Volvik Condor and Condor X Golf Balls Review

I played 18 today with the Condor X. My normal gamer is the TaylorMade Tour Response. My normal shot shape is very high. I got the same distances with these as my TaylorMade. And the same high ball flight.

The Volviks are 20 higher in compression than my TaylorMade, and could definitely "hear" they were harder. The sound off my irons and driver was very pleasing. Again, I got the same distances as my normal gamer.

I really liked the sound off my putter. I could definitely hear they were harder.

The only negative for me was chipping and pitching around the green. I prefer the feel of a softer ball here. The standard Condor is about the same as my normal TaylorMade, and I preferred it around the green.

And most important, I didn't lose a ball.
Compared to the Tour Response did you notice more spin chipping and pitching around the green with the Condor X or did it just feel harder?

Had a better 2nd round out with the Condor and Condor X off the tee. The wind was non-existent, so I got a good baseline of what the balls could do. The Condor was better dispersion wise throughout the 9 holes, but the X wasn't too far off. Saw a straighter ball flight off the tee than the first round out. Had a few that fly more like what I'm used to, high and pretty straight. Had one miss where I left the face open and the X really took off right, but that's a result of the less than stellar strike. Distance was comparable with both balls. I had the long drive of the day with the X, that was slightly downhill and caught a good roll. But overall, each had shorter, and each had longer, shots for the round with driver in hand.

So off the tee with driver, I feel a lot better about the both. I prefer a lower spin ball off the tee, so the Condor would get the nod over the X off the tee for that reason. The feel is very good, with the X slightly firmer but definitely not harsh.

For approaches, I was seeing a bit more action than last round. A different course, and the greens were more receptive, so that was a variable for me. I was seeing a hop and stop with the X, so around 3 feet or so more than carry on a well struck approach with an 8i in hand. With the Condor I was seeing good action too, but a bit more roll out, maybe 7-10 feet with my 8i. The Condor is in line with my old gamer, and the X checks up a bit more. Feel here has been, and continues to be good, with the X a bit firmer, but nothing thats harsh. I think the X flys a bit lower, based on my eye test. Overall I don't think it's a big difference.

On short-ish pitches (50-60 yards) from the fairway, I was getting the X stop and coming back to sit close to it's pitch mark. Nothing crazy, and not ripping any back. The Condor, was more of a stop and hop, with a roll out a few feet passed the mark. Again, what I'm used to from my old gamer. From the rough, seeing a bit more roll out from each, but as expected.

Off the putter, I think these both sit in a good range, feel wise. For me, the Condor sits in the middle of most, not too hard, not too soft. The Condor X, while a bit firmer, is definitely not harsh off the putter face.

Played the Condor for most of my round today, until I lost one. Switched to the XT soft for the last few holes.

I definitely over spin the condor a bit. I say this based on long irons and Driver shot shape. Next round will be primarily XT soft, so a good comparison is coming.

The second hole of the day was a short ish par 3. I hit a good 8 iron that hopped and only rolled a little. Set me up for my first bird of the day. That shot eludes me pretty often. The roll out usually kills me.

Through 14 holes the ball started to show some wear. This same ball played 3 holes a week ago. There was a tree strike, but the wedges seemed to start eating the cover a bit.

Soft, but firm is how I’d describe this one. I’d probably compare it most in feel to something like the Zstar or the Chrome soft from last year. Great feel, just maybe not the right ball for my game currently.

Played the Condor for most of my round today, until I lost one. Switched to the XT soft for the last few holes.

I definitely over spin the condor a bit. I say this based on long irons and Driver shot shape. Next round will be primarily XT soft, so a good comparison is coming.

The second hole of the day was a short ish par 3. I hit a good 8 iron that hopped and only rolled a little. Set me up for my first bird of the day. That shot eludes me pretty often. The roll out usually kills me.

Through 14 holes the ball started to show some wear. This same ball played 3 holes a week ago. There was a tree strike, but the wedges seemed to start eating the cover a bit.

