Trying To Break 90 Club

New member here, love the site. Great thread. I break 90 probally 40 percent of my rounds, normally I shoot in the low to mid 90's. My goal is to be under 90 all of the time. My tee shots and putting are usually consistent for a high handicapper, I usually hit the fairways about 60% of the time and probally average around 2.5 putts per green. My inconsisent iron play is what kills me though. Sometimes I will hit a nice perfect 150 yd. 7 iron in the green and other times hit the same club same distance fat and wind up 30 yards short. Anyway I wiil keep plugging along and better my game step by step.

Missed a 4 footer to shoot 90 yesterday. I don't look at my score durring a round so I didn't know how close I was. Probably would have tried harder. Last few rounds in the low 90's so I am close. Only hit 42% of fairways, 22% of greens and had 31 putts so there is room for improvement if I ever get my woods and irons working at the same time.

I'm bouncing back and forth between this thread and the trying to break 80 thread for a while now. I have successfully been under 90 4/7 times in the past 2 months.

Scores:

I'm going to hang around here for a bit longer until I can get 75% under 90. Getting close though!!!

thought I did really bad yesterday but after adding the score, I scored a 97. lost 7 balls and had (4) 3 putts. if I can minimize dropping shots and 3 putts, I think I can get to high 80's soon.

Lots of good stuff in this thread. I need to apply for membership, shoot mostly between 90-95. broke 90 once this year and once 2 years ago. Have taken 5 lessons this year working on coming from the inside instead of my usual over the top move. Also worked on my driver and short game some too. Most of my problems come from an errant tee shot or being 20-40 yards out. Ball striking has improved alot this year. I have read several pages of this thread, need to find time and read them all.

I’d like to apply for membership, I am still an active member of the “Breaking 100” club. I am averaging about 50/50 on sub 100 rounds this year, after breaking 100 for the first time last year. Recent lessons have made a big change in my swing, inconsistency haunts me at times. I now have a nasty over the top move if I get out of alignment.

Last weekend I play a 6 hole stretch at +1, and was sitting at 79 with three left then carded a quad and a triple, managed a par on the final to finish at 96. I also had a 3 putt par 5, dooh!

The game is coming along IF I stay relaxed and keep the swing in check at 70%, I should be under 90 by year end.

I’d like to apply for membership, I am still an active member of the “Breaking 100” club. I am averaging about 50/50 on sub 100 rounds this year, after breaking 100 for the first time last year. Recent lessons have made a big change in my swing, inconsistency haunts me at times. I now have a nasty over the top move if I get out of alignment.

Last weekend I play a 6 hole stretch at +1, and was sitting at 79 with three left then carded a quad and a triple, managed a par on the final to finish at 96. I also had a 3 putt par 5, dooh!

The game is coming along IF I stay relaxed and keep the swing in check at 70%, I should be under 90 by year end.

Congrats on the sub 100's! Before you know it, you'll be headed to the break 80 thread.

92 today. 50 on the back nine, containing an 8 & 9 on #10 & #15 (both par 4's) crushed me. Crazy game.

Shot a 90 today. 49 on the front, 41 on the back. That's with 3 8's, which really hurt. Nerves got the best of me on the front but I finally got settled down. Overall though, I'm happy I was able to pull together the back nine. Breaking 90 soon come!

Finally can put my head into this club after a nice round on Sunday. I knew I was playing well (shelved driver, too!) but didn't know I needed to sink a 60 foot putt on the 18th green to hit 89.

Good thing it somehow made it in - what a great way to finish a fun round with my friends and wife AND I broke 90!

Finally can put my head into this club after a nice round on Sunday. I knew I was playing well (shelved driver, too!) but didn't know I needed to sink a 60 foot putt on the 18th green to hit 89.

Good thing it somehow made it in - what a great way to finish a fun round with my friends and wife AND I broke 90!

Great finish to a nice round Nuevo. A 60 footer is no joke!

I shot an 87 last weekend. I was pretty much pushing everything right. I mean everything from driver through 9 iron. Short game and putting saved the day. I had zero 3 jacks which is always nice, and my chipping and pitching were on fire all day.

