Weight Loss Drugs - Thoughts?

Not sure I understand your point on this statement. My argument would be it could reduce them by decreasing the percentage of overweight people in society
I think the point he was trying to make is the clear abuse of Ozempic.

Which kind of proves my point too. Take a pill and lose weight, but never change the reason you got there because it takes too much time and effort.

Like I said, I'm probably a bit jaded here because I see this with my parents and it hurts me to my core to watch them basically killing themselves and they just don't care. Even when they tried while I was there and felt so much better, the second I left it was back to pizza, Chinese food and donuts.

I really hope I am wrong, sincerely I do, because no one should have to deal with the awful side affects that come with obesity. And it really is one of the absolute hardest things to come out of because eating is a fundamental necessity for living.
I’ve had the diet and exercise relating to health conversation close to daily with I don’t know how many people Over the years. I can count the number of people who truly listened or asked appropriate follow-up questions and made lasting changes probably on less than 2 hands.

So I certainly don’t know the answer, but if I can say do this, and you can have a kick-start. That perks my ears a bit.

Also just want to state that after Phen-Phen I would never trust any weight loss drug the a pharmaceutical company was pushing. I have seen multiple women die from it, and a family member debilitated from it.

Also just want to state that after Phen-Phen I would never trust any weight loss drug the a pharmaceutical company was pushing. I have seen multiple women die from it, and a family member debilitated from it.
This is totally 3rd party, but my hair dresser was telling me that in her old salon a lot of the women started taking the weight loss drugs to lose weight fast so they didn't have to eat well or workout, and what ended up happening is they all started to have massive hair loss. Again, just 3rd party, so I am not here to say that this is true.

Weight loss surgery doesn't address the root cause and neither does dieting, which is why both have long term success rates that approach statistical insignificance. The drugs work by stimulating insulin production and reducing blood sugar levels which is why people lose so much weight, so as long as you're on it it should remain effective for weight loss (not a dr). We're slowly getting past the "blame fatty" attitude but as we've seen with other things that are too political to mention, it's going to take a generation or 2 to get there. I've never taken it nor do I know anyone who does, but I'm glad we're making progress. It has the potential to be life changing for so many people.

Not gonna get in to what I think about weight loss drugs as a whole, but to your point as an investment opportunity I would say yes it makes a lot of sense. 70% of US citizens are considered overweight. 42% of them are obese.

The US and New Zealand are the only 2 countries that allow direct-to-consumer advertising for prescription drugs. During commercial break you're pretty much guaranteed to see some new prescription drug in your face all day long. Big Pharma is constantly raking in billions bc their product is slammed down our throat everywhere in the US and more people are aware of it and willingly go to their doctor seeking it out. That does not happen in other countries

Add in the junk in our food and its a problem not going anyway any time soon

Weight loss surgery doesn't address the root cause and neither does dieting, which is why both have long term success rates that approach statistical insignificance. The drugs work by stimulating insulin production and reducing blood sugar levels which is why people lose so much weight, so as long as you're on it it should remain effective for weight loss (not a dr). We're slowly getting past the "blame fatty" attitude but as we've seen with other things that are too political to mention, it's going to take a generation or 2 to get there. I've never taken it nor do I know anyone who does, but I'm glad we're making progress. It has the potential to be life changing for so many people.
But that's the whole point, you just said as long as you are still on it. So you have to take it for the rest of your life, just like pain killers and cholesterol meds and diabetes meds. All bandaids, nothing addressing the core issue.

Not sure if mentioned but these drugs are for life from what I read up on. Once you stop then you will most likely gain the weight back.

Yup, that's what I have read too, because you didn't change the person or the habits.
That's another reason I didn't go with it. I'll just get back to my discipline and eating habits and lose weight

My doctor suggested Ozempic last March, mainly to get my A1C & blood sugar numbers down to a reasonable level; any weight loss was a bonus. 11 months later, and not only are my A1C/glucose levels much lower, I've also dropped 64 pounds - - today was the first time in at least 25 years I saw 200.0 on my scale! Since my goal is now primarily weight loss, I was switched over to Wegovy (weight loss specific version of Ozempic) earlier this month. Luckily, my insurance carrier covers a majority of the prescription cost, even for Wegovy. Last year it was fairly easy to get a prescription for Ozempic/Wegovy, but insurance requirements tightened up considerably starting Jan. 1st, which makes sense considering nationwide shortages and the medicine's cost.

