UnOfficial Nor Cal/So Cal Get-Together Thread

Are you ready to RUUUUMMMBBLLLLLLEE!!!

So with the announcements made for the Cleveland event, I'm hoping that you lucky three still want to participate in the North vs. South event as well.

I've had a chance to get everything sorted with the courses and am pretty excited with how things are shaping up. We are booked for 16 golfers and need to maintain a minimum of 12 with both courses to keep our outing intact. As things get closer I will ask for names and GHIN numbers so we can have the scorecards made and I can mix up the pairings and matches. Let me know what you think!

Hunter Ranch - October 17th - First tee time is 11:49am
- $106 includes green fee, cart, range balls and $15 to either the pro shop or food/beverage (we have to decide as a group one or the other)
- The course will be printing cart signs and handicapped scorecards
- We will likely be doing a couple closest to the pins and/or longest/most accurate drive
- They want one payment on the day of so if everyone could bring cash for me, I will make the payment. Deposit is already in place

Monarch Dunes - October 18th - First tee time is 8:30am
- $75 includes green fee, cart & range balls
- We will likely be doing a couple closest to the pins and/or longest/most accurate drive
- They are fine with everyone paying separate on the day of (plan accordingly as there is a bunch of us). Deposit is already in place

Thank you so much for setting it up. You're a Godsend!

I was another lucky duck selected for the Up and Down. I'd still like to try and do both, I just need to work my schedule out for both. Only difficult part is that I live far enough away that it's not super feasable to go home and come back for both events.

I don't have an active handicap right now. I probably need to get back into the NCGA anf get it going. Is it a problem for me not having an active handicap, or should I just jump into the NCGA now and let it handicap me coming up to the event?

I do not have a GHIN either.

Are you ready to RUUUUMMMBBLLLLLLEE!!!

So with the announcements made for the Cleveland event, I'm hoping that you lucky three still want to participate in the North vs. South event as well.

I've had a chance to get everything sorted with the courses and am pretty excited with how things are shaping up. We are booked for 16 golfers and need to maintain a minimum of 12 with both courses to keep our outing intact. As things get closer I will ask for names and GHIN numbers so we can have the scorecards made and I can mix up the pairings and matches. Let me know what you think!

Hunter Ranch - October 17th - First tee time is 11:49am
- $106 includes green fee, cart, range balls and $15 to either the pro shop or food/beverage (we have to decide as a group one or the other)
- They want one payment on the day of so if everyone could bring cash for me, I will make the payment. Deposit is already in place

Monarch Dunes - October 18th - First tee time is 8:30am
- $75 includes green fee, cart & range balls
- They are fine with everyone paying separate on the day of (plan accordingly as there is a bunch of us). Deposit is already in place
Thanks for setting this up. It looks like it's going to be a great time.
Congrats to those who made it in to the Up & Down. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them. Those who made it in, let me know if you can still make this get-together. If doing both is unrealistic, we understand. Congrats again!
Not sure, at this point, if I will be able to attend both Up & Down and our get-together.

I was another lucky duck selected for the Up and Down. I'd still like to try and do both, I just need to work my schedule out for both. Only difficult part is that I live far enough away that it's not super feasable to go home and come back for both events.

I don't have an active handicap right now. I probably need to get back into the NCGA anf get it going. Is it a problem for me not having an active handicap, or should I just jump into the NCGA now and let it handicap me coming up to the event?

For folks that don't have an official cap, we will just ball park it. I want to try and pair off players with similar handicaps so the competition is fair and fun!

We will also need to talk about formats. I'm thinking Sunday is singles matchplay, but for Saturday we split the nines and do a fourball and a pinehurst, etc. Main thing is that no matter the format, the emphasis is on fun and we don't get hung up on winning.

For folks that don't have an official cap, we will just ball park it. I want to try and pair off players with similar handicaps so the competition is fair and fun!

We will also need to talk about formats. I'm thinking Sunday is singles matchplay, but for Saturday we split the nines and do a fourball and a pinehurst, etc. Main thing is that no matter the format, the emphasis is on fun and we don't get hung up on winning.

