What’s the weakest part of your game?!? All handicaps

chipping, pitching and sand. i'm hoping 2018 is the year i get it figured out. driving and iron play is decent, but a missed green is a bogey or worse.

I have three of your old wedges. I see the wear patterns on each of them. You almost wore a HOLE in the face each of them!! Hahaha!!

inconsistent iron play. it kills me several times a round

What's your miss? I don't know off hand but if I where you I would try hitting one more club then you normally do an swing about 80% this will allow you to keep your body in better control along with keeping your core still through the shot, Stay as still as possible and try not to sway so that you can hit the same spot more consistent. I would also say to make sure that when you swing thru the ball that you make it a point to sync your swing and hips up so that your belt buckle is pointing at the hole when your done swinging. I play a knock down shot about 80-90% percent of the time these days, just so much better control and both distance and side to side. If you want to hit that play it a slightly more to the middle or back and keep your hands low all the way thru impact..its a nice way to control your ball, and your swing. =)

Mine is all inside 100 yards. Get me an iron in hand and I can do well, but give me a wedge and I can't perform.

Whats different about the swing? Whats your miss? If you can figure this out your handicap will drop considerably, if your a 10 and this is your main issue then the rest of your game sounds pretty solid. Also, do you do this with your pitching wedge to? Or I guess I should ask at which club do you start seeing this problem?

if I had to guesstimate, I'd say I am losing 1-3 strokes off the tee, maybe 3-4 with irons, 1-2 with short games and 5-6 putting. so yeah, I need to work on putting

Putting. I lifetime of troubles. It is a little better suing AimPoint, but I still have to stroke the putter. I've been trying to get better for years. Putting has always held me back from good scoring.

Whats different about the swing? Whats your miss? If you can figure this out your handicap will drop considerably, if your a 10 and this is your main issue then the rest of your game sounds pretty solid. Also, do you do this with your pitching wedge to? Or I guess I should ask at which club do you start seeing this problem?

Everything is different about the swing being partial shots and I think about it way too much, often leading to me doing too much and ruining the shot. I tend to use my 54* inside 50 yards and AW between 50-80 yards. When I practice or play consistently, its not as much of an issue; but if I am playing once a week or even twice a month, the feel/partial shots are the first to go. I truthfully would rather play when I have the chance than practice, so I have just learned to live with it and try and hit as many greens as possible and putt where I can.

Just overall decision making... specifically hitting low percentage shots that I have no business attempting. It's funny, I usually play better at target style courses that force your hand (ie 4iron off of the tee) instead of courses with a lot of risk/reward options.

I struggle with the same thing. I hit the ball really far and sometime thats a curse because I think that I can over power any hole, and have a short iron in my hand, So as a result I tend to have rounds with a lot of birdies and a lot of bogies. I may only have 4-5 bogey free rounds a year. Lately I have been making my self it a 2 iron of the tee on any tee that is 420 yards or shorter, not because I have driver problems but to help me learn to hit the ball to yardages that I'm comfortable with, Its been working pretty well. Im now realizing that having 160-170 yards into a green is nota bad thing. I'm also working on hitting the middle of the green with my irons on holes I don't expect to birdie, this has actually resulted in me hitting the ball closer to the hole not trying too. Who would have thought that?!? LOL Pars are up bogey down by about 1-2 per round, It's a good start I think. I have shot several score in the high 60s this year that normally would have been in the Low 70s.

Putting. I lifetime of troubles. It is a little better suing AimPoint, but I still have to stroke the putter. I've been trying to get better for years. Putting has always held me back from good scoring.

Whats your miss? do you putt the ball way by the hole. Or short a lot?

long irons and my sand play

I'm one who generally thinks all areas of my game have room for improvement. But I'd have to say driving distance is the thing holding me back the most. I top out around 250-260 yards under normal conditions, so I'm long enough. But at 60+ I'm not going to see much distance improvement, especially since my numbers for things like launch angle and smash factor are pretty maxed out, and I've been working out and eating right for years.

250-260 will definitely get the job done, Don't believe me ask Corey Pavin LOL Its great you work out and eat right. That will have lasting benefits other then golf!

long irons and my sand play

First off How do you like them AP3s and What type of miss do you see with your long irons and with your sand play?

Mostly staying healthy. Having foot and knee injuries that contribute to back pain which makes it hard to stay in shape. And tied to all that is long irons and my inconsistency there.

The biggest issue? Tee game. My friends call me "Mr. 150" because I don't often hit any club over that yardage. It's been getting slightly better this year, but, if I crack 200 on a drive, it's time to party. Hell, who am I kidding? I don't hit ANY club with ANY distance.