As others have already mentioned, the problem with these drugs isn't the medicine itself, it's changing lifestyles so you aren't on the medicine forever! That's something I've been working on, and will have to work on for awhile. One of Blue Cross's requirements for a Wegovy prescription is to be on a structured weight loss program: it has helped with my mental approach to eating. I'm hesitant to stop taking Wegovy right away, mainly because I've read all of the stories about bounce-back weight gain upon stopping the medicine...my doctor and I will discuss that later on.

My doctor suggested Ozempic last March, mainly to get my A1C & blood sugar numbers down to a reasonable level; any weight loss was a bonus. 11 months later, and not only are my A1C/glucose levels much lower, I've also dropped 64 pounds - - today was the first time in at least 25 years I saw 200.0 on my scale! Since my goal is now primarily weight loss, I was switched over to Wegovy (weight loss specific version of Ozempic) earlier this month. Luckily, my insurance carrier covers a majority of the prescription cost, even for Wegovy. Last year it was fairly easy to get a prescription for Ozempic/Wegovy, but insurance requirements tightened up considerably starting Jan. 1st, which makes sense considering nationwide shortages and the medicine's cost.

As others have already mentioned, the problem with these drugs isn't the medicine itself, it's changing lifestyles so you aren't on the medicine forever! That's something I've been working on, and will have to work on for awhile. One of Blue Cross's requirements for a Wegovy prescription is to be on a structured weight loss program: it has helped with my mental approach to eating. I'm hesitant to stop taking Wegovy right away, mainly because I've read all of the stories about bounce-back weight gain upon stopping the medicine...my doctor and I will discuss that later on.
You have the right mindset though, and I think that is wonderful! You know it's more than just taking a pill, and you want to come off the pill so you don't have to take it for life.

I think weight loss drugs should be viewed as a "last resort" option. It is sad to see people take weight loss drugs without making a real effort to change their lifestyle. It's almost like using a cheat code instead of putting in real effort.

That being said, I've seen weight loss drugs like Ozempic work wonders for some friends. They are getting more popular and more socially acceptable, so I wouldn't be afraid to invest in companies that produce weight loss products.

Not to make light of anybody's situation, but can someone tell me which drug company is going all in on this?
I just want to make sure I buy their stock.

This is totally 3rd party, but my hair dresser was telling me that in her old salon a lot of the women started taking the weight loss drugs to lose weight fast so they didn't have to eat well or workout, and what ended up happening is they all started to have massive hair loss. Again, just 3rd party, so I am not here to say that this is true.
Well this is a side effect. Especially for women because not getting correct vitamins and the hair goes first. My mom and sister are beauticians and talk about this all the time. My mom does recommend hair essentials from Amazon. She recommended it to me, I found that offensive. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My wife and I have discussions about this. Because I intermittent fast daily. Lost approx. 60 pounds. My thing is, if I can stop feeding my face for 21 hours a day, anyone can. It all about having self control. My wifes argument is she HAS to eat. Now I am making her sound overweight. She is not, but she would like to be at high school weight which is another 15 pounds. But she has stalled also doing her own thing.

BUT....and this is true, men giving women dieting advice, and vice versa is probably not a good thing. I think women have a harder time. At least my wife does. For example over Christmas she gained 6-7 pounds, I gained none, and we ate the same food for the most part. In fact I was probably worse than her. So just from that angle she can have a "bad" meal, or a few days of bad meals and immediately gain weight from it.

Not to make light of anybody's situation, but can someone tell me which drug company is going all in on this?
Ozempic/Wegovy are from Novo Nordisk, Eli Lilly makes Mounjaro/Zepbound.

