58 year old shot a 106. The 61 year old shot a 103. I'm thinking of joining a senior league. My grandson said he's seen the seniors in that league and I'm probably better than half of them. I definitely hit longer. Most my drives from the whites were past the guys hitting from the gold. I'd say they were a solid 180 with the driver. I was closer to 230.

As far as my game, again it wasn't one thing I can pinpoint. Hit a couple bad chips. A couple 3 putts. Missed greens from the fairway. A couple penalty strokes. One in the water. One in someone's yard. Add it up and I was 24 over par. I definitely hit some really good ones. Just too many not so good ones.

the only issue is I'm trying to teach myself to use the 50 degree wedge for more of a low and roll chipping style, since a lot of people say it's more effective than my normal high pop and hope shot.

Whenever possible I try to use the bump and run, as I am not as confident about flop shots. But I notice a lot of guys who ONLY hit a flop, no matter what the situation is.

Whenever possible I try to use the bump and run, as I am not as confident about flop shots. But I notice a lot of guys who ONLY hit a flop, no matter what the situation is.

That's me. Not a "flop" shot necessarily, but a "pop" shot, if you will. Sometimes it's short, sometimes it's long, sometimes it's good. I'm trying to eliminate the first two.

That's me. Not a "flop" shot necessarily, but a "pop" shot, if you will. Sometimes it's short, sometimes it's long, sometimes it's good. I'm trying to eliminate the first two.

One thing I've been trying to do is maintain the same chipping stroke. Longer chips use less lofted club. Shorter chips use more lofted club. Let the club loft do the work. Its hard to say if I'm that much better with it. I hit some good ones at times. But the total shanks happen too.

I feel like I've reduced the shanks overall but they're still there at times. Probably the most frustrating one is when I skull it low across the green. I can hit 3 nice ones in a row, then that skull shank. I used to have a worse problem with that and it gets in my head when it happens. If it happens twice in a row I start thinking I can't correct it. Or if I do its a chunk that only goes halfway to the green. Every bad shank is due to missing my aim point. I can keep my head down and never watch the ball after contact and still shank it. So I'm pretty sure its not a case of lifting my head too soon.

Got a chance to play nine today - temps inthe high 70’s; truly fantastic day considering rain is coming in and temps will be in low 50’s for the weekend.

Shot 46 but felt very encouraged because I was finally hitting my irons and hybrids well. I could feel the difference on well struck shots - the ball just took off and the sound of contact was different. I think this is what some people were referring to as “covering the ball” - nice forward shaft lean, shallow divot, and 20+ yards farther than my typical weak-ass strikes.

Just have to clean up a few mistakes and I feel like low 40’s should be the norm soon.

Shot 95 today and 38 points. My golf really has felt like it’s been improving all year even though the scores haven’t always reflected it. This is now my 4th week in a row I gave shot under 100. 04B35F56-E82D-4EF2-8D22-2BEB335BAF4C.png

I love my bag set up now although I’ve got work to do with my driver. The Mavrik Max driver is on the money when my swings right. Apex 19 irons are super forgiving and so sweet to hit. However my Toulon Chicago is just amazing 😍

Shot 95 today and 38 points. My golf really has felt like it’s been improving all year even though the scores haven’t always reflected it. This is now my 4th week in a row I gave shot under 100. View attachment 8970819

I love my bag set up now although I’ve got work to do with my driver. The Mavrik Max driver is on the money when my swings right. Apex 19 irons are super forgiving and so sweet to hit. However my Toulon Chicago is just amazing 😍
Nice ! Good to know the clubs are working for you - keep up those lower trending scores.

I shot 69 on a par 59 course today. My best on that course. Mainly due to my chipping and putting. I hit a lot of putts that I would normally blow. I think the grass on this course had a lot to do with it. My regular courses have tighter cut fairways, patchy greens and nastier rough.

Today (I guess now technically yesterday) I got to try out my new Mack Daddy CB 56* at the range. Man...why didn’t I get something like this sooner? Chips, pitches, and even full swings were so easy with this sucker. Of course, once I put it in play in a round things could change drastically.

Okay, with 2 9 hole rounds finished I think I have finally shaken off the rust. 56 for the first round and 52 for the second. Fairway shots are still a mess and I need to tighten up my putting but this bodes well for fall golf if we don't get too much rain.

Well Colorado decided we needed snow already (6” just today) so this whole breaking 100 might have to wait until next year.

Shot another 46 yesterday in rainy 45 degree weather. Took 3 holes to stop hitting snap-hooks off the tee; after that I played pretty decent. 15 putts, including a 50 foot bomb & a few 10-12 foot one-putts.

I'm gonna be sad to see the season end.

Shot another 46 yesterday in rainy 45 degree weather. Took 3 holes to stop hitting snap-hooks off the tee; after that I played pretty decent. 15 putts, including a 50 foot bomb & a few 10-12 foot one-putts.

I'm gonna be sad to see the season end.
Wow.....can't believe you played in 45 degree weather......

Wow.....can't believe you played in 45 degree weather......

We pay for the entire league season up front, and after the league is over, we're allowed to keep golfing for free. Since the beginning of the season was lost to Covid, I plan on golfing as long as it's not pouring or snowing.

I had to swap to snow tires today. Since I knew it would be a 2 hour wait, I dropped the clubs off at a nearby course, dropped the car off at the tire shop and then walked to the course to play 9. I got through the course in 1 hour, 15 minutes so I decided to play another 9. The temps stayed below 40 all day but it wasn't bad because I was walking.

Anyway, shot a 43 the first time through and a 53 on the second 9. The course is only 5600 yards and has a very low rating/slope, but I still managed a high score the second time through with some pretty bad golf. Still, it beat the hell out of hanging out in the lobby of a tire shop for two hours. I haven't been playing a lot of golf lately so it was nice to get out there.

Back