Shot a 92 today, 54 off which was on the front nine! The back nine is considerably longer but I learned today to forget the last holes and concentrate on the next. In the back nine was par-ing majority of holes with odd mess up here and there. My lesson to break 90 more often is to stop resorting to the driver on a par 4 when I can easily use my reliable 3 wood and use a hybrid or iron on the second shot. Driver can either go straight or anywhere for me :( 3 holes I scored a 9, 8 and 7, all of which were done with a driver which got me in out of bound and lost balls. If I had my 3 wood I could have broken 80 today!

Was breaking 90 about 50% of the time towards last season, but this year has been different...sort of. When I play the course I work at, I almost always break 90, though par 69, but when I go away to other courses, I have a hard time breaking 95.

My last exam is Monday though and hoping to play a lot of golf in the next few weeks and start breaking 90 on other courses and get some range practice in.

In! I've been shooting low to mid 90s for the last month (down from high 90s or low 100s) and so many times having blown up on 2 or 3 holes is the only reason I didn't break into the 80s. I feel like I'm so close, but to date my best score is 91.

Applying or provisional membership, having broken 100 a few times. Today's 96 was on a course where I have played a lot and the previous best was 103, so I feel pretty confident about staying under 100, most of the time.

On to 90-. Need to get a little more consistency out of my driver. Topped two tee shots today, hitting one into the water, and had another tee shot hit a tree just 30 yards in front of me. Just avoiding those would have saved three strokes. Need to focus on keeping the ball in play after every shot.

I shot an 87 on course #2 at Ponkapoag Golf Course in Canton, MA 2 weeks ago! First time I broke 90! 2 birdies back to back. Hoping to break 90 again today!

I broke 100 twice in the space of 2 weeks so i think i belong here now

To break 90 i think i need to:
1) improve my putting (in the last round i hit five 3 putts and two 1 putts)
2) Figure out how far i hit each iron.
3) Hit more fairways with my driver.
4) Get more GIR's.

My last round was far from good. I shot 98 and at times couldn't connect with the ball well at all. The back 9 was better than the front 9 but the 15th hole was horrible. Had to declare my ball unplayable twice :(

back to back 91 the past 2 rounds. hope to minimize 3-putting and I'm sure I'll be knocking on high 80's. I've carded 9-10 (3-putts) in the last two rounds. I hit the ball decent, therefore minimizing dropping shots due to penalties. I've only lost 3 balls the past two rounds. yay!

I need to update the seasons scoring in my signature. Recently I've shot 92, 87, and 88 at my new home course! The 92 was ridiculous, and honestly the 87 & 88 felt like ho-hum rounds that could have been much lower without all of the driver pushes into OB!

I need to update the seasons scoring in my signature. Recently I've shot 92, 87, and 88 at my new home course! The 92 was ridiculous, and honestly the 87 & 88 felt like ho-hum rounds that could have been much lower without all of the driver pushes into OB!

You need to come over with me to the "Trying to break 80" thread. Scores are looking mighty good.

You need to come over with me to the "Trying to break 80" thread. Scores are looking mighty good.

You are probably right, but I want to get comfortably into the mid/high 80's before I look at breaking 80. I'm still a tad to inconsistent for that to be a reality... But soon I will be looking for a new home!

Went out and shot an 82 on our home course on Sunday. No lost balls/penalties were the key for me.

Went out and shot an 82 on our home course on Sunday. No lost balls/penalties were the key for me.

Dude that is just flat scary! I can't wait to play with you again!!! You are gonna make me look like the rank (and I mean smelly) amateur that I am!

Wow that's a lot of exclamation points!!!

Dude that is just flat scary! I can't wait to play with you again!!! You are gonna make me look like the rank (and I mean smelly) amateur that I am!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone play again. Hopefully everyone will have a good day and we can see what everyone can really do.

That Vision Golf ball just stayed in play all day. I went out alone, and got paired up with some guys I didn't know. I just stayed in my head and played well all day. Stopped worrying about hitting it a ton off the tee, played a bunch of 3 woods off the tee to stay in play, and wound up hitting 9 of 13 fairways! What a difference!

Back