Trying to Break 80 Club

I think good putting will lift my spirts better than anything else. 30 putts is great! I posted 31 putts Sat and 30 on Sunday. No 3 putts either day, too. Time to get the other parts of our golf games back on track!

Freakin amen dude! Pair of good putting shows for you as well.

77 this aft. Staying out of big trouble for the most part and a few lucky bounces are helping! Putts just were not dropping today but loved my iron play and driver.

I feel like my game is finally where it needs to be to sign-up for this thread. My last 4 rounds have been <85.

Biggest area for improvement for me seems to be off the tee. Or that’s what Arccos says anyway. I’m way too short off the tee right now. Averaging a pathetic 219 with driver. But I’m averaging 198 with 3w off the grass.

My typical 400+ yd hole is driver off the tee then 3W somewhere around the green for a chip on then 2 putt. It’s killing me on longer par 4s and par 5s.

My iron and fairway wood play is solid. There’s always room for improvement in short game and putting. But if I can get driver to 250ish consistently I feel like 80s will be in the rear view.

Shot a disappointing 82 on Sunday in a pairs competition

However, the greens had been punched and sanded so were not in a good state, but we didn't know that until we arrived at the course and checked in and I had 3 3-putts during the round due to the ball bouncing around at times

Super frustrated with my putting right now. I've never been a great putter but things are getting ridiculous. Ball striking is as good as its been all summer.

Last 3 9's are 43, 40, 42. Hit 5/9 GIR in each of those. Here is the kicker. Putts are 21, 17, 19 with 8 3 putts.

Well, it happened BIG TIME! It's been far too long. Was rarely in trouble off the tee and had 11 GIR's! Shot a 74 and it's only my 3'rd round out with the Turbo HB irons. So much confidence. Next year the handicap is coming DOWN:)

78 on Friday, but a tough 86 on Saturday. A few too many tee shots OB. I know my weakness and can work on it, but the good news was that I had no 3 putts all weekend!

Got back last night from a few days away and only managed to break 80 once in the 3 rounds we played

Weather was spells of rain and wind for the first 2 days and I only managed 86 and then 82, but finally we got some better weather for our last day and I shot a 78 despite not really having my iron game dialled in all week - swing was a bit steeper than normal for some reason and very soft conditions saw quite a few heavy shots that came up short, along with a number of thinned shots as I tried to correct it whilst out there

Playing again this weekend at my home course, but I think some range time is needed to get things back on track

79 at Apple Rock at Horseshoe Bay today. Solid round. Three days of golf, 27/36/18, I’m exhausted. My Tour Edge Iron Woods(4-LW) continue to help me and frustrate my buddies, ha. Life is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it took me a over a year to do it again, but I finally broke 80 again today! Even shot a personal best 78!

Driver, and tee game in general really set the table well. Hit 57% of my fairways, and my missed were just off the fairway. Only needed 1 rescue shot. Been waiting for my driver to come back around. Started off the year so well, lost it, but made a tweak and today it was back! 4i off the tee continues to put me in great positions as well.

Approach game was on today as well. Hit 56% of greens. In particular my wedge game from 75-110 was better than it has been all year, and it helped my scoring.

Short game was good, which has been reliable all year. My putting really came around too. Usually when I'm that high on GIR %, my putts are closer to 38-40, while today I was at 34.

42/41-83 today.

By my count I had 12 shots I’d like to have back.

38 yesterday… sun was setting so I didn’t have time for the back 9. Played it down, which is my habit now, so I’m glad to be in the 30s without any preferred lies.

Bogey on 1, double on 2 with two wasted strokes, then I hit 3, 4, 5 and 6 greens for 3 pars and a birdie, got up/down for par on 7, and bogeyed 8 after getting out of position on the tee.

I missed the fairway right on 9 into an area that is absolutely in play 48 weeks a year, but right now is an inch deep with leaves, so I had to take (and play) a provisional. Ended up making bogey with the drop penalty.

The game has really come around this year and I’m confident that I’ll get under 80 soon.

I am hopeful I will get there in 2022. I was so close this year with a 39/42 and a couple low 80s rounds.

I am hopeful I will get there in 2022. I was so close this year with a 39/42 and a couple low 80s rounds.

Same here; I hit 80 on the nose twice, one of which was 34/46. The 34 was my first 9 under par ever.

I didn’t sniff a sub-80 round after my strong run in July. I’m retrospect I may have been playing injured, but I’m itching to get back to that level. Need to tighten up tee game and iron dispersion. Short game feel will come back once I can start getting out there more frequently.

I wasn't expecting it to happen yesterday after a month of not playing and unsurprisingly it didn't

Started par, birdie, par, par but it went rapidly downhill after that to finish with a round of 86

Lost 3 balls off the tee and a couple chunked chips in heavy conditions cost me another couple of shots, so that was 8 shots potentially better, but the wind was the killer yesterday

Was just good to get back out there after the break

I find breaking 80 is much harder than I ever imagined it would be. For a golfer like me I realize that everything has to be done well and I don't do everything well. I have to really focus on birdie golf and I am simply not that good from the tees I play. I did get a 78 on a sim round, but I don't officially count that as it was not on course play. They simply don't equal.

