Trying To Break 90 Club

Been close with a hand full of 91's. Just can't get over that hump.

That has been the story of my season. I feel like I'm swinging better than ever. I'm driving the ball farther than I ever have. But just can't put together 18 holes & break 90.

Wait til next year!

Is there a place to find all these threads? I tried the search bar without any luck. I'd like to read a Breaking 85 or 80 thread but I am having trouble finding it on here. Google search only gives me Golfwrx links.

Is there a place to find all these threads? I tried the search bar without any luck. I'd like to read a Breaking 85 or 80 thread but I am having trouble finding it on here. Google search only gives me Golfwrx links.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Trying to break 85 club

Trying to Break 80 Club

95 today with 4-3 putts and one snowman on 17 that I was laying 3-20 yards off the green?. I did manage 3 pars o the day.

Slight nudging by @JB that I should post in the Trying to Break 90 thread :ROFLMAO:

So, I am Introducing myself to the thread. Coming from the Breaking 100 thread where to JB's point, since I am breaking 100 almost every time out, it's not really trying anymore. I will still post to the B100 thread, just a fantastic group of peeps in that thread. (y)

I have broke 90 one time since I started back golfing back in June. Most recently have posted a couple 40ish 9 hole round scores. Until I get better and post some more 18's that are under 90 I will be posting to this thread. I am typically in the low to mid 90's at this point.

There ya go. You are breaking 100 consistently now, so love seeing new goals.

For these threads to work, members have to move up and sadly down to consistently help others, rather than turning into a catch all chat room which helps little.

The last 2 weeks have been pretty good with. 89 and a 91. Still making to many poor swings due to lack of focus and tempo.

My latest set of scores, counting backwards from most recent.....94, 94, 104, 101, 103, 98, 101. with a 78 and 80 on a par 60 executive mixed in. Hoping to one day set my goal to break 90. For now, I want to get my average down to 95.

so yes, @vdubtx get out of the B100 yard!

I think it’s great that people have a place to set goals and knock them down. If the thread goal is breaking a number when you do, moving up to the next goal thread seems like a recipe for success.

The more people that follow the model the more it leads to an active engaged audience at each step.

I think it’s great that people have a place to set goals and knock them down. If the thread goal is breaking a number when you do, moving up to the next goal thread seems like a recipe for success.

The more people that follow the model the more it leads to an active engaged audience at each step.

Totally agree. I'm trying to figure out what my plan of action is over the winter to help break 90 consistently.

I'm seriously considering joining the Top Speed Golf site ($47 for the year). I like Clay Ballard's videos & his approach. I gotta figure out a place to set up where I can make swings. Probably it's going to have to be the garage - but I need a way to heat it & buying a heater & moving cars out doesn't appeal to me - especially when it's snowing & near zero *F.

Just moved into the next stage.

My round Sunday saw me play ok then blow up on 8 to card a 51 on the front. I have been very consistently bad with my driver. I just can't seem to stop slicing and push slicing it. So I left it in the bag and used the 5W. ended up posting a 42 on the back 9. Two pars and a chip in birdie. The goal of getting my average down to 95 and start breaking 90 is engaged.

I really need to find a swing coach and get some lessons. I'm certain that at this stage it's necessary. I'm also contemplating finding a shorter shaft for my driver. I can typically get it working ok on the range, but on course not so much.

My round Sunday saw me play ok then blow up on 8 to card a 51 on the front. I have been very consistently bad with my driver. I just can't seem to stop slicing and push slicing it. So I left it in the bag and used the 5W. ended up posting a 42 on the back 9. Two pars and a chip in birdie. The goal of getting my average down to 95 and start breaking 90 is engaged.

I really need to find a swing coach and get some lessons. I'm certain that at this stage it's necessary. I'm also contemplating finding a shorter shaft for my driver. I can typically get it working ok on the range, but on course not so much.
I think some lessons from the right person will definitely make a big difference. For most golfers, getting proper feedback is the only way to make progress and someone who can look at your swing and help you make corrections and suggest drills will speed up your evolution into a better player.

Got a good round in today. I was hitting the ball pretty well with the driver but the irons are what did really well for me. I am really felling a difference with my upgraded Callaway Rogues that I put into play about 6 weeks ago.

91 on the day. No birdies, 4 pars, 2 doubles and a blow uphole with a triple bogey :eek:

long drive of the day was 299, got a really good roll out on dormant hard pack grass.

Couple highlight holes, hole 8 par 3 135 yards, about yards from pin.

F7706C00-68B7-4C3F-9798-105470314CED.jpeg
6DFA627D-4C75-4007-A3C9-ABF1E0BDB53F.jpeg

Hole 13, par 4, after a 262 yard drive, approach shot with a GIR.
41DB5378-1E1D-407C-8831-1E298E34FE3F.jpeg

No Birdies surrendered on this day

B8B4D297-344A-4114-A15C-EDB950A81FA8.jpeg

First round in a couple of months for me and managed to hold on towards the end and shoot an 89 in wet and windy conditions. Very happy with that after the last few earlier in the year had been closer to 100.
Good way to (probably) end the golfing year for me.