Soft, but firm is how I’d describe this one. I’d probably compare it most in feel to something like the Zstar or the Chrome soft from last year. Great feel, just maybe not the right ball for my game currently.
I agree with the Chromesoft comparison for feel

I didn't notice any more spin. Just felt harder
Interesting as I don't think those tour responses have a lot of spin compared to other premium balls. Even less than an RX. When you say it's hard is that on off center shots? Or all shots?

Is it clicky? Curious you are getting equal distance.

That z stat reference has me excited. Now that I'm back home after a long couple trips (lost time for golf as days were packed)

If it rains this weekend garage time happening.

That z stat reference has me excited. Now that I'm back home after a long couple trips (lost time for golf as days were packed)

If it rains this weekend garage time happening.
I’ve played almost nothing but Srixon the last two years since I really like the divide and the QST and I get along.

The condor could be ok for me, but I expect to land on the XT soft as my preferred ball.

@J4U may have some random thoughts on the CondorX. He hit one for a few holes today 👍

I’ve played almost nothing but Srixon the last two years since I really like the divide and the QST and I get along.

The condor could be ok for me, but I expect to land on the XT soft as my preferred ball.

@J4U may have some random thoughts on the CondorX. He hit one for a few holes today 👍
Could have left off the few holes part! :ROFLMAO:

I was actually very impressed with that ball! Felt great off driver and irons and felt a little softer than I expected.

Couldn't explain why it seemed to get going off the putter quicker. I was adjusting to it until that stupid tree kicked it to who knows where!

Was enough of a taste to warrant looking for a sleeve and continue to give it a go.

Could have left off the few holes part! :ROFLMAO:

I was actually very impressed with that ball! Felt great off driver and irons and felt a little softer than I expected.

Couldn't explain why it seemed to get going off the putter quicker. I was adjusting to it until that stupid tree kicked it to who knows where!

Was enough of a taste to warrant looking for a sleeve and continue to give it a go.
What's your go to ball?

Sunday these will be back in play and I will update more. Range was rushed yesterday so no putting or chipping

Last edited:
Ok so fun story about today's round... I played a ProV1 for a few holes before settling into the round. I pulled the Condor out and noticed it played very much identically to the prov1. I witnessed very similar feels and very good spin.

The ball is very durable and didn't note any major differences, might wear a bit more than a Titleist, but at the same point I've beat those up as well.

Prov1 be a bit softer but this condor performed for me. I didn't see much difference and enjoyed the feel of the wedges and could control distance and run out very nicely.

Off the putter more of the same enjoyed the feeling and felt good off the face.

Today I will play the Condor Soft ball. I sometimes play the Srixon Soft so this should give me a good feel for me today. My weather is perfect: tee off time 130pm will be around 76*, sunny, NACITS (not a cloud in the sky). No rain since Sunday, and it was little downfall. I'll post after my round tonight. POSTED

Last edited:
I played a tournament over the weekend and this was my ball of choice. I had been playing them for most of my rounds to start the year so I figured why not. That is saying something for these. They performed well once again. I still lean toward the X model just a smidge for performance factor, well that and I made 3 birdies in a row with it :oops:

Today I will play the Condor Soft ball. I sometimes play the Srixon Soft so this should give me a good feel for me today. My weather is perfect: tee off time 130pm will be around 76*, sunny, NACITS (not a cloud in the sky). No rain since Sunday, and it was little downfall. I'll post after my round tonight.
Condor Soft? Are you referring to the XT soft? If so that is a different model, not a condor

I played a tournament over the weekend and this was my ball of choice. I had been playing them for most of my rounds to start the year so I figured why not. That is saying something for these. They performed well once again. I still lean toward the X model just a smidge for performance factor, well that and I made 3 birdies in a row with it :oops:
Just bragging now.

