Trying to Break 100

Even though it was a 49, were you hitting it well, just not scoring? I find I do that a lot.
Lets see. It started with a wicked slice, a second shot way left into the sand trap, and a three putt for a triple bogie. It got better from there, as I pared the third hole (par 3). It was a struggle for most of the first 9, but uncharacteristically, I improved on the back 9. Hit my drives solid and my second shots were spot on. Chips good, and putting also improved. I would have broken 90 if not for the first hole. OH well, not too bummed, as I ended up much better than I would have thought.

I find when I hit it well and don't score well, short game is usually to blame. I hit a GIR, but 3-putt. Or I hit two good shots to get up around the green, but take 4 to get down. That's what I think is keeping me from breaking my next scoring barrier: not getting up and down enough.
I feel you. Nothing quite as pleasing as the 10-footer that drops for your double bogey. Well, maybe one thing, I chipped in for a double and told my buddies "Ahhh, nothing like a no-putt double."

Lets see. It started with a wicked slice, a second shot way left, and a three put for a triple bogie. It got better from there, as I pared the third hole (par 3). It was a struggle for most of the first 9, but uncharacteristically, I improved on the back 9. Hit my drives solid and my second shots were spot on. Chips good, and putting also improved. I would have broken 90 if not for the first hole. OH well, not too bummed, as I ended up much better than I would have thought.
Hey, 17 good holes out of 18 ain't too bad, ya know?

Lets see. It started with a wicked slice, a second shot way left into the sand trap, and a three putt for a triple bogie. It got better from there, as I pared the third hole (par 3). It was a struggle for most of the first 9, but uncharacteristically, I improved on the back 9. Hit my drives solid and my second shots were spot on. Chips good, and putting also improved. I would have broken 90 if not for the first hole. OH well, not too bummed, as I ended up much better than I would have thought.
Hey, 17 good holes out of 18 ain't too bad, ya know?
Haha, sounds just like the conversation we were having Hammy - forget about the bad holes and instead focus on how well you played the others 👍

Haha, sounds just like the conversation we were having Hammy - forget about the bad holes and instead focus on how well you played the others 👍
I tripled the first, doubled the second, and thought to myself, I wonder if I can turn this thing around. I get really focused after a bad hole, and it seemed to work.

I played the other day and shot a 102, with a 10 on one hole. I could come up with all kinds of excuses you know, the sun was in my eyes, someone sneezed just as I was swinging, there was a bug on my ball and it moved just as I was putting. We all know that's a lot of BS. I can make the shots, but I'm just so dang inconsistent. I truly believe that it's all in my head because when I really concentrate, take my time and of course not get mad at myself, I can usually pull of a pretty good shot.What was it Yogi Berra said about Baseball, It's 50% ability and 90% mental. Pretty much the same with Golf.

I played the other day and shot a 102, with a 10 on one hole. I could come up with all kinds of excuses you know, the sun was in my eyes, someone sneezed just as I was swinging, there was a bug on my ball and it moved just as I was putting. We all know that's a lot of BS. I can make the shots, but I'm just so dang inconsistent. I truly believe that it's all in my head because when I really concentrate, take my time and of course not get mad at myself, I can usually pull of a pretty good shot.What was it Yogi Berra said about Baseball, It's 50% ability and 90% mental. Pretty much the same with Golf.
Here's my advice: Do this more. That'll be $50.

Ok deme your bank info and I'll be sure to deposit it.😎😎😎
Sweet.

Now, I'll throw this in for free: Give yourself 30 seconds to hit the ball from when you arrive at it. Over the course of a round, using 100 as an average score, you are looking at 3000 minutes for shots. Divide by 60 and you are looking at 50 minutes of time. This is in no way slow play. The nice thing is, you can do a lot in that 30 second window, and it only requires you to FOCUS for 30 seconds. I like to use the term focus, because we really only need to give the shot our full attention for about 15-20 seconds, give or take.

Now, as you get more used to the focus time, it may very well drop to 10-15 per shot. That, you will have to experiment with.

Sweet.

Now, I'll throw this in for free: Give yourself 30 seconds to hit the ball from when you arrive at it. Over the course of a round, using 100 as an average score, you are looking at 3000 minutes for shots. Divide by 60 and you are looking at 50 minutes of time. This is in no way slow play. The nice thing is, you can do a lot in that 30 second window, and it only requires you to FOCUS for 30 seconds. I like to use the term focus, because we really only need to give the shot our full attention for about 15-20 seconds, give or take.

Now, as you get more used to the focus time, it may very well drop to 10-15 per shot. That, you will have to experiment with.
Now thats good advice thanks.

I did it. Under 100 today. Shot a 93 on my 8th golf game. I’m 66 and just started playing golf.
Plenty of people go years without breaking 100, and you nearly broke 90, good job.

I did it. Under 100 today. Shot a 93 on my 8th golf game. I’m 66 and just started playing golf.
Congratulations on a great score.
New goal is to break 90 now. You can do this.

