Trying to Break 80 Club

Little step backwards on Monday, with an ugly 89. If you'd seen my warmup bucket on the range beforehand, you would've thought I hadn't swung a club in 10 years. Hosel after hosel, repeatedly sending shots low and right. It got a little better on the course, but very few good strikes.

Shot a speed round of 79 on a par 71 playing at 6740 yards. Not a lot of trouble on the course, but a good score nonetheless. Played 18 in 2:02 while teeing off at 7:30 this evening.

Little step backwards on Monday, with an ugly 89. If you'd seen my warmup bucket on the range beforehand, you would've thought I hadn't swung a club in 10 years. Hosel after hosel, repeatedly sending shots low and right. It got a little better on the course, but very few good strikes.

That happened to me last year... at Pebble Beach! My range session was sh*nk after sh*nk after sh*nk. Absolutely terrible timing. I took it out to the course too. Ugh.

38-40-78. First sub 80 of the year!

I drove the ball like garbage, chipped like garbage, putted subpar, but was amazing with my irons. I hit 12 greens in regulation (14 if you count fringes). Just goes to show you why approach shots are king.
They can render the other phases basically irrelevant.

Nice round!!

46/44 for 90 yesterday aft. The course was like a dirt parking lot no fairway grass and the tee boxes were horrible also. I hit 10 FW from the tee but left 10 short of the greens. Part of that is learning my new wedge distances and that will change pretty quick. Heading back out this for another try.

That happened to me last year... at Pebble Beach! My range session was sh*nk after sh*nk after sh*nk. Absolutely terrible timing. I took it out to the course too. Ugh.
This was no Pebble Beach, but it was a higher quality course than I usually play, which made it more disappointing. And it was somewhat gettable if I could've found a fairway or clubface center a little more often.

So close yesterday!!! Two doubles, and bogeying 3 of the par 3's hurt me. Was 4 over after 12, then went Bogey, Double (hole always gets me), Bogey (which was horrendous, as I was 100 out with a middle pin position, and only hit it 80 yards, then babied my chip up there for a 2 Putt). So, I needed to par out to break 80, and missed a 7 foot birdie putt on 16, then bogeyed a hard par 5 (missed a 6 foot down hill slider for par). However, I always play #18 well, and have birdie putts on it the last 4 times I have played there. So, missed my drive right, and thought I had no chance, but got a fortunate bounce. Left me with 144 uphill, back pin position. Hit a 9 iron fairly solid, but missed it left and had a 30 footer for birdie, not ideal, but at least I had a putt at it. Totally misread the putt as I thought it would go slightly right to left, and boy was I wrong!! Hard breaker left to right, and missed the putt 7 feet to the right. Proceed to miss that putt for my first 3 putt of the day. 40/41=81 on a par 71. I must say, that was a fun round of golf, especially having a legit chance of breaking 80 for the first time. I'm enjoying the journey!!

39/41=80 today, bogey on 18. That wasn't the cause really though, I had other chances as I had 2 double bogeys today, so there is at least 2 strokes that could have been better. Always tomorrow.

43/43 for 86 this aft from 6610 yards. That is a long course for me and i had a little tee trouble. My short game and putting were great i had 7 one putts today! Not sure i have ever had that many in one round. The SM8 wedges are incredible so much better after a solid practice session with them before the round. Still need to keep the driver work going so i can find more FW!

Thought I had it today for sure!!! Went 34 in front 9 (1 under) than proceeded to blow up on holes 11-17, going 12 over through those holes. So a 48 on the back.
Couple good bounces on the front (the biggest being holing out from 88 yards for an eagle). But on the back I just couldn’t stop shooting myself in the foot with one or two bad swings a hole.
My best 9 by 3 strokes, so taking that as a great takeaway. Just so happened it was also my 3rd worst 9 of the year on the back.
The chase continues!!!

Finally did it today, I shot a 78. I think it’s been at least two years since I’ve broken 80. I’ve come close with some low 80 rounds, but never broke it. It’s such a fine line with my game And good tee shots are a given, but I’ve noticed my wedges are the difference for me. When I’m dialed in, a round in the 70’s is in reach.

As I've been flirting with 80 a few times the last few months, had a thought last night. My home course (27 holes) can play as a par 70 or 71 with a slope/course rating of 71/124.

