Trying to Break 100

Played 9 Sunday. Same result as Saturday - I feel like I was hitting the ball pretty well but still didn't score well. Still giving away too many putts and struggling on the 2 par 4 holes. Holes 3, 5 and 6 are keys to a decent score on this course.

My buddy and I played 18 on a par 62 local course today. Aside from making my usual bonehead mistakes I felt like I hit the ball pretty well though still giving away too many shots. But I thought I did okay. Until I added up my score - 85! I thought at worst it would maybe be 82.

Bummed about the score but I felt pretty good out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf is much more enjoyable since I stopped focusing so much on the score. I still keep score but I don't let a bad start bother me. There was a time if I had a triple on the first hole my comment would be "Well, there goes this round". Now its more like "Ok, I have plenty of holes left to make up for it".

Even when the score doesn't end up as well as I would like I still feel good about as long as I'm hitting the ball ok. There's a lot more reasons for a higher score than just hitting poorly. I'm finding that out. I've been happy with ball striking the last 6 months but the score doesn't always reflect it.

How's everyone's game this spring...? I took some time off last year towards the fall or maybe even end of summer. Just wasn't hitting great, and decided I needed to finally put in work rehabbing my bum shoulder.

Been out to hit a couple times recently (including today). I have completely lost my swing. I can't even hit the short wedges. I can't chip. I CAN putt. But I can't hit anything. I actually walked away from about a a fourth a bucket of balls today (to go chip/putt) because I just wasn't finding anything at all. Last time I hit was the same. Couldn't hit crap. I am at a point where my mindset right now is - do I have the drive or desire to fight through this? I really don't know if I do. Super lost. Super frustrated. The guy I took lessons from a few years back when I started playing again...he's not doing lessons right now due to COVID. So he's a no-go to size me up and fix something...and he and I worked really well together.

Maybe the fix is easy...but I've never had much problem like this before (aside from when I first started back up playing...and I went to the guy I just mentioned to straighten me out).

I've always been able to fix myself though, since that timeframe. I just...I dunno...I can't figure out what's up. I can't get comfortable. I dunno. Part of me was thinking a bit ago, okay, I'll figure out...just gotta put in that work. The more I have sat here, though, the more I'm like....do I really want to put in that work again? I just don't know.

Okay - venting over.....thanks for being my therapists. :)

EDIT: @Dartgod - you're in my neck of the woods.....any advice on lessons/instructors in the area? There is a Golftec that opened just a couple minutes from me....considering trying that route.

Last edited:
I've always been able to fix myself though, since that timeframe. I just...I dunno...I can't figure out what's up. I can't get comfortable. I dunno. Part of me was thinking a bit ago, okay, I'll figure out...just gotta put in that work. The more I have sat here, though, the more I'm like....do I really want to put in that work again? I just don't know.
This game is tough for everyone but especially tough for those of us who just can't seem to get it. I sometimes think if I had 100 years to work on my game I'd always be about where I am now. I can't give advice on getting better or in how to deal with the bad golf because I fail at both.

I have REALLY enjoyed the "work" I've put into my game this winter. But I can tell by those practices there won't be any significant, overall change. I can either love the game as it is or find another activity. Since it's been almost impossible to live without it, I'm trying hard to embrace my version of golf.

One thing I think is true at every level, almost everyone goes through what you are experiencing. Good luck @bobellis75.

Yeah it’s not that I’m worried about how I score but if I can’t even hit the damn ball it’s not exactly fun. I have just never quite been at this much of a loss.

It’ll work out. I enjoy playing too much to give up.

Like you I enjoy the work too. Even when it hasn’t majorly impacted my scoring - it’s fun to make SOME progress. Last year at one point I’d made a lot of it. Which is why I’m so much more frustrated now.

But I’ll get it back. One thing at a time....

Happy to get out in March and happy with the opening 9 (48), but very disappointed with the back 9 (60). Handicap differential of 29.9.

Edit: checked my scorecard and I had 57 on the back for a 105 and 27 differential.

Contrary to popular opinion, hitting short of the green by failing to pull enough club was not an issue today. Miss-hitting chips from pin-high and getting out of the sand was.

I had high hopes for my short game as the last two weeks of practicing that skill seemed solid. Unfortunately, it was never there for the entire round. The full swing wasn't bad - better than I expected. I hit a few GIR but 3-putted two of them. I had a couple unplayable lies from either the tee or approach, but overall contact was fine. Played the left to right ball flight with the driver from off the tee and that was actually the most solid part of the round. Only a couple drives went so far off line that I had to either punch out or take an unplayable. Made good contact with the irons but many were bit too far off line. Hybrids were solid with one top, a few off line and a couple very nice shots. The 4H was a solid off-season acquisition.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the bag to start off the year. I just have to dial in those wedges and continue to maintain a decent level of balls striking. I really pushed the 60° and may have used it when I should not have. With my putting being so consistently poor year after year, it's absolutely necessary for me to chip it close just to bogey a hole. As long as it's taking two chips just to get on, I'd better get used to double-bogey golf. Today was proof that every facet of the game has to be on just to score in the 90's. Pathetic but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Golf is much more enjoyable since I stopped focusing so much on the score. I still keep score but I don't let a bad start bother me. There was a time if I had a triple on the first hole my comment would be "Well, there goes this round". Now its more like "Ok, I have plenty of holes left to make up for it".

Even when the score doesn't end up as well as I would like I still feel good about as long as I'm hitting the ball ok. There's a lot more reasons for a higher score than just hitting poorly. I'm finding that out. I've been happy with ball striking the last 6 months but the score doesn't always reflect it.
Well and if the goal is just to break 100 a triple isn’t even awful. You just have to make sure there are not too many in a round.