I want to break 80 on course and the course I play on all the time is a tough little 9 hole track can be brutal sometimes as it plays at a 132 slope from the gold tees, 138 white, 140 tips. The thing is I don't think it will matter because if I break 80 then how many games will I break 80 after that? It would be nice to do it once though. :ROFLMAO:

Broke 80 for the first time in a year an a half. 36-42 Only 1 double bogey and 2 3-putts. Came out strong and left a birdie putt on par5 #9 on the front lip. Got a bit lucky finding a ball that was a couple feet from OB which would have cost me two strokes. Feels good though after hanging around low 80s last 6 months.

Broke 80 for the first time in a year an a half. 36-42 Only 1 double bogey and 2 3-putts. Came out strong and left a birdie putt on par5 #9 on the front lip. Got a bit lucky finding a ball that was a couple feet from OB which would have cost me two strokes. Feels good though after hanging around low 80s last 6 months.
Congrats!! Always a great feeling. Remember your course strategy for next time!

After the tee troubles from last week, I played again yesterday, although 9 holes were considerably shorter due to the temporary greens they put in play after the frost we had overnight

Kept the same ball all round, made 3 birdies and 8 bogeys for a final score of 77
Got a little unlucky with a couple bunkers, both times managed to find them off the tee - first instance was with driver when I leaked it a shade right and flew it straight into the face of the fairway bunker about 6 inches from the lip where it stuck and I had no real shot other than try and blast it out and get it back onto the fairway of the par 5
Second instance was a couple holes later on a par 3 where I caught my tee shot heavy and didn't clear the front bunker and once again found myself up against the lip

Overall, a definite improvement from last week though

It's the depths of winter here near Philly apparently as it's been snowing a bit and bitterly cold lately. I'm usually all about winter golf but when the feels like is below 30 I don't find it fun anymore. All that said I've come along way in my 4 years of golfing (I'm 50 now for reference). I started with an infinity index I suppose and finished the last few seasons at 34 or thereabouts my first year, 29 something my second, 19 even two years ago and this year I finished at 13.4 but got as low as 12.8. I track all of my shots with my Garmin watch and their club sensors.

I'm decently long off of the tee with my driver as I average over 250 (258 to be exact lately) but at the end of last summer I was in the mid 260's. I can be wild off of the tee as that's what I have to work on the most. After that I need to get better at hybrids as I don't really go for anything if it's over 200 yards and I've learned I'm not good enough to hit a 4i. I know at my level that probably won't be a high percentage play but hitting something wide or long sure beats a duff or fatting/thinning it where I would've been better off with a PW. I'm decent around the greens. I grew up playing lots of tennis so my buddies think that has helped create soft-ish hands..who knows all I know is I'll bump and run when I can and when I can't I don't try for a hero shot unless it's match play as who cares I want the hole..haha. My putting is mediocre, I'm not bad but I'm not good either. I don't have any yips and I'm pretty solid 4' in unless it's a decent breaker and even then I won't kill myself for missing as it's usually a misread and not a bad stroke.

How am I going to get better you ask (or more likely you just skipped past this lol)? I bought a Mevo+ so I can practice more and with better feedback. I play at a Donald Ross course which has some space issues. Our range is between 1 and 18 but so close men can't hit driver or fairway woods beyond 2 hours from open so I only really use them on the course as on the weekend I'm just warming up to go out. I've already used it 3 times so far but I've successfully broken my cheap Amazon net. My wife will kill me if I spend much more right now on golf so I'll be using literal duct tape to keep that heap of junk together. I've spent most of my time hitting hybrids and my 4W off of the deck. It's translated into the two rounds I played a week or so ago as I hit all but one hybrid really well (I've parked my 4W for now as I'm just focused on working on my hybrids first).

My ultimate goal is to break 80 at least once in my life. I've shot an 82 and a few other 84's last season. I know I have it in me to do it but it's the driving force in why I'm trying so hard now. I have zero delusions of grandeur and honestly I don't even want to be scratch (not that that's possible). I want to be "country club good" I call it. I want to be able to shoot in the 70's from time to time, be a consistent lower 80's player and maybe most of all after getting a round in the 70's is having a game that can travel to other courses. I'm not greedy either, I was aggressive with my driver and 4W buys as they're both TSi3 models (fitted by a Titelist master fitter who came to the club), I have the swing to support them but I'm all Cleveland after that besides two TS2 hybrids I game as well. I went Cleveland as I believe in their mantra good quality doesn't have to cost a fortune and outside of sending it off of the tee I want easier or confidence inspiring clubs I can hit well. I honestly don't care if I spin a hybrid a bit more than I should as long as I'm consistent with it. I know my GI irons are fine as I don't have any issues holding greens with them. I putt with a Scotty as it's dead sexy lol. Also trying many other putters it doesn't seem to matter what I use so I might as well feel good while doing it.

This post might be better as a self chronicle elsewhere on this site and I might do that as well just to track my progress in 2022. Is there a section here for that or is that frowned upon? I guess I could create a blog to track myself but I'm lazy and I already come here daily lol

Last edited:
I've been hesitant to share, because golf karma gods taketh away SO often with me... but I've been shooting mid-ish 80s for several months now, knocking at the door and I finally broke 80!! Yes it's a short course, yes it's easier than most, but the wind in this area of Texas is pretty much a constant 15mph and you still have to make shots. Everything just clicked and I can't even describe the confidence boost it has given me.

1644852681508.png

I actually threatened breaking 80 over the weekend in my lowest scoring round since August! It looks like getting fit might help or something.

41/38 for a 79

3 birdies
2 double bogeys

10/15 fairways
9/18 greens
32 putts

Back