Since the course par is less than 72, should I really be setting my mark at +8 rather than an abstract 80? Also i'm well aware and agree that par is largely irrelevant, but its a personal measurement bar for me.

As I've been flirting with 80 a few times the last few months, had a thought last night. My home course (27 holes) can play as a par 70 or 71 with a slope/course rating of 71/124.

Since the course par is less than 72, should I really be setting my mark at +8 rather than an abstract 80? Also i'm well aware and agree that par is largely irrelevant, but its a personal measurement bar for me.

I think if hte goal is to break 80, then it doesn't necessarily matter what the course rating or par is. But as a qualifier on how easy it was to break it on that course, it adds some context. I would say recently I am happier with an 80 I shot on a tougher course than I am with the 77 I shot on an easier course because the 80 had some damn good shots on hard holes.

Totally forgot how to hit an iron today. Went 40-49-89 with eight lost balls - seven of them with a mid to short iron in hand. Honestly, it was a miracle my score was as low as it was, but 3 birdies, 28 putts, and a couple hole outs from chip shots definitely helped. Myroundpro gave me this breakdown for strokes gained (baseline is scratch):

Driving: -2.91
Approach: -12.44
Short: +2.33
Putting: -1.46

Not to mention that most of the strokes lost from driving were from my 5 iron (re-tee, 140 yard chunk). I only lost 0.6 strokes with the driver and 3 wood combined. Basically, I lost somewhere close to 15 shots with my irons this round. I guess I can take solace in the fact that I still managed to break 90, but it was honestly the worst ball-striking round in the 80s I've ever posted.

Last edited:
Last 2 rounds have been a regression for me, with a 92 and 89. I think the biggest thing for me is my mental approach to golf. One bad hole can get me off the rails completely, or when I know I have a bad round going I kind of give up. Yesterday however I was able to regroup after #9, and play some solid golf, just couldn't get the putter going.

I finally did it. Last Friday I shot 39/40 and broke 80 for the first time ever. Driver was on., distance control was good and I putted like never before. I think I'm finding a groove with all my new clubs.

I finally did it. Last Friday I shot 39/40 and broke 80 for the first time ever. Driver was on., distance control was good and I putted like never before. I think I'm finding a groove with all my new clubs.
Congratulations!!! It's a hard thing to get to (I'm still trying), but a huge accomplishment.

Congrats!

Nice work!

Congrats and time to set a new goal.

I wasn't keeping score last night during my team match (and I won on the 15th) but I was probably on course to break 80 - zero birdies, but zero double bogeys and a lot of pars that I can remember

I’d like to think that I’m back in action here with a 44/43-87. +9 on the front with poor chipping and a number of lost strokes from poor tee shots. Switched chipping methodology on the back nine and went +7 with a triple bogey after putting a ball in the hazard. Need to stay focused over my tee shots to mitigate damage if I want to make a run at 80.

i wouldnt put too much into course rating. A sub 80 round requires golf shots to be hit.

Hearthstone looks innocent enough on paper but when you play it, the nuances sneak up on you and a sub 80 round there is an amazing day.

dammit i was so close today. shot an ugly 6-over on the front with a bunch of dumb bogeys.
said i needed to shoot 37 to make it happen.

hit the green on 17 even par on the back, and 3-putted. first putt was a little too firm back into the wind, and the come back was perfect just caught a bump (punched recently) and knocked off line.

18 hit an ok tee shot and was between 9i and 8i. went with the 9i but pulled it into the trap. hit a good bunker shot but didn’t get up and down. back to back bogeys for a 38 and 80 on the day.

but i was close!

Got out this aft in the high heat with @MagicSpell and shot a 38/41 for 79! No doubles and only two 3 putts today. I hit 13 FW from the tee. My driver was on point today along with the 3 wood the 2 times i used it. Biggest change was my GIR I got 9 and had 3 being just a yard or two off. I did go long on 3 other approach shots also.

I almost didn't make it on 18 i had a great drive and 2nd shot on the par 5. I left myself 56 yards off the green. I was confident in the pitch up and tried to watch it before i hit it lol. Duffed it up by the green had to chip up and 1 putt for the par.

This is my 3rd round being sub 80!

az nat.jpgaz nat1.jpg

Back