Utility vs Game Improvement Iron

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If you play one or the other, how did you choose?

I’ve never seen a UT that I didn’t think I could game.

I have both, I consider the Apex 19 a game improvement iron because of the offset and tech and have that in the bag over a Forged UT.

It is just easier to hit for me. Offcenter strikes are much better.

Leaning UT recently as I want a low, running tee club. Feel more versatile away from the tee.

GI irons are fun but can't keep them down.

GI iron for me, I just hit them better. I have never got along great with a Utility.

I've had a love hate relationship with UTs. I love the thought and when I'm swinging well they are amazing. I haven't played lower than a 5 iron in a GI to speak of. Hybrids for me work best it seems

UT would blend better with my set.

I go Utility, main reason has always been offset for me. It’s dumb, but offset in longer clubs freaks me out.

Utility. They seem to be more purpose build for what I am looking for vs, just a more forgiving club head.

GI in 4i spot based on fitting from
Titleist. So far working great, get plenty of spin and height.

My first iron is a ZX4 6 iron to go with my ZX5 7-PW so I definitely went GI iron. I love my 5Hy so I am kind of out of the utility iron market since they generally are not going to have a loft I could gap under that, but I do like to have my longest iron carry a little extra pop in case I have to hit a long one out of deep rough.

GI are more consistent, but the UT is longer for me. If there's any wind, UT is needed, as a GI always balloons in wind.

Had a Bridgestone Utility, and a Mizuno 921HM 4i.

The 4 iron won out. Why? Probably wasn't taking the 4i out, and more likely to need it in a round.
The Utility just was never getting used. Maybe once a round. Weirdly the 4i would get used more often.

Usually need more speed than I have to make a Utility work, so I would stick with GI iron.

I had a UT but I will be moving to a GI 3 or 4i next year.
Never seemed to find the groove with the UT but my LTDx's are so easy to hit.

UT, fits the gapping at the top the best. Plus doesn't get up into the stratosphere as much as GI. Just got a new one, it's pretty good.

I presume the OP is intended to mean in a longish iron spot. I play neither at this point in my golf career. I need the launch of a hybrid in those spots.

I recently switched from a Cobra Utility 2u to a Cu Forged Tec 4i with graphite design shaft in it. They are not for the same spot in the bag but the Cu Forged Tec is much easier to hit. The 2u was replace with a 5w and the 4i replaced the CB 4i I had in the bag. I wasn't getting a good gap between the 4 and 5 in the CB so I tried out the Forged Tec I had laying around with the shaft from the 2u. lol

Best I've done is with GI 4i. I tried a UT and could never get it down. Went back to a GI iron and went back to doing well. Though, I tried an SGI in the 4i spot earlier this year and it hasn't gone as well as I'd like. I'd say GI is the sweet spot for me

A utility iron is so much fun to hit. Long and hot off the face.

Lower trajectory for me than a hybrid or fairway wood though. For me a utility iron is easier to hit than a game improvement iron. Usually they have lighter and now mostly graphite shafts.

I have a 4 & 5 utility iron that I put in the bag from time to time or for when it is either very windy or for very firm fairway conditions like when playing links golf in Ireland & Scotland.

Back