Went to a huge outdoor demo event. My 3 cents

OrangeCrush72

Reaction score
Handicap
Every year I look forward to the outdoor demo event at the Golf-Ski Warehouse in Hudson NH. They guys who work there are all solid guys and they are one of the few shops with an outdoor range for you to use.

So Here is my report. There are some real winners and some........yeah lets say not winners. The tough part was it was VERY windy today going left to right across the range.

DRIVERS

I did not hit all the drivers out there, I really wanted to focus on newer clubs that I was not familiar with. I know I love Titleist, I know TM drivers and I get along like I did with my ex-wife and so here is what I found.

PING: #1 the van guy Spencer AWESOME kid!!! I had started at Ping really wanting to only test the Anser 4wd and hybrids but we got into drivers.

Anser 8.5* with Ahina 73x Was hitting bullets with this one but the spin was way too low. I asked about the 9.5* but he felt I had such a high launch based off the 4wd he watched me hit.

G25 8.5* with GD AD7x. I was NEVER a GD shaft fan but DAMMM I liked this one! I was really shocked I could handle x flex. My s/s is 105 +/- but I really load the shaft. I hit 7-10 balls and VERY impressed with it!!!!!!!

CALLAWAY: My 1st real chance to hit all the new woods. Same as Ping the Van kid was AWESOME!

9.5* XHot Pro and I didn't get along at all. Was all over the place with it.

9.5* Xhot with PX6.0 PRO shaft. I REALLY liked the look and the visual ball flight I got. We jumped on the Trackman. Consistent 103 s/s upper 140 B/S. now the funny part... 19* L/A 2100 spin, did manage to get it down to 17* L/A with 1950 spin. Visually I liked what I saw. The tech wanted to get the ball flight down so he broke out a 8.5* RFE.

8.5* RFE OPEN setting. with Aldila Trinity 65x. Didn't like the shaft at all. Threw in the Ozik 7M3 X flex. Shaft is stout so I didn't think I could handle it. Was hitting cannon shots with that. I would play that as a tipped S Flex.

9.5* RFE, I can't remember the shaft it was a Black 65gr...I am on the Cally site now and can't place the graphics. MIGHT have been the KURO shaft. The Trackman started to act up but I visually liked the ball flight alot!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tour Edge Exotics. XCG6 GREAT head but the stock shafts SUUUUUUUUUCK. Will revisit them.

FAIRWAY WOODS:

Ping: Anser 16.5* 4 wood with X flex Anser shaft. NEVER a fan of propietary shafts but in X flex was very tight. I LOVED this setup....LOVED it!! This is a MUST TRY for anyone!!!!!!!!!!

TEE XCG6 16.5* 4 wood. see driver ...shafts SUCKKKKKK!!

Callaway 3 DEEP. I only got to hit the 13* and I was shocked how much I like the ball flight. I was expecting much lower. Looks AWESOME at address.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IRON STYLE UTILITIES

Mizuno H4: To be honest never liked them but DAMMMM they are soo easy to hit. I was hitting 21* off the deck, off a mat, off the tee. Solid 3i replacement.

Cally X Utility. NOT a fan at all!

Cleveland 588MT: This is my #2 shock of the show! You guys GOTTA try this iron! I was hitting the 3 iron 19* with a REG FLEX (Didn't see that). On their flightscope I was getting 134-139 ball speed and 220 carry!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HYBRIDS

Ping Anser 17*........AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. I was getting exactly the ball flight I would want and VERY easy to hit off the deck!

Titleist 913H 17*, easy to elevate. 913HD 20*. I didn't care for the head, its small and very dead feeling.

TEE XCG6....I tried the 19 & 22*. These are true iron replacements not jacked up hyper long ones.

Adams: Like in Chisag's review. I am giving the Super LS XTD the winner winner chicken dinner award (and the Super S.....yeah...you are the ugly step sister award!). I wanted to test the 19* LS and the 22* SS. I started smoking the LS, the Adams rep is now watching me and he was dropping the WHOOOOOOOOOA. My guess if the 19* XTD was as long if not past my 16* PRO. I hit 12-14 balls one after another BOOM BOOM BOOOM. I said that this club would be a solid 240 club for me but what about the 17* XTD. Same thing BOOOOOOOOOOOM. I could play this instead of a 3 wood. I was reaching spots on the range fighting a cross wind that my 3 wood would take me too. I really liked the KURO shaft too!

So the rep says....wait here. Comes back with the new Proto 9031 18*. That is AWESOME !!!!! Its not the hyper long like the XTD is but I could play this in the 20/23 as true iron replacements.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IRONS:

I have hit everything that is out already so I only hit a couple sets.

MP-64, LOOOOOVE those. I even was hitting the 5i comfortably.

825PRO...I could cheat on the 64's with these but I was hitting them with KBS and Program 130's. The wind was showing the 130's downfall and they felt way too light.

XHot PRO:....ehhhhh not liking them as much as I would have hoped.

Adams CMB.....LOVED their turf interaction, this was the 1st time off the grass for me and I LOVED how they slid thru the grass!!

Ping Anser....really wanted to focus on the 4i to see if I hooked them due to their offset. Those are SWEEEET irons!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't hit any wedges or putters. I was there for 3.5 hrs and my back was on fire. Its still early in the season for us in New England!

Good stuff. Glad you had a good time.

Very cool, that was a good read. Liked the thoughts on the 3 DEEP and glad you enjoyed the MT, hearing a lot about that one!

Great write up. Really enjoyed hearing your thoughts.

Great write-up.

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing. The TM driver comment is hilarious -- but I would swing an R1 if you can. I did not mesh at all with the R11 or R11s (or RBZ for that matter), but I have really enjoyed the R1.

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing. The TM driver comment is hilarious -- but I would swing an R1 if you can. I did not mesh at all with the R11 or R11s (or RBZ for that matter), but I have really enjoyed the R1.

My thoughts exactly. The R1 was a huge improvement over the R11s IMO.

Well I was reading about the MT iron on here as a great option for a utility iron so I wanted to check it out. While the H4 might be prettier, the MT was a very good option. I spent some time talking to the Cleveland rep about it. He was talking about that a good # of PGA players are using them as long iron options. He said Beljan has 2-3-4 in his bag.

I have owned/tried every TM driver since the Burner of 1996! My swing and deep faced driver don't mesh very well. I had a 425TP that when you hit it on the screws was SOOO long but it was just hard for me to hit well. I like lower profile/wider face like Titleist drivers which I hit the best.

Great read and thoughts!! Im really glad to hear you liked the 3 Deep and MTs

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing this!

I have to say this is so far best review ever. thank you

That was a good read OC. Sounds like a fun day to me.

Glad you got some good testing in. Sounds like you found some clubs that could really help your game.

Sounds like you had a great time.
i hit the Mizuno H4 last weekend, I also liked how easy they were to hit.

Back