Trying To Break 90 Club

44/48 for me today.

Driving wasn't as good as last weekend, still hit some bombs. More iron approach shots than last week that were good and my chipping was better on this round. Yet, my score was 1 stroke higher. Had one blow up hole, losing a coupe balls and 3 putting to add to it.

Volatility of scores is the nature of the game right now. Keep swinging and hold yourself to the quest.

So my target for this season was to break 90, and at the last count, I've managed to do so 14 times on two separate continents, including one memorable occasion where I realised that 2 bogeys would mean I'd score 80, and proceeded to collapse like a souffle. Breaking 90 is still my target each round though, as off 17, 89 would mean hitting my hcp.

Last season I went with no woods to try and get some consistency in my game, and that worked well enough and allowed me to progress. I was finding back then that if I got off the tee OK, I was more likely to get close to 90 simply because my short game wasn't under as much pressure. A 3h was OK for then, but this season I've concentrated on finding more distance off the tee, going 5w, then 3w, then Thriver. As I got further off the tee, my scoring has improved simply by getting a better balance in my game. More 8 irons and below into greens on shorter par 4's meant less pressure on chipping and putting.

So now, my winter practice is to be getting more confident with a full length Driver, and hopefully I can scare the B80 thread. My only question now is whether the full length shaft I have in my Driver works for me (it's a Stiff, I'm more used to a Reg in fairways and Thriver). I'm averaging around 140-145 ball speed off driver, so I'm guessing that puts me around 95-100 swing speed, which is pretty borderline on either flex. I'm more concerned with dispersion and launch primarily, not ultimate distance, as that will come with decent contact and launch.

So my target for this season was to break 90, and at the last count, I've managed to do so 14 times on two separate continents, including one memorable occasion where I realised that 2 bogeys would mean I'd score 80, and proceeded to collapse like a souffle. Breaking 90 is still my target each round though, as off 17, 89 would mean hitting my hcp.

Last season I went with no woods to try and get some consistency in my game, and that worked well enough and allowed me to progress. I was finding back then that if I got off the tee OK, I was more likely to get close to 90 simply because my short game wasn't under as much pressure. A 3h was OK for then, but this season I've concentrated on finding more distance off the tee, going 5w, then 3w, then Thriver. As I got further off the tee, my scoring has improved simply by getting a better balance in my game. More 8 irons and below into greens on shorter par 4's meant less pressure on chipping and putting.

So now, my winter practice is to be getting more confident with a full length Driver, and hopefully I can scare the B80 thread. My only question now is whether the full length shaft I have in my Driver works for me (it's a Stiff, I'm more used to a Reg in fairways and Thriver). I'm averaging around 140-145 ball speed off driver, so I'm guessing that puts me around 95-100 swing speed, which is pretty borderline on either flex. I'm more concerned with dispersion and launch primarily, not ultimate distance, as that will come with decent contact and launch.

Sounds like you're a season ahead of where I'm at. I've been taking the woods out of the bag to keep it in play which has seen me break 90 a few times, but there's definitely limitations on how low you can go playing that way. I'm using the winter to really work at finding some level of consistency with driver/3 wood which should have a big impact on scoring.

Get a decent (and inexpensive) shaft and chop it off to 43.5", work up to full length from there.

For me to break the 90 glass I feel that I need something other than regular playing. I feel that consistent range and course time has really improved my game, but it seems to be plateauing. More importantly, I may have created bad habits. The last (only) time I have had any golf lessons was from the golf coach in high school. My swing and game are nothing like it was way back then.

For those of you that have taken lessens and/or have a coach, how did you go about finding the right coach for you? Did you just pick someone and hope for the best? What questions did you ask when trying to find a coach? My only real stipulation is that I would like to have a coach work to correct the flaws I have in my swing, rather than shoehorn me into " the method swing". How does one asses that a coach is in one camp or the other? If completely starting over is warranted, I might come around to that, but what would it take for you to undertake something like that? Does your coach use tools like GCC Quad or Trackman in your training? If so, did that help you progress faster? Or just show you how inconsistent you are?

For me to break the 90 glass I feel that I need something other than regular playing. I feel that consistent range and course time has really improved my game, but it seems to be plateauing. More importantly, I may have created bad habits. The last (only) time I have had any golf lessons was from the golf coach in high school. My swing and game are nothing like it was way back then.

For those of you that have taken lessens and/or have a coach, how did you go about finding the right coach for you? Did you just pick someone and hope for the best? What questions did you ask when trying to find a coach? My only real stipulation is that I would like to have a coach work to correct the flaws I have in my swing, rather than shoehorn me into " the method swing". How does one asses that a coach is in one camp or the other? If completely starting over is warranted, I might come around to that, but what would it take for you to undertake something like that? Does your coach use tools like GCC Quad or Trackman in your training? If so, did that help you progress faster? Or just show you how inconsistent you are?
Well, I found the teacher I'm starting with via a search for Mizuno fitters locally. I shot him an email, and after a few exchanges, we agreed to meet. I liked his demeanor and his teaching philosophy, so I signed up. We'll see how I progress.

Well, I found the teacher I'm starting with via a search for Mizuno fitters locally. I shot him an email, and after a few exchanges, we agreed to meet. I liked his demeanor and his teaching philosophy, so I signed up. We'll see how I progress.

When you get to the fitting segment, ask him its the V2 of their optimizer if he is using the Mizuno option.

When I searched for my teaser, I interviewed a couple of them and did some research and actually got a lesson from two different instructors.

My teacher does use a GCQuad in the training.

When you get to the fitting segment, ask him its the V2 of their optimizer if he is using the Mizuno option.
Will do.

EF4BAB05-53D4-44D8-8925-6317C7DB1190.jpegLooking good so far

Ended up at 91. With 40 putts. The new putter is really different and is gonna take some work. My iron play continues to improve only to have the putting let me down.

The second number is putts.
Think it was the direction of the card that threw me off. I figured the 2nd number was putts. MOst scorecards I have seen are in landscape format where you score left to right, yours is in portrait format and score top to bottom.

aid1361541-v4-728px-Read-a-Golf-Scorecard-Step-1-Version-2.jpg

Ended up at 91. With 40 putts. The new putter is really different and is gonna take some work. My iron play continues to improve only to have the putting let me down.
Thats awesome. Right on the cusp. How was the lag putting?

Think it was the direction of the card that threw me off. I figured the 2nd number was putts. MOst scorecards I have seen are in landscape format where you score left to right, yours is in portrait format and score top to bottom.

aid1361541-v4-728px-Read-a-Golf-Scorecard-Step-1-Version-2.jpg

Yes that's what did it for me. Its like when you discover that some languages read/write right to left. ?

Thats awesome. Right on the cusp. How was the lag putting?
Lag putting was fine but to many just slightly off line. Putts I normally make were off by 2 inches. The putts got worse after that picture of the score card.

Last edited:
Opposite over here (in general) - landscape scorecards twist my melon

:confused:Off to a great start today. Forgot to put some golf balls in the bag before I left home. At least they are on sale in the pro shop.

Finally feeling worthy of posting is this thread. Played last Sunday in chilly and fairly windy conditions. Shot a 45, 46 for a 91. 38 putts, but no triples, which is big for me.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last 5 rounds 93-92-94-93-93

Every round I can easily find 6 or 7 strokes I lost for something stupid.

Last 5 rounds 93-92-94-93-93

Every round I can easily find 6 or 7 strokes I lost for something stupid.
Awesome! That is some consistency right there. (y)
Finding those strokes and working on how to fix them is what I am in progress of doing at the moment as I am so close to breaking 90. :cool:

Back