any good tips for a good brand of replacement watch straps out there? so many choices

For rubber, Isofrane! For leather, I don't know as I only wear divers.

primarily leather, but possibly some exotic too.

I’ve used Aaron Bespoke for both and he does nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang, never tried them but I like the look.

I might take you up on that. 👍
Please do. I have about 6 watches that rarely get worn. This past weekend was the first time I’ve worn a timepiece in quite some time and these NATO straps haven’t been used in years.

Totally forgot about Nato straps. :facepalm:

Couldn't help myself - just came in yesterday. I bought it used from my brother so I know its history.

breitling crosswind special.jpg

I am working on getting one of my watches sent out for repair, and it's kinda reignited the watch bug...I really want to get a blue Omega Seamaster Pro with the new Master Chronometer coax movement and the display back, but struggling with how to justify circa $4K on a watch to the wife lol. I can afford it, but she has always thought that kind of bucks on a watch is stupid. I've wanted one of these for at least 15 years though, and I know any substitute for it will simply cause me to continue pining...

I also have really wanted a Nomos Tangente as a watch for smart casual to formal wear for a long time, but that comes in second to the Omega that has had my heart ever since I first saw it on Pierce Brosnan's wrist in GoldenEye!

Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-SMP-Baselworld-2018-5.jpg

Nomos+Tangente+101+02.jpg

Once cell phones came out, watches became jewelry to me and I'm not into jewelry. So, I stopped wearing watches about 25 years ago. Of course, it's okay if you are into jewelry, I'm just not.

Once cell phones came out, watches became jewelry to me and I'm not into jewelry. So, I stopped wearing watches about 25 years ago. Of course, it's okay if you are into jewelry, I'm just not.

All good. It's pretty irrational really...but I can't help what I like! I'm just fascinated by the operation of a quality mechanical watch, and I love the idea of something that should run essentially forever if you take care of it.

All good. It's pretty irrational really...but I can't help what I like! I'm just fascinated by the operation of a quality mechanical watch, and I love the idea of something that should run essentially forever if you take care of it.
With that in mind, I did remember after my post that I do still own one watch. It's a 100 year old Elgin pocket watch that my great grandfather left for me. It's ornate 24-carat gold and still runs well. When I was a small boy I used to love to climb up in my great grandfather's lap and he'd pull out his watch and put it up to my ear so I could listen to it. As I got a little older, he'd point out various features of the watch. My great grandfather remembered all of that and left me his watch in his will. He lived until just before his 95th birthday, so it was quite a few years later before I knew he had done that. I cherish that watch.

With that in mind, I did remember after my post that I do still own one watch. It's a 100 year old Elgin pocket watch that my great grandfather left for me. It's ornate 24-carat gold and still runs well. When I was a small boy I used to love to climb up in my great grandfather's lap and he'd pull out his watch and put it up to my ear so I could listen to it. As I got a little older, he'd point out various features of the watch. My great grandfather remembered all of that and left me his watch in his will. He lived until just before his 95th birthday, so it was quite a few years later before I knew he had done that. I cherish that watch.

That is just awesome. Thanks for sharing that. Definitely a great example of a watch running forever if you take care of it too!

I miss a good watch, though I'm pretty comfortable with my apple watch for all it provides.

Since I retired I only wear a watch when golfing and that is only for distance and scoring. Sad because I have some very nice watches from my past waiting to be handed down.

I am working on getting one of my watches sent out for repair, and it's kinda reignited the watch bug...I really want to get a blue Omega Seamaster Pro with the new Master Chronometer coax movement and the display back, but struggling with how to justify circa $4K on a watch to the wife lol. I can afford it, but she has always thought that kind of bucks on a watch is stupid. I've wanted one of these for at least 15 years though, and I know any substitute for it will simply cause me to continue pining...

I also have really wanted a Nomos Tangente as a watch for smart casual to formal wear for a long time, but that comes in second to the Omega that has had my heart ever since I first saw it on Pierce Brosnan's wrist in GoldenEye!

Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-SMP-Baselworld-2018-5.jpg

Nomos+Tangente+101+02.jpg

Both are great watches. I have a Nomos Metro 38 Datum and I love how understated it is. Glad to meet another Nomos fan on THP. I like watches as well but during COVID most of them are sitting in their cases unfortunately.

Both are great watches. I have a Nomos Metro 38 Datum and I love how understated it is. Glad to meet another Nomos fan on THP. I like watches as well but during COVID most of them are sitting in their cases unfortunately.

The Metro is cool! I've always been partial to the Tangente but honestly I would wear the hell out of any of their pieces. Yeah Nomos generally flies under the radar, and I definitely like it that way. I definitely plan to join the owner's club someday in the semi near future.

I have a modest collection now (4 watches - a cheap Timex, a Seiko solar diver, a Victorinox pilot style mechanical and an Orient Star that is reminiscent of an Aqua Terra), but I would like to add a few to that. I wear the Orient most often, as it's kinda that quintessential do anything style watch (see below). If I do end up going for the Omega I mentioned or an Aqua Terra, it would probably take that place...

1636726317492.jpeg

I miss a good watch, though I'm pretty comfortable with my apple watch for all it provides.
If you win anymore Morgan Cups Rolex might send you a watch to wear while taking trophy pics.

1c50672219047972cda6a45c71ef832f.jpg

Got a new strap in yesterday for the Omega. This watch basically looks good with anything.

If you win anymore Morgan Cups Rolex might send you a watch to wear while taking trophy pics.
Haha I wish! I'd drop the Apple watch for a Rolex in a heartbeat

Bought a house so I think it’s going to be time to ditch my Rolex for the time being. Definitely not what I want to do but it makes sense to do so. Hopefully in the next year or 2 I’ll have a Tudor on my wrist and hopefully another Rolex within the next 3. Assuming the Rolex madness calms down.

23EB4783-6D34-4718-ACBB-DA213A051085.jpeg

Bought a house so I think it’s going to be time to ditch my Rolex for the time being. Definitely not what I want to do but it makes sense to do so. Hopefully in the next year or 2 I’ll have a Tudor on my wrist and hopefully another Rolex within the next 3. Assuming the Rolex madness calms down.

View attachment 9043691
house definitely seems more useful. (y)

house definitely seems more useful. (y)
I would agree. It’s more so due to timing. The funds from this are going towards a ring. I wouldn’t feel comfortable draining that much cash in one year between a house and ring while still having this on my wrist

View attachment 9043691

Whooooo that one is nice. I’d be a sad guy to have to get rid of that one. Which Tudor are you interested in?

Whooooo that one is nice. I’d be a sad guy to have to get rid of that one. Which Tudor are you interested in?

I’ve gotten pretty lucky with finding OPs. I really want the Harrods (recently passed on one) but I’ll probably end up getting a BB58 blue or the BB58 GMT if the rumors become reality. I love the two tone chrono as well but I think it will be a little pricey. For now, I might just grab a seiko to wear

I’ve gotten pretty lucky with finding OPs. I really want the Harrods (recently passed on one) but I’ll probably end up getting a BB58 blue or the BB58 GMT if the rumors become reality. I love the two tone chrono as well but I think it will be a little pricey. For now, I might just grab a seiko to wear

Sounds like your letting it go for a potentially great reason. I love the BB58 blue, I have a Zenith that isn’t getting a whole lot of wrist time that I’ve been debating trading towards it. That greyish-blue dial is something special with the domed crystal.

Back