What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

I found a few Tour BX balls in my closet and have been pretty impressed with the performance. It seems to do everything well for my game.

Posted the other day, Wednesday evening played 18 with a Callaway Warbird. Not only I kept the ball in play for 18 but shot season low 85 including a 38 back 9. Ball does nothing particularly well but it was a short course so distance wasn't an issue, greens were soft, so back spin neither...

I have played the yellow pro v1 most of the season so far. Pulled out a sleeve of Bridgestone Tour B X, my gamer from last year. Oh yeah, I like that ball. It has giddy up with driver, and I can feel the "grip" on the cover with wedges and chips. Playing another competition on Monday. B X is getting the call.

I gamed the matte green Srixon Soft Feel today. It is my second favorite ball so I had no issues with it. Didn’t lose any either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to put new balls in my bag last round and found an old sleeve of TaylorMade Project (a) balls. They were actually really nice! Soft enough for my liking, but also travelled with little spin! Great sounding off the clubs, and I felt like I had good green side control. Remembered why I used to like them.

Burned through my e12 contacts (great ball) so put a Saint Nine U Pro into play. 2 piece urethane cover in shiny yellow. Niche ball I think, I can’t recall anything similar since the e5. For me, it wasn’t soft or a rock. Nice middle of the road feel. Pretty straight, good distance, and decent green side spin. Nice putter feet too. Only a few holes in but so far a decent ball at a reasonable price.

I'm really struggling with ball selection. I'm 71, have a 10.5 index and don't hit it that far off the tee (185 to 215). i recently changed to the Titleist AVX to get more yards off the tee. However, my short game and putting has suffered. My last few rounds have been in the mid to high 80s. I shot 76 a month ago with a ProV1 and one of our assistants who knows my game said I should be playing the ProV1X. I'm so confused now. For me to score low I have to chip and putt well. I know I'm playing tees that are probably too long ( 6250 ) but that's where my group wants to play. I'm thinking I need to quit worrying about my tee ball and focus on getting it in the hole with good chips and putts. I plan to play the "x" for my next round and see if that helps. However, any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Continued with the e12 Contact experiment yesterday with mixed but definitive results.

Big thumbs up for the ball - tee to green playability, feel, and durability. I don't know that the Supersoft isn't a little longer, but a good swing gets me in the 230-235 range off the tee, and I can live with that. Excellent feel around the greens. Maximizes the results given my swing.

Big thumbs down on the matte red. I thought it would have excellent all-weather visibility, but it didn't. The day started out sunny and turned completely cloudy. It was OK in a clear sky, not as good as expected against a cloudly sky, and, quite franlkly, tough to pick up against the grass. Four of us watched an approach shot miss right and roll towards a tree. We looked for almost five minutes and never found it. Four of us watched a hybrid tee shot and none of us were able to pick it up after it came below the horizon. If both cases, two of the observers were under thirty. So a yellow ball - e12 Contact, Supersoft, or AVX - is a better color choice for me. I think a white ball would work better for me than the matte red.

I'm really struggling with ball selection. I'm 71, have a 10.5 index and don't hit it that far off the tee (185 to 215). i recently changed to the Titleist AVX to get more yards off the tee. However, my short game and putting has suffered. My last few rounds have been in the mid to high 80s. I shot 76 a month ago with a ProV1 and one of our assistants who knows my game said I should be playing the ProV1X. I'm so confused now. For me to score low I have to chip and putt well. I know I'm playing tees that are probably too long ( 6250 ) but that's where my group wants to play. I'm thinking I need to quit worrying about my tee ball and focus on getting it in the hole with good chips and putts. I plan to play the "x" for my next round and see if that helps. However, any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Based on all the above, I strongly recommend the Pro V1x - especially when you adjust to its feel with chips and putts.

I continued my experiment with Vice Pros today in neon. Absolutely love the color. Distance is fine. Problem I experienced today is the runout with the wedges. I had numerous full wedge shots from the fairway and rough. I had lots of runout as much as 20 feet from a gap wedge. Nothing is more frustrating that hitting your number and having 15-20 of rollout from a gap wedge. I’m not necessarily a high spin person, but with other players balls my shots would stay within a yard of my ball mark. I don’t think I will buy more of these after this dozen.

Continued with the e12 Contact experiment yesterday with mixed but definitive results.

Big thumbs up for the ball - tee to green playability, feel, and durability. I don't know that the Supersoft isn't a little longer, but a good swing gets me in the 230-235 range off the tee, and I can live with that. Excellent feel around the greens. Maximizes the results given my swing.