Condor Soft? Are you referring to the XT soft? If so that is a different model, not a condor
yes, the XT Soft. I just got home and had another interesting adventure. I spun out of the way of a car by my mailbox and tripped over the curb. It was witnessed by another couple who live in my development, and they assisted me along with calling the Rescue squad. Needless to say other than some scrapes and bruises I'm ok. I was just pulling into my driveway, checking the mail and WHAM, dizziness and a spill. OK just to preface I was NOT INTOXICATRD, I did consume 3 beers while playing and had no food eaten for the day; however, I stand on being OK. lol

Now, for today's Volvik Ball testing, I played the XT Soft. I really like how the ball looks; the putt setup markings are really bold and stand out. I do occasionally play the Srixon Soft and thought that this ball would give me an honest comparison tween 2 "Soft Balls". Off the tee IMO I prefer the Srixon for feel and distance. Hitting out of the fairway I would say that I had no difference in feel/distance between the 2. Chipping IMO, I thought that the XT Soft felt better of the club and how it "grabbed" the greens. Putting, this was a total shock to me. I felt that the Soft XT outperformed the Srixon Soft. I had better control and feel off my putter face with this ball than it's competition.

So, in trying all 3 Models of the Volvik Condor, Condor X & Soft XT IMO I feel that my preference would be as follows:

Volvik Condor
Condor X/Soft XT with the X off the tee/fairway then swap to the Soft XT for chip/putt.

Again I would like to thank both Volvik and THP for this testing experience and I will definitely be using these balls for the upcoming golf season.

Last edited:
I played most of my round on Friday with the Condor. I say most because I lost 2 in the round... and that was the end of the Condors until my Instagram win showed up on Sunday :)

I believe I'm seeing more side spin on the Condor, and even more on the X off the driver. My fade gets exaggerated into a slice pretty easily with these. I prefer the feel of the standard Condor off the driver, the X feels a bit too firm.

Irons, pretty much equal. I don't see the same overspin as I do with the driver.

Wedges, I don't spin much usually... so not surprising that I don't spin these too much or that the ball rolls out.

Putting is fine - though a little clicky with the X.

I'm leaning towards the XT Soft after this initial few weeks of testing. Going to give a few sleeves of the X to @J4U, and will continue to test the XT Soft and Condor for a few more weeks :)

I played most of my round on Friday with the Condor. I say most because I lost 2 in the round... and that was the end of the Condors until my Instagram win showed up on Sunday :)

I believe I'm seeing more side spin on the Condor, and even more on the X off the driver. My fade gets exaggerated into a slice pretty easily with these. I prefer the feel of the standard Condor off the driver, the X feels a bit too firm.

Irons, pretty much equal. I don't see the same overspin as I do with the driver.

Wedges, I don't spin much usually... so not surprising that I don't spin these too much or that the ball rolls out.

I'm leaning towards the XT Soft after this initial few weeks of testing. Going to give a few sleeves of the X to @J4U, and will continue to test the XT Soft and Condor for a few more weeks :)
Went looking for them after trying yours with no luck. Really appreciate the gesture my friend!

Been so rainy and ugly and was at the WF championship haven't been able to test lately. I need to get back out there this weekend for my bday.

I really like the xt soft for sure

Well, it was League Day again today and the Condor went back into play. If you have read previously on this thread, you know how I felt about this ball. Today's weather, 70 deg, high humidity, thick air, partly cloudy. Rain clouds in distance but would not affect our play. We played the back 9 which starts off with a par 5, got off tee ok. Wasn't a bomber but still got 210yds. 2nd shot was 3W which I had to hit through some thick rough, solid hit but only about 150yds because I hit way too behind and took out lotsa thick grass. Now for 3rd shot roughly 185yds, took my 3H and thought it was a clean hit; landed on something hard (root ?) and bounce through the green and into the rough behind.
Some of you know that recently I was chosen to be a part of Team TourEdge, in our 1st shipment we were gifted a set of 2 Wingman Wedges (56,60deg). This was my 1st attempt of using the 56*(my usual 56* is a Cleveland RTX 3), and I was toast. I never even have swung this club and found out that it was lighter than my reg club, grooves are kinda close, but I don't spin the ball great. Anyway, I landed the shot 4' over the hole and it kept on rolling. So, Condor/Club are not a perfect match.....lol.
Ended up with double bogey because I just could get a good feel off the putter. I thought between the 3 varieties of Volvik Balls, I prefer the Condor X off my putter.

Switching back to the regular Condor. X was spinning a lot for me off driver last few rounds. Once I make the driver switch I could end up back here.

Back