UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

Looks like another great offering from UST!

Looking forward to some reviews... this could be a good fit if I go with the new Apex irons.

So, swung my first graphite iron shaft in the past couple of weeks.

pretty impressed.

coming from stiff $-tapers, the Recoil 110 F5 is not such a huge detour as I would have thought. weight is a little less but not too bad. I think I'm glad I gave into the F5 flex, because they feel just a bit "softer" even at a stronger flex but still very stable. still need some more course time but feels like the similar irons in the set launch about the same, if not a little lower.

So, swung my first graphite iron shaft in the past couple of weeks.

pretty impressed.

coming from stiff $-tapers, the Recoil 110 F5 is not such a huge detour as I would have thought. weight is a little less but not too bad. I think I'm glad I gave into the F5 flex, because they feel just a bit "softer" even at a stronger flex but still very stable. still need some more course time but feels like the similar irons in the set launch about the same, if not a little lower.

Thats interesting on the feeling softer. Especially in the F5.

Well I’ve got 5 months on mine now and
still loving them. I of course got these from the Hogan/UST experience. Before that I’ve never played graphite in irons. I’ve tried them but even the recoil 95 didn’t work with my swing.

I ended up with recoil 110 Protos courtesy of Danny. These play just as good as steel and I will never go back now. Ball flight is high and penetrating. Spin is great and feel is superb. And best of all my elbow pain I had for over a year is gone now.

1616294079624.jpeg1616294079624.jpeg

Last edited:
Excited to put the Prototype 110's in to play after making the switch from years of DG X-100's. My elbows and wrists were taking a beating, so hopefully the graphite will really help. It was almost tempting to go with the Steelfiber i110 since the numbers were so close, but getting the Recoil's at just over half of the retail price was too good to pass up.

Excited to put the Prototype 110's in to play after making the switch from years of DG X-100's. My elbows and wrists were taking a beating, so hopefully the graphite will really help. It was almost tempting to go with the Steelfiber i110 since the numbers were so close, but getting the Recoil's at just over half of the retail price was too good to pass up.
I went from constant elbow pain to none after the switch to graphite. I’ll never go back to steel

Thats interesting on the feeling softer. Especially in the F5.

I have been testing a Recoil 110 F5 in my 7 iron as I consider a change. I do have the Nippon Modus 3 120x in my irons but I can feel some of the difference in flex.

I went from constant elbow pain to none after the switch to graphite. I’ll never go back to steel

That's fantastic to hear, especially since it seems to be quite common. Getting tired of being tired on the course after slugging it out with the DG's. Definitely looking forward to a reduction (or elimination) of the aches.

Well I’ve got 5 months on mine now and
still loving them. I of course got these from the Hogan/UST experience. Before that I’ve never played graphite in irons. I’ve tried them but even the recoil 95 didn’t work with my swing.

I ended up with recoil 110 Protos courtesy of Danny. These play just as good as steel and I will never go back now. Ball flight is high and penetrating. Spin is great and feel is superb. And best of all my elbow pain I had for over a year is gone now.

View attachment 8998933View attachment 8998933
I still love the look of these so, so much.

Been playing with the Recoil 95 in a set of 921 HMP and have been really loving the feel of these. Planning on tinkering with a few balls to see the changes in results but have been pleased as I really like this weight profile for my swing. Also installed some Recoil Wedge Protos to try out. Really liking the balance point on the wedges making it much easier to swing weight heavier vs the Kinetixx wedges.

Still really enjoying the feel of these 95 recoils and the Proto wedges. The protos have performed nicely in the wedges and have performed greatly on partial swings with the wedges into greens. Have been able to get the ball to check up a few times which isn’t too common for me as well. The iron shafts feel great in the release on the ball in the swing. I’ve been able to maintain consistent numbers on my distances and flight with my shots compared to other shafts I had previously tried.

I have a question: Where did you guys order your shafts from assuming you didn't get a new set of irons?

What is the typical lifespan on a graphite shaft? I absolutely love mine and frankly, even at the high price point, would spend the money for these shafts in my next set. Just wondering if I need to start saving now :LOL:

What is the typical lifespan on a graphite shaft? I absolutely love mine and frankly, even at the high price point, would spend the money for these shafts in my next set. Just wondering if I need to start saving now :LOL:
I have over two years on mine, and have beat the heck out of them with no issue. I think you will be good for a while.

it is funny this thread popped back up. I am really considering some UST recoil proto 110s or 125s...

I have a question: Where did you guys order your shafts from assuming you didn't get a new set of irons?
I usually get my shafts from GolfWorks but all shafts are slim pickens.

I am going on 4 years with my Recoils.
I just had a Driver shaft snap at the 4 year mark.

I am really liking my SW780s. Lighter than I have ever played but they feel great.
I probably will not ever go back to steel iron shafts except in my wedges.

I have been really enjoying the Recoil 95s. It may be a touch light into the sand and lob wedges but through the iron set its' been great. Thinking about adding them to the Mizuno set of 921Fs as well if I hold onto both iron sets.

The Recoil 95’s have been by far my most favorite shafts I have played in my irons in graphite or steel doesn’t matter. Really love the consistent feel at impact and transition that they provide. I’ve tried lighter shafts and they bring more left shots into play but these are the best of both worlds in that they are not 100 gr + shafts that feel heavy towards the end of a round or ones that you have to absolutely lay into to get to perform. Playing these along with the Lin-Q Black has me hoping that down the line they will involve the M40X into some iron and wedge shafts I could only imagine how great those would feel.

All I know - Recoil 110 F5 ssx1 is absolutely the best iron shaft for me. Nothing else can provide the feel/flight that I'm wanting......but Recoil can

Going back to Recoil 95 F4 in the new irons and can’t wait. Always got along with Recoils and hoping this will help the elbow issues.

I’m thinking of getting some recoil 110’s. I do not know if I should go F4 or F5. I’m a “tweener” and exactly on the line between their swing speed recs. I play $-taper 120 now with great results and have sold irons before that were X flex (x100) for feeling “too stiff.” Anyone have a thought?

Back