Turnberry loses the British Open

It is surely a sad day for the Open rota, but let's face it guys, that Trump fella is a bloody idiot.

Equating a golf course that excludes women to a presidential candidate who wants to exclude an entire religion from his country is a stretch. It's not PC to have a private golf club that excludes women. It's not "a few things that are not PC in today's times" to say that any Muslim shouldn't be permitted to enter the US.

Wait a second. Are you okay with having Eurpoean PGA Tour events in Saudi Arabia and Dubai?? These are also countries that excludes a certain Religion and prevents travel to their countries to people born in a certain country. The people who "own" those CC are the vilest of the vile. Do your own search on the internet as describing their atrocities is not in line with what this site is about.

That also being said, did you have a problem with Augusta National? They not only excluded women, but any non Caucasian for a very long time.

As I said in a previous post, I'm sad for the Golf which will not be played there, but if you want to start pointing fingers at Trump, get ready to start pointing fingers at MANY other world organizations.

DISCLAIMER: This has nothing to do with my views on Trump. I never brought that into the equation and won't here.

Did Trump own Turnberry when The Open was announced it would be held there?

I don't think he did, I think the event was already scheduled

The 2020 Open Championship was never officially scheduled to be there. It was heavily rumored that the R&A was looking at that year to take the Open Championship back to Turnberry after the renovations were done and the course had a couple of years to settle in after the changes. The official venues have only been announced through 2019.

2016: Royal Troon
2017: Royal Birkdale
2018: Carnoustie
2019: Royal Portrush

Wait a second. Are you okay with having Eurpoean PGA Tour events in Saudi Arabia and Dubai?? These are also countries that excludes a certain Religion and prevents travel to their countries to people born in a certain country. The people who "own" those CC are the vilest of the vile. Do your own search on the internet as describing their atrocities is not in line with what this site is about.

That also being said, did you have a problem with Augusta National? They not only excluded women, but any non Caucasian for a very long time.

As I said in a previous post, I'm sad for the Golf which will not be played there, but if you want to start pointing fingers at Trump, get ready to start pointing fingers at MANY other world organizations.

DISCLAIMER: This has nothing to do with my views on Trump. I never brought that into the equation and won't here.

Trolling aside, my point remains the same.

If you're going to equate a private golf course excluding women to a presidential candidate proposing to exclude an entire religious sect from a country, you are sorely underselling the extremism of the presidential candidate.

And, again, speech and actions have consequences. There was once a boycott of AGNC in response to its position on excluding women from membership. And, Trump's course was previously excluded from use because of his extreme, exclusionary principles.

If I were only allowed to golf at a golf course whose owner's beliefs completely lined with mine, I may be taking up a new hobby.

I'm positive there are many courses whose owner's have extreme views that aren't politically correct and yet the PGA, R&A and other tours still play them on a yearly basis.

I'm betting most, if not all, who agree with this move doesn't like Trump too much. That's where the problem for me comes in. If you're going to exclude one course, you have to exclude them all.

(PS - I'm not a Trump supporter even though he says quite a few things that need to be said. I just wouldn't take an entire tournament away from a course because the owner says a few things you don't agree with. Again, every course would be off limits at that point.)

The 2020 Open Championship was never officially scheduled to be there. It was heavily rumored that the R&A was looking at that year to take the Open Championship back to Turnberry after the renovations were done and the course had a couple of years to settle in after the changes. The official venues have only been announced through 2019.

2016: Royal Troon
2017: Royal Birkdale
2018: Carnoustie
2019: Royal Portrush

hmmm, then i don't understand how they took away something that was never scheduled to be there

Trolling aside, my point remains the same.

If you're going to equate a private golf course excluding women to a presidential candidate proposing to exclude an entire religious sect from a country, you are sorely underselling the extremism of the presidential candidate.

And, again, speech and actions have consequences. There was once a boycott of AGNC in response to its position on excluding women from membership. And, Trump's course was previously excluded from use because of his extreme, exclusionary principles.

Sorry, brother, not trolling, just making a point.

I find this to be the ultimate hypocrisy and I'll leave it at that.

You should be boycotting anything and everything made in Japan, then, with their very strict Anti Muslim policies.

According to Morning Drive this morning the R&A wasn't considering Turnburry for 2020/2021 and thy don't believe the renovations and changes would be done in time and that the course is still in consideration for future dates and had nothing to do with Trumps comments but they are paying attention to what goes on in that area

This is a golf course, it's membership and employees that are being punished because of politics...just doesn't make sense.

I get what you're saying, but it makes perfect sense. They were going to make this decision anyway for reasons that had nothing to do with Trump's comments. By announcing it when they did they could allow the media to draw attention away from the real problems regarding renovations and revenues (negative press directed at the R&A) and get some 'atta-boys' in the process for standing up to the Bully (positive press for the R&A). The media hasn't been too kind to the R&A lately, what a great opportunity to get the media to speak positively about their decisions.

Back