But what did you get on the back 9?:ROFLMAO:

Doc, I'm feeling pretty good about the game right now. The unnatural success I was having with the driver was certainly the biggest influence on the low scores of the last few rounds. I need to get that back, as it sets me up so well for the next shot. I had a couple of good drives on Sunday, one set me up for a birdie, the other would have set me up for a nice shot to the green, had it not settled just enough behind a bush to snooker me. (2 feet to the right was wide open.)

Saturday's round is going to be at a tough course, so we'll see how the game holds up under that pressure.

After playing with Hammie, I can attest that it's more than just better drives (although that really helped). Your overall swing mechanics are much improved from several years ago. Short game looks more solid too(y)

Congrats! That's a helluva lot faster than I did it lol! I don't think I did that in my first 8 years!

I took lessons, watch a lot of YouTube instruction and go to the range four or five times a week. The municipal golf course is a couple of blocks away. I don’t always hit range balls. A lot of my practice is pitching and putting. The two weeks before this game I concentrated on long range putting and getting the first putt close enough to sink it on the second putt.

Before I started today I decided not to hit ANY risky drives. And on several holes I used my 5i off the tee box. They all landed safely in the fairway and away from water.

So today I didn’t make any stupid mistakes. That made a big difference. The last game I played before this one I shot 107. And on that one I had a lot of three putts and driver shots that went into the trees or water. So practicing putting and not using the driver all the time made a huge difference.

The irons I use are Titleist 714 9, 8 and 7. Wilson Geareffect CB 5. Three Titleist Vokey wedges 48, 52 & 60. Titleist TS1 driver. Titleist TS2 5 wood and 7 wood. And a SC Newport 2 putter. 11 clubs total.

I am taking the Wilson CB 5i out and adding a Titleist T300 6 and 5 irons. So I will be playin with 12 clubs after these two are delivered.

After playing with Hammie, I can attest that it's more than just better drives (although that really helped). Your overall swing mechanics are much improved from several years ago. Short game looks more solid too(y)
Why, thank you!! I'm blushing.

I took lessons, watch a lot of YouTube instruction and go to the range four or five times a week. The municipal golf course is a couple of blocks away. I don’t always hit range balls. A lot of my practice is pitching and putting. The two weeks before this game I concentrated on long range putting and getting the first putt close enough to sink it on the second putt.

Before I started today I decided not to hit ANY risky drives. And on several holes I used my 5i off the tee box. They all landed safely in the fairway and away from water.

So today I didn’t make any stupid mistakes. That made a big difference. The last game I played before this one I shot 107. And on that one I had a lot of three putts and driver shots that went into the trees or water. So practicing putting and not using the driver all the time made a huge difference.
Can't argue with your approach and preparation. A solid plan, well executed.

The irons I use are Titleist 714 9, 8 and 7. Wilson Geareffect CB 5. Three Titleist Vokey wedges 48, 52 & 60. Titleist TS1 driver. Titleist TS2 5 wood and 7 wood. And a SC Newport 2 putter. 11 clubs total.

I am taking the Wilson CB 5i out and adding a Titleist T300 6 and 5 irons. So I will be playin with 12 clubs after these two are delivered.
Can't argue with your approach and preparation. A solid plan, well executed.
What he said.🤛

What is it John Lennon said? "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans." My plan was to get into great shape and really work on improving my game this year. After I lost 15 lb my back started hurting & I finally went to a chiropractor. Good news - joints are fine - my spine is that of a much younger person. Bad news - it's curved because my muscles are so tight on one side compared to the other. So my golf game has suffered a bit of a setback.

Still, there are signs of improvement & hopefully things to build on.

Monday league shot a 48. 3 pars...along with 1 bogey, 3 doubles, and a triple (6 on a par 3). Two legitimate birdie putts (missed them both though). No penalties, but some real stinky shots. And one sand save for a par on 18.

Just trying to be patient and get the back stretched out while I get my swing more consistent.

What is it John Lennon said? "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans." My plan was to get into great shape and really work on improving my game this year. After I lost 15 lb my back started hurting & I finally went to a chiropractor. Good news - joints are fine - my spine is that of a much younger person. Bad news - it's curved because my muscles are so tight on one side compared to the other. So my golf game has suffered a bit of a setback.

Still, there are signs of improvement & hopefully things to build on.

Monday league shot a 48. 3 pars...along with 1 bogey, 3 doubles, and a triple (6 on a par 3). Two legitimate birdie putts (missed them both though). No penalties, but some real stinky shots. And one sand save for a par on 18.

Just trying to be patient and get the back stretched out while I get my swing more consistent.
Your swing looked pretty smoove and consistent when we played. Looking into yoga? Everyone swears by it.

Your swing looked pretty smoove and consistent when we played. Looking into yoga? Everyone swears by it.
I'll probably have to work up to actual yoga poses, but yeah, eventually

Back