Sounds great to me. A friendly matchup. Nothing serious/intense. Golf is already hard enough; we don't need anymore pressure.

Not sure what a fourball or a Pinehurst is, but I am sure I'll enjoy it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

For those that don't have a handicap and don't belong to a Club you can join a "virtual" club via the handicap tracking tab at the top of the screen. That is how I maintain my handicap with the NCGA.

This made me laugh! Not at you, but because I've never played either type of game either but was thinking it has to be fun!

Fourball is where the foursome is made up of two members from each team. Each player plays their own ball and the lowest net score between the teammates counts as the teams score for the hole. From there its matchplay. Basically team matchplay.

Pinehurst (aka screw with your buddy) is where each the foursome again is made up of two members from each team. Each player hits a drive, then for the next shot each player hits their teammates drive. You then choose the best ball of the two and from there it is alternate shot until the ball is holed. Again, it is played as matchplay within the foursome.

I might play in the occasional scramble, but that is far as my intellect will take me on golf games. I can barely keep one foot in front of the other as it is.

Sounds fun

You have to remember, I am from Central California. Some of us are a little S...L...O...W. (Only speaking for myself, do not mean to offend any other Central Californians).

I've never played either of those formats but they sound like they are a lot of fun.

I have heard of these formats being played at THP events but I have only ever played in a scramble. Sounds like fun.

Thanks Heez for getting everything lined up. I'm dissapointed in not making it in the "up n down", but I know this will make things easier schedule wise.

As for the games, I'm up for anything. I like match play, every hole is worth a point. Some sort of scramble/shamble pinehurst is fun too - relying more on your partner.

Do we need to nominate captains once final rosters are set - then they would decide the groupings? Or do we randomly draw pairings. I see advantages to both.

I nominate The Heez and Schanker.
Both have been in GRAND THP Events (one in #TheKing and one in #TheGrandaddy)

Thanks Heez for getting everything lined up. I'm dissapointed in not making it in the "up n down", but I know this will make things easier schedule wise.

As for the games, I'm up for anything. I like match play, every hole is worth a point. Some sort of scramble/shamble pinehurst is fun too - relying more on your partner.

Do we need to nominate captains once final rosters are set - then they would decide the groupings? Or do we randomly draw pairings. I see advantages to both.

I don't think captains are a bad idea. I was thinking about trying to pair everyone up based on their handicaps for singles day and then mix ups the pairings on the first day so we all get to play with new folks.

Both are excellent dudes...sounds good to me.

This all sounds great, Stephen is awesome, would be pumped to have him as my captain.

As far as handicap, if you can have one that is great, but if not no huge deal. You can get one here on THP if you want. For me it is worth it to be an NCGA member as I plan on playing poppy hills & poppy ridge at least once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to those who made it in to the Up & Down. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them. Those who made it in, let me know if you can still make this get-together. If doing both is unrealistic, we understand. Congrats again!
Have I mentioned lately that my wife is wonderful?

I sure hope my NorCal teammates have broad shoulders and/or strong coattails because I will be attending both events.

Tell your wife time4tim said thank you. That is great news.

Hey guys, I've been lurking and admiring the event. Thought I'd pop in to share that there's a formula published somewhere for creating an approximate handicap based on 1 or 5 rounds. I can't find it, though I did find this tool which apparently does the calculations for you

http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfhcapcalc.html

Hey guys, I've been lurking and admiring the event. Thought I'd pop in to share that there's a formula published somewhere for creating an approximate handicap based on 1 or 5 rounds. I can't find it, though I did find this tool which apparently does the calculations for you

http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfhcapcalc.html

Thanks for the link.

Frank,
You should join us. You qualify for the NorCal team. There's more Cali transplants up there than natives. :)

Sent from my G3 using TapaTalk Pro

Uh oh, I may have taken my first lesson in 3 years this morning. Bringing the goods for the NorCal Crew!

Why does this have to be two months away!?!

Back