Easily greenside bunker play for me.

First off How do you like them AP3s and What type of miss do you see with your long irons and with your sand play?

I love the AP3's (only have about 5 rounds in with them), I just came out of 2014 Apex's and the Titleist long irons are considerably more forgiving. My miss with my irons are always toe side of center, in the sand its more commitment, I know how to play the shot but not fully committing I de-cel or thin it. And there are days/rounds Im solid out of the sand (like last Sunday)

Putting.. when I find fair way and hit a decent iron shot, it's occasionally a 3 putt for bogey.

If driver sucks, my recovery shot is usually pretty good, up over trees or a punch and run. Just can't put it all together

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Playing a cut with my hybrids.

Last year it was accuracy off of the tee that killed me

Easy, long approaches, I don't get many GIR because of it, anything over 150 and I'm green side probably 80%.

But that should change this year, I've spent a ton of time at the range working on longer play this off season, I've been hitting the 170 and 200 yd flags much more consistently, I can't wait for this crap weather to clear so I can see if all this hard work will pay off!

LOL. I HATE Bramuda! Let me ask you. How much bounce do you have on your wedges? Higher bounce helps with that type of rough... I think is best to play that type of shot with the ball a bit forward. And the angle of attack must be descending like in a sand bunker just with out the completely open face.. all tho a slightly open face won’t hurt anything. You need the ball to pop out of that grass quickly so both your club and the ball needs to have a quick Avenue out of the grass. And that’s straight upward..So hit down on it a bit more... and finish with your hands high..if you want the ball to picth up high you must not decelerate your swing. Open the face just slightly and keep your hands back just a bit. About even with the ball.. (don’t let your hands get back in front of the club) and excelerate throught the ball.that doesn’t mean kill it. Lol. It just means never slow the club down thru impact...the loft of the club will get it the air but your excelling thru the ball will get it to your target. Playing it on your front foot will get you the higher all flight. Those high chips and pitches are one of my favorite shot. Hope it helps you some!
Thanks doc, it's sure to help.

I play PM Grind wedges 56/13 and 60/10.

These wedges are single-handedly responsible for my being respectable in getting the ball out consistently. I'd been struggling terribly previously with my long played Trusty Rusties and then RTX 2.0s.

My issue is breaking my personal forever technique. Because I play the ball center to slightly back of center during normal play and tend to trap the ball some, moving it forward in my stance leads to some anxiety.

Back north, it was no big deal as I'd play the ball middle on lofted chips and short pitches, open the face up some, and muscle through the rough while holding the face open. It was always met with a high floater and little roll-out.

At the range though, I never had much problem playing the ball forward with LW, with much the technique that you highlighted, and toying around with excessively high shots. Translation to the course with that specific technique was spotty but I could pull it off back then.

But I think the bermuda rough here and my early failures has triggered more tension wrt my approach. I've been enjoying better results last season into this, so the confidence is growing, just hafta keep at it.

Thanks!

The biggest issue? Tee game. My friends call me "Mr. 150" because I don't often hit any club over that yardage. It's been getting slightly better this year, but, if I crack 200 on a drive, it's time to party. Hell, who am I kidding? I don't hit ANY club with ANY distance.

You and I should work on our distance issues together. I have never been a long hitter. My game has always been made up in scrambling. It wasn't an issue until, back in Feb, I played an amateur tournament at TPC San Antonio from the tips which were set up for the Texas Open. 7340 yards really bit me in the ass.

I've been really focused on gaining distance now. I was fit for new shafts for more penetrating ball flight, and now I'm practicing generating more club head speed for over an hour each day inside with my SSR.

I took it to the range today as was able to carry over a lot of my indoor swings to outside. I'm starting to feel a little bit better about this.

When I was fit at CC, my average swing speed with my driver was about 90mph. Today at the range I was all over the place from 96-108. And one monster that seemed to fly for miles.

41190922362_cc99df7f44_c.jpg

I'm terrible out of a greenside bunker.

Driver/tee game for me all day long. So sick of leaving par at the tee box due to errant drives.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think my worst is greenside bunker shots. I constantly misread green speeds and send it sailing 10+ yards past the green, or don't catch enough sand with my point of impact and smash it out of bounds. Close 2nd is probably the inconsistency off the tee with a driver. My hybrid/wedge shots are money in terms of contact and direction, but not having my distances dialed in or understanding ball flight gives me an issue there as well. I honestly can't say i'm "good" at any part of my game yet, being new to it.

Putting. Definitely the spot on the course where I basically give up strokes

Back