Turnberry loses the British Open

How freaking silly, but I don't feel bad for him.

Hate to see that always liked Turnberry, But considering the major supporters on the EU Tour the R&A probably didn't have much of a choice. Hopefully Turnberry can get back in the roto in the future.

How freaking silly, but I don't feel bad for him.

Without getting overly political, do you realize what the politics of the UAE are, yet there are PGA Tour events held there?

Without getting overly political, do you realize what the politics of the UAE are, yet there are PGA Tour events held there?

Don't care to, no interest in mixing golf and politics.

Just a stupid decision by the R&A

I'm not necessarily a fan of Trump but this is dumb.

Silly decision on their part

Turnberry loses the British Open

Very stupid but expected after the ladies tour got all testy about it earlier this year. The British open is the red headed stepchild of the PGA majors (IMO) so I could really care less. If it's not at St Andrews I barely pay attention.

That said he'll probably still make money on this asset. Good for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seems a little ridiculous and stupid. So I guess going forward that if the owner of a golf course says or does something 'questionable' they are pulled too?

Golf at the highest levels has enough politics as it is without bringing actual politicians into it.

Seems prety silly but I'm sure we don't have the full story

I'm not necessarily a fan of Trump but this is dumb.
I think that's the biggest point, whether you agree or like Trump, the way his golf courses are being treated because of his comments seems like a bad decision for golf.

Just silly

I think that's the biggest point, whether you agree or like Trump, the way his golf courses are being treated because of his comments seems like a bad decision for golf.

Yet 100% predictable. I'm not surprised in the least by this reaction.

Always follow the money in situations like this....it's easy for the R&A to say this when a) they had not officially awarded a future Open Championship to Turnberry, and b) Turnberry has historically been one of the worst attended and least profitable venues in the Open rotation. This article talks about the financial issues in 2009, the last time the tournament was at Turnberry: http://www.scotsman.com/news/r-amp-...pen-rota-despite-163-2m-profits-fall-1-801923

The course itself is historic because of prior tournaments held there, but with the abundance of great courses in that part of the world, it's not a big loss for the tournament to not be played at Turnberry in the near future.

Always follow the money in situations like this....it's easy for the R&A to say this when a) they had not officially awarded a future Open Championship to Turnberry, and b) Turnberry has historically been one of the worst-attending and least profitable venues in the Open rotation. This article talks about the financial issues in 2009, the last time the tournament was at Turnberry: http://www.scotsman.com/news/r-amp-...pen-rota-despite-163-2m-profits-fall-1-801923

The course itself is historic because of prior tournaments held there, but with the abundance of great courses in that part of the world, it's not a big loss for the tournament to not be played at Turnberry in the near future.

I agree with what you're saying, but wasn't Trump supposed to dump a ton of money into Turnberry? Seems like the face lift would have been pretty epic.

Always follow the money in situations like this....it's easy for the R&A to say this when a) they had not officially awarded a future Open Championship to Turnberry, and b) Turnberry has historically been one of the worst attended and least profitable venues in the Open rotation. This article talks about the financial issues in 2009, the last time the tournament was at Turnberry: http://www.scotsman.com/news/r-amp-...pen-rota-despite-163-2m-profits-fall-1-801923

I saw this, too. Trump had promised to invest $200M on upgrading the property and already had all the licenses to do so, though.

Renovation has already started: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/...resistible-to-the-r-a-1-3923366#axzz3pPvZp877

So Trump has already dumped a bunch of money into that project. I can't see these developments making him stop in the middle of the renovation.

I don't think Trump will care one way or the other. I'm sad because I would have loved to see the Pros play on this course when it's done. His other courses are spectacular.

That being said (and I'm looking for the link) didn't the PGA pull an event from one of his courses and then have to cancel the event altogether because they couldn't find another place to hold the event in time?

I don't think Trump will care one way or the other. I'm sad because I would have loved to see the Pros play on this course when it's done. His other courses are spectacular.

That being said (and I'm looking for the link) didn't the PGA pull an event from one of his courses and then have to cancel the event altogether because they couldn't find another place to hold the event in time?

Oh, I disagree that he cares. He's wanted major championships on his courses for years and he finally got two of the three possibilities. He just lost one, and who knows if the PGA won't yank away the other. Let's not forget the WGC is also in a possible venue change

Oh, I disagree that he cares. He's wanted major championships on his courses for years and he finally got two of the three possibilities. He just lost one, and who knows if the PGA won't yank away the other. Let's not forget the WGC is also in a possible venue change

I see what you mean for sure, but Trump is going to make money one way or another. Maybe not as much as if the Open is there, but people are scrambling to play there as it is, I'm sure. It's an historic place! I could be wrong.

Back