Played Windmill Lakes in Ravenna today - definitely a harder course than my regular track. But what's strange is according to the slope rating, Windmill is easier: 118 for Windmill, 119 for Fox Den. I'm calling BS on this. Windmill Lakes is longer (6140 vs 6029, but: only 2 par 5's, so the par 4's average 384 yards vs 360 at Fox Den. Greens are bigger, with bigger slopes & more undulations. More sand, more water too. I don't get how these 2 courses can have almost identical slope ratings yet the "easier" one is much harder to score on.

And I shot 47/54 for a 101. Some good things to build on. Chipped in from 30 yards on #1. Pitched to 2 feet from 50 yards on #18.

Putter was not great on these large greens. Too many 3 putts - I had trouble lagging from 30-60 feet. Not a single par:mad:

Played 18 today on a course that I haven’t been on since before Covid. Shot an even 100. And that includes a 9 on the front and an 8 and 10 on the back.

If not for those blowup holes it would have been my best round in along time. . Driver was actually great today.

5f09f69f24406a6ba86e36e6d581ee67.jpg

Played 18 today on a course that I haven’t been on since before Covid. Shot an even 100. And that includes a 9 on the front and an 8 and 10 on the back.

If not for those blowup holes it would have been my best round in along time. . Driver was actually great today.

Nice job!

Played Windmill Lakes in Ravenna today - definitely a harder course than my regular track. But what's strange is according to the slope rating, Windmill is easier: 118 for Windmill, 119 for Fox Den. I'm calling BS on this. Windmill Lakes is longer (6140 vs 6029, but: only 2 par 5's, so the par 4's average 384 yards vs 360 at Fox Den. Greens are bigger, with bigger slopes & more undulations. More sand, more water too. I don't get how these 2 courses can have almost identical slope ratings yet the "easier" one is much harder to score on.

And I shot 47/54 for a 101. Some good things to build on. Chipped in from 30 yards on #1. Pitched to 2 feet from 50 yards on #18.

Putter was not great on these large greens. Too many 3 putts - I had trouble lagging from 30-60 feet. Not a single par:mad:
Nicely done!

That driver was on fire!

The only way I’m hitting 85% of fairways is with a 9i . Great job

Also - ONE WEEK TIL COURSES OPEN IN UK!!

I played with my son again on Sunday. We didn't keep score. We did a match play format. Regardless, we both had some "Blow-Up" holes. I started out with a triple, which gave him the hole. It was a dog-leg left, and I put the ball along the left side, which gave me no shot to the green. Then my 20 yard chip shot went too far.....you guys have been there. No need to explain further!

Ball striking was fair. But ended up under trees a few times, which made succeeding shots more of a "get out of trouble" type of deal.

We ended up tied going into the last hole. He had a twelve foot putt for bogey. I had a five footer for par. He ended up holing out on that putt. I had a "back spasm" and punched it way past the hole, giving him the win. (That's the story I'm sticking with because he thought it was obvious I did it on purpose!)

Another thing....my distance was down some. I have been neglected my stretch routines, and it showed.

The only way I’m hitting 85% of fairways is with a 9i . Great job

Also - ONE WEEK TIL COURSES OPEN IN UK!!

I seriously doubt I could even do it with a 9 iron.

I seriously doubt I could even do it with a 9 iron.
This is why I grabbed a 4i to match my set. Driver and 3w are jokes right now and it’s either short of the fairway or so far left/right I’m in the next fairway. The hybrid is a little better but not in terms of hitting 85% of fairways. The 4i will get over 200 yards and is straight as an arrow (if I aim straight).

Still don’t know if it’s 85% of fairways good, but it’s good enough for now.

This is why I grabbed a 4i to match my set. Driver and 3w are jokes right now and it’s either short of the fairway or so far left/right I’m in the next fairway. The hybrid is a little better but not in terms of hitting 85% of fairways. The 4i will get over 200 yards and is straight as an arrow (if I aim straight).

I picked up a 4h in January for the same reason. Some skinny fairways where I play and some i have literally never hit after 5 or 6 rounds with the driver. My longest alternate was a 5i but I hesitated to take it because it’s not long enough to get near in two

I picked up a 4h in January for the same reason. Some skinny fairways where I play and some i have literally never hit after 5 or 6 rounds with the driver. My longest alternate was a 5i but I hesitated to take it because it’s not long enough to get near in two

I'm loving my Mavrik Max 7W for these situations - I just seem to be able to hit it straight & long, despite less than stellar form.

I'm loving my Mavrik Max 7W for these situations - I just seem to be able to hit it straight & long, despite less than stellar form.

I’ve heard good things about these “heaven woods” though have never tried one. I’ll see how the hybrid goes for the first few weeks back and assess whether it’s worth looking at one.

I don't know why - but I've usually struggled with hybrids. The 7W & Heavenwoods just do better for me.

I just watched this Danny Maude video & thought it might be helpful to others here. lots of good non-technical, non-"swing thought" info.

I'm contemplating re-bagging my ancient Ping G15 7-wood. I'm not hitting the "4 wood" very well, lots of rollers. (Which, in their defense, do roll a good way.) I'm keeping my antennae up for a 5 wood, I think that will be my next "never buying another club" purchase.

Saturday's round report: 2 good drives, several good chips, one blistered 7-iron that went 140 on the fly and held the green.

I'm contemplating re-bagging my ancient Ping G15 7-wood. I'm not hitting the "4 wood" very well, lots of rollers. (Which, in their defense, do roll a good way.) I'm keeping my antennae up for a 5 wood, I think that will be my next "never buying another club" purchase.

Saturday's round report: 2 good drives, several good chips, one blistered 7-iron that went 140 on the fly and held the green.
Can you add loft to the 4-wood or grip down to get a more consistent center strike?

Back