Trying to Break 80 Club

Broke 80 for the second time this year (not counting silly courses)! I was having a great time with some THPers and had no idea I was even close to breaking 80. The key was holes like the one below, just staying in the hole after a mistake and trying to avoid double bogeys.
View attachment 9018905
View attachment 9018906
Congrats on a good round....I TRY to avoid keeping track of how I'm doing as well, and just try to play one shot, one hole at a time.....

Still trying to shoot in the 80s consistently but have had a couple of “what could have been rounds” after shooting 10 strokes better/worse on the back 9. Something tells me breaking 80 won’t be in play until next year

Still trying to shoot in the 80s consistently but have had a couple of “what could have been rounds” after shooting 10 strokes better/worse on the back 9. Something tells me breaking 80 won’t be in play until next year
Take it shot by shot, you never know what can happen! I shot a 76 at my home course this year and it’s my lowest round there by 5 strokes. Just had one of those days.

Shot my age today (75, from the Senior tees)! I rode instead of walked today b/c of heat and humidity.....gotta believe that helped!!

Shot my age today (75, from the Senior tees)! I rode instead of walked today b/c of heat and humidity.....gotta believe that helped!!
Awesome! 👍👍

I am 66 and the cardiologist told me I should not walk on hot/humid days as my BP drops and I get nauseous and dizzy.

Shot a 76 today from the senior tees. Not my age...more like my IQ...

Still a good score....Keep it up! I usually walk, but on hot, humid days my wife makes me PROMISE (when I walk out the door!) to ride.
I'm learning that she's right on that.....!

Went out today and shot 83 with a lost ball

Bit disappointed but the weather wasn't great with showers throughout the round so it was tough at times

41/43-84… good stuff except for 2 chunks.

Played the whole round with one ball - always a good thing.

finally did it at my home course! its been coming, i shot 81 and 80 last week with a double on 18 both times to f it up.
today i was 44 after nine so wasnt even thinking of it but came in with. -2 34 on the back to hit 78. Crazy game.

Congrats!! Nice comeback!!

Shot a personal best last week with an 83!!! 40 on front with a lost ball, 43 on the back with another lost ball. Felt good all day long hitting fairways(57%) and staying in play when I was just off of it. Hit more greens in regulation than I ever have hitting 10 of 18 and had 9 pars.

39/40 =79 today. Got up and down a lot, short game and putting is what helps break 80. 29 putts today.

Rough front 9 to begin my day yesterday, seemed nothing went right aside from 1 shot, a chip in from fairway bunker on a short par 4 for my first eagle. 49 on front :eek:

Next 9 was a very different story, hit quite a few fairways and made some good approach shots. 42 on the back.

Rough front 9 to begin my day yesterday, seemed nothing went right aside from 1 shot, a chip in from fairway bunker on a short par 4 for my first eagle. 49 on front :eek:

Next 9 was a very different story, hit quite a few fairways and made some good approach shots. 42 on the back.
Nice comeback! I always say, IF I'm going to make a big number (like a double or triple bogey!), I'd rather do it early in the round rather than later. That gives me plenty of time to recover.

I haven’t been able to play much this year, and usually more in mid to upper 80s. But last 2 rounds I pretty much went with the 3W off tee and it’s helping me avoid the big misses. I think it’s also helping the tempo on my irons. Had an 81 on tough home course w 12 GIR, just couldn’t convert but 1 birdie.

Slow and steady seems to be the way to go for getting under 80 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My game was firing on all cylinders about a month ago and mid/upper 70s was very doable. Not sure what happened but my game skidded into a ditch. Back to basics, especially with my irons. Looking forward to playing tomorrow after a couple of days away from the golf course.

That's been happening to me lately. The tale of two nine's...

My game was firing on all cylinders about a month ago and mid/upper 70s was very doable. Not sure what happened but my game skidded into a ditch. Back to basics, especially with my irons. Looking forward to playing tomorrow after a couple of days away from the golf course.

It's very frustrating. In any other activity you work hard at, you rarely, if ever, seeing yourself going backwards.

40-42 with 2 ob drives and 5 3-putts. 😵

Hit drive ob on a par 5. Proceeded re-tee and make a 3 shot par. 😕

Last edited:
40 in league tonight… I had four chips that hit the pin or the hole.

44/44 is a skanky number but it's progress! I've been struggling to stay down while rotating. Too much early extension. My putting was very sloppy today but that's the easiest part to clean up. I just need to focus more. Anyway, low 80s was very doable (2 blowup holes). I'll break 80 by Sunday!!!

34/46-80. Right. There. Haha.

34 (-1) is my first 9 under par, ever. I only hit one green in regulation on the front… 9 total putts. Got up and down for 6 pars and one super lucky chip in birdie.

Started leaking oil on the back. Got a bad bounce OB on 12, hurried and made it worse - ended up with a triple.

Finished strong with 2 pars on 17 & 18 including a 5 footer at the last to win my match.

I need to sort out why I’m getting sloppy on the back 9. Had a few Jekyll/Hyde rounds now.

38/39=77 Happy with this round. Shortgame!!!

41/41 yesterday. Had a couple bad drives and a couple missed birdie putts, but did make 2 birdies and a 30 footer for par.

Back