Was Adams Golf underappreciated?

The THP forum thread on the A12OS irons got me to THP actually. I would say Adams were more appreciated than let's say Wilson over the past 10 years and now. I actually still have the XTD as a backup driver in my bag, such a good club. Ernie Els was playing the XTD tour irons for a few years. Bernhard Langer still games a Idea Pro Hybrid, that will never leave his bag :). I said it on the live chat yesterday, I miss Adams as a golf club brand. Such a shame TM couldn't or wouldn't do more with the name.

Last edited:
Some might say that Adams invented the hybrid market but you could also say the same about Taylormade.
True. The Taylormade Rescue is the first hybrid I ever remember seeing.

The THP forum thread on the A12OS irons got me to THP actually. I would say Adams were more appreciated than let's say Wilson over the past 10 years and now. I actually still have the XTD as a backup driver in my bag, such a good club. Ernie Els was playing the XTD tour irons for a few years. Bernhard Langer still games a Idea Pro Hybrid, that will never leave his bag :). I said it on the live chat yesterday, I miss Adams as a golf club brand. Such a shame TM couldn't or wouldn't do more with name.
Actually I played two rounds with Kevin Mayoux at StaffProto 2017, he had been involved with XTD club design at Adams before he moved on to Wilson. Such a great guy and he answered my questions on the C300s as well as the XTD driver. When you're playing golf with the guys who designed your clubs, doesn't get much better than that.

Considering that on most studies on recreational golfers usually saying Adam's is the most likely brand if they carry a hybrid says a lot.

Their clubs are still on tour. Irons and Hybrids that wont go softly into the night.

I think there is a lot of good the brand did and I think Taylormade failed by not at least turning Adam's into a sub brand.

Actually I played two rounds with Kevin Mayoux at StaffProto 2017, he had been involved with XTD club design at Adams before he moved on to Wilson. Such a great guy and he answered my questions on the C300s as well as the XTD driver. When you're playing golf with the guys who designed your clubs, doesn't get much better than that.

THP Experiences are fun. 😀

Adams Golf was super underrated!

Considering that on most studies on recreational golfers usually saying Adam's is the most likely brand if they carry a hybrid says a lot.

Their clubs are still on tour. Irons and Hybrids that wont go softly into the night.

I think there is a lot of good the brand did and I think Taylormade failed by not at least turning Adam's into a sub brand.
Yup, still have hybos on the big Tours. Says a ton.

The death of Adams is why I have a little bit of a disinterest in TM. I think almost everyone of my first clubs were Adams and some of the first clubs I dreamt about were Adams. Heck, that’s what Sadlowski won his WLD Championship with back in the day.

True. The Taylormade Rescue is the first hybrid I ever remember seeing.
I honestly dont recall which one came first but I do know that in the UK people often refer to hybrids as, "rescue" clubs and Taylormade called one of their first hybrids the, "Rescue", so maybe that tells you something.

To this day, some of my favorite clubs ever are Adams and I still look for a set of them at times to throw in the bag. I 100% think they are/were underrated.

Adams CB3 irons
Adams CMB irons
Adams Fast 12LS driver
Too many hybrids to name

Still have a few of the red hybrids in fairly new shape. Likely hold on to them as there is little market or trade in for them. Fun to hit every now and then

Well in any event, this is kind of your fault for poking a sensitive nerve for me. I have spent $40 on worse things. I remember the Matrix not being too bad either. Although, it's no RIP.

View attachment 8935031

That looks SO similar to the SIM driver. Uncanny...

I really loved Adams. I played a progressive set of Adams forged irons for a long time. I can’t remember which model, but they were great irons. Adams clearly was under appreciated, at least imo.

That looks SO similar to the SIM driver. Uncanny...
Gotta get that weight low and back! It's a design that has popped up throughout the years on a few OEM's. It doesn't have the aerodynamic design of the SIM though. And, in hand, that little ridge isn't huge.

Funny this thread pops up because Wednesday I pulled out my old Idea Black CB2 irons just for giggles and proceeded to have the best ball striking round of my entire life. I was all in on Adams golf and had 3 iron sets. Their raw MB irons they had that would rust were my favorite looking irons of all time. Multiple times I almost bought them just to look at since they were/are way out of my skill range.

I really loved Adams. I played a progressive set of Adams forged irons for a long time. I can’t remember which model, but they were great irons. Adams clearly was under appreciated, at least imo.
They were kind of the creators of the progressive set as we know it. Made some damn great irons.

Funny this thread pops up because Wednesday I pulled out my old Idea Black CB2 irons just for giggles and proceeded to have the best ball striking round of my entire life. I was all in on Adams golf and had 3 iron sets. Their raw MB irons they had that would rust were my favorite looking irons of all time. Multiple times I almost bought them just to look at since they were/are way out of my skill range.
Those CB2’s are killers.

I think based on when I started playing golf around 2006/7 they were so hot and all I knew was adams hybrids, they were such a classic, performed great, I know of a few bags at my home course that have some adams still in there!

I never experienced Adams clubs but keep hearing here that they were awesome and under rated... I never remember seeing them in any friends bags when we would play... I remember seeing a lot of Ping clubs but no Adams.

That doesn’t mean anything though and it does not take away that the clubs were well designed according to reports.

Not sure where they went wrong, but when I gamed Adams clubs, I did think they were underappreciated so I guess I still feel the same.

Was Adams golf sold to Taylor made because they had to or they wanted to?
I wonder if they regret the sale or the purchase.

So, sentimentality got the best of me. $40 well spent though. Can't wait to get home and tear into the box like a kid on Christmas.

Screenshot_20200406-151326_Ring.jpg

IMO, absolutely. My personal experience was with a combo set of Redline irons and hybrids. I took them to New Zealand and sold them for a song to a friend whose swing really suited them. I played with him again this year, and he still hits the crap out of them. I borrowed and hit one 7i shot during a round together this year and it flew the green. WTF was I thinking?:ROFLMAO:

I never found a wedge or putter I would play but I definitely would have played their driver, fairway, hybrids and irons.

There are a couple generations of the 4060 and 5050 fairways that were awesome!
The pro hybrids we are always good!

Back