Well this is a side effect. Especially for women because not getting correct vitamins and the hair goes first. My mom and sister are beauticians and talk about this all the time. My mom does recommend hair essentials from Amazon. She recommended it to me, I found that offensive. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My wife and I have discussions about this. Because I intermittent fast daily. Lost approx. 60 pounds. My thing is, if I can stop feeding my face for 21 hours a day, anyone can. It all about having self control. My wifes argument is she HAS to eat. Now I am making her sound overweight. She is not, but she would like to be at high school weight which is another 15 pounds. But she has stalled also doing her own thing.

BUT....and this is true, men giving women dieting advice, and vice versa is probably not a good thing. I think women have a harder time. At least my wife does. For example over Christmas she gained 6-7 pounds, I gained none, and we ate the same food for the most part. In fact I was probably worse than her. So just from that angle she can have a "bad" meal, or a few days of bad meals and immediately gain weight from it.
The lack of vitamins makes sense.

Oh yeah, men and women are VERY different when it comes to weight loss and weight gain. I won't get into the details because I could write a novel on it, but it's very accurate that you and your wife would eat the same thing and she would gain weight and you would not, and it will take you a week of just cutting out 1 "bad" thing to get back to weight, and it will take her a month.

Lilly and Novo

edit...not investment advice

Okay great, I am fairly involved with $LLY in my portfolio now

Not sure if mentioned but these drugs are for life from what I read up on. Once you stop then you will most likely gain the weight back.
100% this. just like any new fad diet. Lots of early success and initial results but eventually hit a plateau. Once you stop doing that, everything comes back with a vengeance

My uncle about 15 years ago lost around 80lbs doing an all juice diet. Hes since put on at least 150+ lbs.

Lifestyles need to change and we need to watch and actually pay attention to what we eat. Drugs and lifestyle will not change that

Okay great, I am fairly involved with $LLY in my portfolio now
Also several ETFs with heavy weightings on both

But that's the whole point, you just said as long as you are still on it. So you have to take it for the rest of your life, just like pain killers and cholesterol meds and diabetes meds. All bandaids, nothing addressing the core issue.

It is addressing the core issue which is why you have to stay on it. It's a treatment, not a cure, which is no different than many lifetime drugs like those that treat schizophrenia, ALS, psoriasis, arthritis, crohn's disease, asthma, osteoporosis, etc.

It is addressing the core issue which is why you have to stay on it. It's a treatment, not a cure, which is no different than many lifetime drugs like those that treat schizophrenia, ALS, psoriasis, arthritis, crohn's disease, asthma, osteoporosis, etc.
I just don't see it that way. It's not addressing the issue, it's putting a bandaid on bad habits. The core issue is how you got there in the first place, fix that and a lot of the other issues go away. These meds aren't addressing that, unless a person uses it as just a tool in their arsenal to a better lifestyle. Which goes back to the statement of only 5% of people who get weight loss surgery actually keep the weight off. That is just a tool also.

The lack of vitamins makes sense.

Oh yeah, men and women are VERY different when it comes to weight loss and weight gain. I won't get into the details because I could write a novel on it, but it's very accurate that you and your wife would eat the same thing and she would gain weight and you would not, and it will take you a week of just cutting out 1 "bad" thing to get back to weight, and it will take her a month.
Yeah I learned to listen and be supportive than giving advice on what to do.

For example she had to go to a conference. And it was over 4 days, so she flew twice cross country in I think 5 days. Gained weight and never changed her diet. Did not drink more. no sweets. And I'm like.....well that airplane made you retain water. Its crazy how cabin pressure can really mess you up.

Yeah I learned to listen and be supportive than giving advice on what to do.

For example she had to go to a conference. And it was over 4 days, so she flew twice cross country in I think 5 days. Gained weight and never changed her diet. Did not drink more. no sweets. And I'm like.....well that airplane made you retain water. Its crazy how cabin pressure can really mess you up.
Here is a fun fact for you, stats show people don't "use the bathroom" as often, if at all, while away from home. Usually vacations, work trips, whatever it is, so weight gain could just be a backup. Yup, I went there haha.

Back