Warning Callaway Trade In Problems

Bethpage Hack

Reaction score
Callaway

Last edited:
I’m prepping a trade-in with Callaway. What excuses did the reps give and what was their proposed resolution?

THey said they were behind because of a large amount of trade ins, and the frustrating part was that they said there is nothing they can do. I spoke to a supervisor and he said they same. Basically, tough deal with it. Surprising, but very disappointed that they are ignoring their own stated policy. Very bad form.

I mean to be fair, everyone is behind with what is going on these days and if they are communicating to you that they are behind and will get to it, I feel that is fair to an extent. I know you want your money promised, and I don't see Callaway not honoring your trade in, but if a few hundred bucks is of that much need, the purchase maybe should not have been made. There are places like Edwin Watts that will honor Callaway's trade in policy right there and give you the credit up front, so that is an option next time if you want the trade in right there. I don't mean to come off rude at all, just going based of what you have said. I'm not making any assumptions either, but as long as it doesn't take them 6 months to do so, then I'd cut them a little slack.

My local Golf Store will honor the Callaway trade-in value upon my purchase. I do like talking to Callaway directly. I am sorry to hear that it is taking longer than anticipated.

so i sent trades into callaway late december. ups confirmed delivery to callaway on 12/28. i still don't have my trade credit.

the email i received on 1/10 said their receiving department is experiencing delays due to high volume. as of 1/10 they were processing items received on 12/10, but they expected return processing time to be back to normal by mid january. as of 1/10, they expected to issue credit to me by 1/22.

yeah, they're definitely experiencing delays right now. but so is everyone else.

I mean to be fair, everyone is behind with what is going on these days and if they are communicating to you that they are behind and will get to it, I feel that is fair to an extent. I know you want your money promised, and I don't see Callaway not honoring your trade in, but if a few hundred bucks is of that much need, the purchase maybe should not have been made. There are places like Edwin Watts that will honor Callaway's trade in policy right there and give you the credit up front, so that is an option next time if you want the trade in right there. I don't mean to come off rude at all, just going based of what you have said. I'm not making any assumptions either, but as long as it doesn't take them 6 months to do so, then I'd cut them a little slack.
So you are the guy who loses a bet on a golf course and doesn't pay? I mean its only a few dollars and your opponent really doesn't need it since golf is an expansive sport?

I get it that everyone is behind, but either take the policy off your website, and truthfully when you have had my items since early December, it should be issued, whether or not I need the money, Business is business. (No Edwin Watts near me, and I wanted a certain shaft length).

THey said they were behind because of a large amount of trade ins, and the frustrating part was that they said there is nothing they can do. I spoke to a supervisor and he said they same. Basically, tough deal with it. Surprising, but very disappointed that they are ignoring their own stated policy. Very bad form.
Have they given you a timeline or advised if they would honor the agreed upon price from when the order was submitted?

So you are the guy who loses a bet on a golf course and doesn't pay? I mean its only a few dollars and your opponent really doesn't need it since golf is an expansive sport?

I get it that everyone is behind, but either take the policy off your website, and truthfully when you have had my items since early December, it should be issued, whether or not I need the money, Business is business. (No Edwin Watts and I wanted a certain shaft length).
First. Don’t be a Richard. I was just making an observation. I get it. They agreed to pay you and I’m sure they will. Secondly, you can get the specs upon order from wherever you choose to order even if it is at somewhere like Edwin Watts.

Honestly - I've had nothing but good experiences w/ Callaway preowned in the past (who I think manages all of the trades). But if this is true - they're having delays that other folks aren't. I traded a few things in to other places and the turnaround was within their standard times. I think the holiday week (I think Callaway shuts down) is probably exacerbating the delays.

However, this time of year and during their summer sale, they almost always have a "trade ins are going to take longer" message on the trade in site. I know they've done a site redesign somewhat recently, so maybe that changed?