Got another round in today with a group of guys that I got paired with during the summer and they became regular playing partners. Very windy day today with it gusting at about 20+ mph at times.

They play from the white tees which is about 6000 yards. When playing on my own, I have been playing the blue tees which on this course is 6500 yards.

Driver for me today was money!! Hit so many great shots that was getting me close to the green, but my chipping game needs some serious work.

Case in point, hole 13 is par 4 at 320 yards. I drove the ball 291 yards, but still bogeyed the hole because I chipped and topped the ball sending it up to the green and rolling past the pin to the fringe on other side of the green. This was my long drive of the day.

91 today with +14 front 9 and +6 on the back. 4 pars with one triple bogey.

Only took one pic on the course today. This is hole 1 after a 268 yard drive, then a 132 yard 9 iron that the wind got ahold of and put me over the green. Chipped up to the green for one of my only good chips on the day. Misread the green and 2 putted, just not able to get out of my own way it seems :dohanim::eek::LOL:

714E52D8-10C6-4D5C-84BA-1107E8FC5985.jpeg

Man you are right on the cusp of getting there routinely.

Man you are right on the cusp of getting there routinely.
Thanks @JB ?
Right there on that edge. Chipping was really a detriment to my game yesterday. Played a tee box further up than I have been playing and the wedges were in play a lot more than my other irons. Yesterdays scores, with the driving day I was having would have placed me easily in the 80's!!

Good things to come when I get work in on my short game!!

I did not come close to breaking 90 this weekend. I'm sure I didn't break 100 on either round.

The course we played was the hardest I've played to date. I managed a few really good holes. I think I pared one on sat and 3 on Sunday. With a few others that I missed a putt and ended up with bogey. Nerves were real. They quickly subsided, but wanting to play well in a "competition" setting did have an affect. My second match was a back and forth affair. We traded leads and it came down to the final hole. My opponent @AzGolfer has amazing short game. So I knew he was never out of a hole. I made the choice on the tee to play a different tactic. I pulled the 6i instead of driver or 5W. I hit a great shot 177 yards to the center of the fairway. This left me 143 to the center of a heavily protected pin. Water back and right, deep bunkers in front. I managed to strike a perfect, had i been aiming at the pin, 8i that dropped just over the front bunkers on the green. The ball sat a foot from it's ball mark, leaving me a 18 ft side slope/down hill putt. 2 putt par from there to win the match.

I did not come close to breaking 90 this weekend. I'm sure I didn't break 100 on either round.

The course we played was the hardest I've played to date. I managed a few really good holes. I think I pared one on sat and 3 on Sunday. With a few others that I missed a putt and ended up with bogey. Nerves were real. They quickly subsided, but wanting to play well in a "competition" setting did have an affect. My second match was a back and forth affair. We traded leads and it came down to the final hole. My opponent @AzGolfer has amazing short game. So I knew he was never out of a hole. I made the choice on the tee to play a different tactic. I pulled the 6i instead of driver or 5W. I hit a great shot 177 yards to the center of the fairway. This left me 143 to the center of a heavily protected pin. Water back and right, deep bunkers in front. I managed to strike a perfect, had i been aiming at the pin, 8i that dropped just over the front bunkers on the green. The ball sat a foot from it's ball mark, leaving me a 18 ft side slope/down hill putt. 2 putt par from there to win the match.
Man you played great! Back and forth is an understatement. Even though it was friendly, like you said, the competition aspect is real and can make you choose the wrong shot. It’s easy to get sucked in and succumb to the pressure of making your next shot. Course management and execution of the right shot can go by the way side really quickly. Definitely a fun learning experience. Was hoping I could pull the same magic out of my bag on the 18th yesterday, as I did on Saturday, but a hook off the tee left me with a scramble to get back to the fairway, then a shot in the water left me a couple strokes back and ultimately gave me the L on the hole. Keep getting out there and playing. Thanks for the kind words about my short game. I was told a long time ago, it’s one of the things that people rarely practice, but is one part of the game where you can lose a lot of strokes. That being said, I try to practice a cpl hours a week just chipping and putting. I still have plenty of shots that I skull, chunk, or hit fat when around the green.

Hit the bottom of the cup from 181 with one swing. Walked away with a bogey. I will never forget this hole!

It took that shot to over shadow two 260 yard stripes from my THP driver. I’m finally starting to learn to swing it. If it wasn’t for a bad 90 deg kick I might have approached a 280 yard drive.

The quest for 90 is still on. 50/46 today. Three pars on the back 9.

The new year will see me taking lessens. A sub 90 round will be mine.
B5396E36-0D82-4CB9-92FD-84FE719843C9.jpeg

44/48 for me today.

Driving wasn't as good as last weekend, still hit some bombs. More iron approach shots than last week that were good and my chipping was better on this round. Yet, my score was 1 stroke higher. Had one blow up hole, losing a coupe balls and 3 putting to add to it.

The Ping 5w performed incredibly today. Had a 254 yard strike with it on a par 5 hole 2nd shot that got me to putting distance on a very difficult sloping green, 3 putted for par though :dohanim:

Back