Big thumbs down on the matte red. I thought it would have excellent all-weather visibility, but it didn't. The day started out sunny and turned completely cloudy. It was OK in a clear sky, not as good as expected against a cloudly sky, and, quite franlkly, tough to pick up against the grass. Four of us watched an approach shot miss right and roll towards a tree. We looked for almost five minutes and never found it. Four of us watched a hybrid tee shot and none of us were able to pick it up after it came below the horizon. If both cases, two of the observers were under thirty. So a yellow ball - e12 Contact, Supersoft, or AVX - is a better color choice for me. I think a white ball would work better for me than the matte red.
I've been playing the matte green and really like the visibility, they stand out almost like neon in the grass. It's easy to track in the air and easy to find on the ground. I've never played the red ones, but one of the guys in my regular group played them for a while - I could see them real well in the air, but lost them immediately once they got on the ground, and they were harder to find than white or yellow/green balls.

I continue to be amazed by how straight the e12 Contact flies. Sure, I can put a big bend on one with a bad swing, but when they're struck even halfway decently they'll stay straight and give you a good flight. Not a good thing if you're somebody who likes to work the ball a lot, but for those of us who are more, shall we say, directionally challenged, it's a big help for keeping the ball in play and minimizing your misses. I lose a lot less balls playing these - so much so that the durability actually becomes a factor. Fortunately, it's also very good.

Z star divide. Played a par three scramble with my daughter today. This ball is fantastic period. It rolls will I’m on greens stops FAST on decent shots into the green send to chip well. I’ve only hit driver 3 or so times with it so can’t comment further. My daughter does not generate as much spin but her shots performed very well also.

I’d play and but this back going forward without hesitation. Oh, it’s also fun to use.

Bridgestone B XS, or Mizuno RBTour X. All the distance, and all the greenside spin.

V1X is also a great choice. For what you want.

Z star divide. Played a par three scramble with my daughter today. This ball is fantastic period. It rolls will I’m on greens stops FAST on decent shots into the green send to chip well. I’ve only hit driver 3 or so times with it so can’t comment further. My daughter does not generate as much spin but her shots performed very well also.

I’d play and but this back going forward without hesitation. Oh, it’s also fun to use.
Where did you get a ZStar Divide?

Tour B XS. Long with good spin and feel on putts. It does everything I can ask from a ball.

I've been playing the matte green and really like the visibility, they stand out almost like neon in the grass. It's easy to track in the air and easy to find on the ground. I've never played the red ones, but one of the guys in my regular group played them for a while - I could see them real well in the air, but lost them immediately once they got on the ground, and they were harder to find than white or yellow/green balls.

I may be having a George Costanza thing happening here. I thought the matte red would be great. It was bad. I think the matte green would be bad. Will probably have to check this out.

I may be having a George Costanza thing happening here. I thought the matte red would be great. It was bad. I think the matte green would be bad. Will probably have to check this out.
The matte green is close to what other ball manufacturers call "optic yellow" - it's just a tad more lime green tinged.

TP5 has really settled in as my go to ball. CS is a close second. Both a really good from tee to green. Both feel great on the green. Difference for me is on my misses. CS just misses by more than the TP5. It’s mainly off the driver and 3W. I prefer the Pix as it’s easier to distinguish my ball. I have not had any durability issues at all.

Still playing the Cut Grey. Going on 2 1/2 rounds without losing it.

I tried the costco taylormade softselect yesterday. Tried saving money and it was not good. They felt like hitting a rock and lost 10-15 yards of carry on the 8 and nine irons. Basically had to club up for all normal shots

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
still playing the cut blue...next week, i'll move to the TP5X...i think :cautious::LOL:...i still have some AVX and PV1X that i enjoy playing as well.

Played Z-Star 6 on Saturday and 2021 V1/2019V1X on Sunday.
The thing that stands out to me was how well the Z-Star checked up on wedge shots that the ProV1 didn't.
You get spoiled when you have start seeing it all the time.
Going to put XV V6 into play tonight as I've got some to "Burn" off on an upcoming Guys trip and want to get used to the ball...

Last edited:
I played a few balls on Saturday (lost a few...):
Kirkland - I like these, they perform well and while they are a bit clicky off the putter, play soft elsewhere.
Pro V1 - Soft, just as you'd expect
Q-Star Tour Divide - I like these as well, a bit harder but I get a real kick out of playing these balls
A group stole my ball from between two fairways and replaced mine with a Tommy Armour (he threw it back at me from his cart) - this was like hitting an actual rock. I hit one drive with it as a sacrificial ball to the water gods and my finger went numb and felt like it was vibrating. Surprised it didn't cave my driver face in.
Vice Pro Orange - LOVE this ball.

Interesting observation: My 58 degree wedge has Callaway's Mack Daddy grooves circa 2009 which absolutely shred every ball they touch. Interestingly - the Q-Star Tour Divide is the only one of the balls listed above that did not end up with chunks in the grooves of my club. It had actual groove (teeth) marks on the cover, but didn't receive a haircut and have dangly bits like all the rest.

Back