I wonder how many trade-ins Callaway gets a day. Taking the holidays out, a month seems like enough time. I don't know, maybe they only have a few people handling hundred of trades a day. But, I agree with OP. If you can't meet your own deadline, explain that on the website. Most folks will accept that.

I wonder how many trade-ins Callaway gets a day. Taking the holidays out, a month seems like enough time. I don't know, maybe they only have a few people handling hundred of trades a day. But, I agree with OP. If you can't meet your own deadline, explain that on the website. Most folks will accept that.
Yes that is the point of my post.

Have they given you a timeline or advised if they would honor the agreed upon price from when the order was submitted?
I don’t see how the agreed upon amount could change from the date of order was submitted. If that ends up being the case then for sure people should let it be known but in all my dealings with CS I have never been wronged by Callaway. And I’m not saying this bc I’ve been to the GD. It’s a straight up observation.

If you go to check the CPO inventory, it's much lower than it has been in years, both in terms of Callaway gear as well as other brands. I'm sure they will get to processing trade ins, but the reality is that A) they're most likely understaffed, and B) the amount of clubs coming in and going out is probably sky high due to how popular golf still is right now, in addition to how high used equipment pricing still appears to be.

Insinuating Callaway is not a stand up company because of this is not the way to go, IMO.

Sucks for you, but lots of places are way behind and I am guessing the pile of product they got in recently has grown considerably with the announcement of new gear.

I have had nothing but excellent experiences with their trade in department, sorry again you are having to deal with the delays and hope they get to it sooner rather than later.

I traded my clubs in for a set in late November and it took longer than the allowed time. I had some leverage since I was buying a set but they gave me free shipping, free bend to lie angles, and free length cut. Eventually, my trade was processed.

I don’t see how the agreed upon amount could change from the date of order was submitted. If that ends up being the case then for sure people should let it be known but in all my dealings with CS I have never been wronged by Callaway. And I’m not saying this bc I’ve been to the GD. It’s a straight up observation.
Agreed, my three or so interactions with CPO customer service have been positive, but the last one was a year ago and these are crazy times. I don’t see how they wouldn’t honor the stated value at trade-in. Just curious if there has been any communication in that regard since we’re in release season and these are crazy times.

i have a credit card that i use for trade-ins (and my other golf buys)...i don't really use it for anything else so to "justify" keeping it, it's for golf :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:...when i trade in, i just wait it out for the credit to come back. wouldn't be happy with having a long wait but it is what it is.

Agreed, my three or so interactions with CPO customer service have been positive, but the last one was a year ago and these are crazy times. I don’t see how they wouldn’t honor the stated value at trade-in. Just curious if there has been any communication in that regard since we’re in release season and these are crazy times.
Overall I could see being upset if Callaway said sorry we aren’t paying you, but not the case. They are behind and knowing how they do business I’m sure they are doing the best they can.

I've had nothing but superb customer service from Callaway. Getting upset that things take a minute during these COVID times, would not be my approach.

You would think after nearly 2 years in a pandemic that we would understand that there are not the same amount of people in the workplace doing the manual work. The amount of golfers has increased and the club purchases and trade ins has also increased. Employers are rightfully concerned about employees mental health so they are not all working them to the bone to get 5 workers output out of 1 worker. Things are taking longer

Overall I could see being upset if Callaway said sorry we aren’t paying you, but not the case. They are behind and knowing how they do business I’m sure they are doing the best they can.
I agree. Just curious since I’m planning an order and trade-in here in the near future.

I'm certainly not an apologist, but I do find it strange that without similar timeline comparisons, you're calling TaylorMade a "little more standup of a company" purely based on the turnaround time of a return process.

I get the frustration, absolutely I do.... but the lack of workers and current golf craze.. I think it's to be expected.

CPO has been outstanding to me.
I get the frustration however I do know they shut down shipping between Christmas and New Years.
When they have been delayed with me, they have always honored their pricing.

Back