What club design technology do you NOT believe in?

The Sim2 Max 7i is 28.5 degrees and 37.25 inches long
My Fluid Feel 7i is 39 degrees and 36.25 inches long

All else being equal with solid impact, I’d bet that you hit that Sim2 Max 7i almost 3 clubs longer than the Fluid Feel 7i, which you should be. That’s what they’re selling. The difference in spin would be shocking as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Fluid Feel 7i had close to twice the spin.
If loft is the only thing that mattered, the spin would be identical. Clearly it’s not (y)

I love that this thread has done exactly what I expected it to. 🤣
You were right (unfortunately).
JK, but if I seriously thought lofts would, or should be dialed back, I'd probably patent bucket hat safety helmets and steel toe golf shoes.

If loft is the only thing that mattered, the spin would be identical. Clearly it’s not (y)

Except the lofts aren’t identical, they’re 11 degrees apart. I don’t think anyone is arguing that a 39 degree club would or should have the same spin as a 28 degree club even if we insist on calling both of them 7 irons. That’s kinda the point.

• WTF
Reactions: JB
Except the lofts aren’t identical, they’re 11 degrees apart. I don’t think anyone is arguing that a 39 degree club would or should have the same spin as a 28 degree club even if we insist on calling both of them 7 irons. That’s kinda the point.
You missed my point. If loft is the only thing that mattered, all 9 degree drivers would go further than all 10.5 drivers. All irons would launch at the exact same angle. They would spin the exact same. Loft for loft.

That doesn’t happen.

Nobody has ever said lofts aren’t important. They are very important. But to pretend that no design element matters at all, outside of it, is living in a bubble and diminishing a ton of work.

But good news, nobody is ever forced to buy anything, play irons from decades ago with lofts that one likes.

The loft/distance thing doesn’t undo my head at all. I couldn’t care less what the loft was or how far players hit a 7i in 1934 or 1972 compared to today. My modern car is a lot faster and more technologically advanced than cars back then were too, and there wasn’t even an internet to post on about golf clubs back then. What next, bring back plaid bell bottoms and baggy cotton polos? Time marches on.

I have a 150 club in my bag. Why should I care if that’s a 6 iron or a 9 iron, especially if it’s easier to hit and gives me better dispersion?

You missed my point. If loft is the only thing that mattered, all 9 degree drivers would go further than all 10.5 drivers. All irons would launch at the exact same angle. They would spin the exact same. Loft for loft.

That doesn’t happen.

Nobody has ever said lofts aren’t important. They are very important. But to pretend that no design element matters at all, outside of it, is living in a bubble and diminishing a ton of work.

But good news, nobody is ever forced to buy anything, play irons from decades ago with lofts that one likes.

I don’t think anyone’s arguing that no other design elements matter or that lofts are the only thing that mattered either. Those are your words. Mine were “The modern tech is helping for sure, but for the most part that's not what makes todays 8 iron as long as yesterday's 5 iron.”

But to try getting back on topic, I believe in pretty much all tech that I can think of, even Pureing. What I don’t believe in is how much many of the marketers claim a lot of the tech will actually effect your game.

The loft/distance thing doesn’t undo my head at all. I couldn’t care less what the loft was or how far players hit a 7i in 1934 or 1972 compared to today. My modern car is a lot faster and more technologically advanced than cars back then were too, and there wasn’t even an internet to post on about golf clubs back then. What next, bring back plaid bell bottoms and baggy cotton polos? Time marches on.

I have a 150 club in my bag. Why should I care if that’s a 6 iron or a 9 iron, especially if it’s easier to hit and gives me better dispersion?
The issue for me is that new irons are a once/decade event and while I don’t mind some relearning of my yardage every 10 years, it is a hassle to have to figure out if my old 3-PW equals new 4-AW or 5-GW...and then my Vokey 52/56/60 may or my not fall into place anymore.

How much time do you have? LOL If Im being honest, I probably would have to say that I dont believe in most modern technology. Top of the list is probably drivers with movable weights. Im not and have never been a believer that you can change your ballflight from a slice to a draw simply by moving some little weights on the bottom of a club.

The issue for me is that new irons are a once/decade event and while I don’t mind some relearning of my yardage every 10 years, it is a hassle to have to figure out if my old 3-PW equals new 4-AW or 5-GW...and then my Vokey 52/56/60 may or my not fall into place anymore.
Think about it from the manufacturers' perspective too: they can sell you a new set of irons, a new set of wedges and talk you into buying 4 wedges instead of just 3.
In some ways its deceptive marketing too. "My new 8-iron goes 10 yards farther than my old one did." Of course it does because they basically took a 7-iron and stamped an, "8" on it instead. I only carry a half set of clubs and I used to carry 5/7/9 for my irons. When I got my JPX EZs, I bought a 6/9/PW instead and they play pretty much just like my old irons did.

Think about it from the manufacturers' perspective too: they can sell you a new set of irons, a new set of wedges and talk you into buying 4 wedges instead of just 3.
In some ways its deceptive marketing too. "My new 8-iron goes 10 yards farther than my old one did." Of course it does because they basically took a 7-iron and stamped an, "8" on it instead. I only carry a half set of clubs and I used to carry 5/7/9 for my irons. When I got my JPX EZs, I bought a 6/9/PW instead and they play pretty much just like my old irons did.
I get that, but at some point we'll be carrying 8 (aka long iron), 9. PW, AW, GW1, GW2,SW, LW, 5H. 6H, 7H, 8H, Driver, and putter

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I get that, but at some point we'll be carrying 8 (aka long iron), 9. PW, AW, GW1, GW2,SW, LW, 5H. 6H, 7H, 8H, Driver, and putter

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
You know, I’ve read this here on THP for 13 years now, and it STILL hasn’t happened.

You know, I’ve read this here on THP for 13 years now, and it STILL hasn’t happened.
And even if it ever does, who cares? The number on the sole of a club is just a number. I don’t care if it’s my GW2 or 9i that goes 130 yards. If it bothered me that much I’d grind the numbers off the bottom of my clubs and write in what I wanted to see with a sharpie. Or go buy a set of 1973 irons if I hated new tech that much. They’d go great with my pleated khakis, striped cotton polo and wingtip golf shoes with kilties.

Last edited:
And even if it ever does, who cares? The number on the sole of a club is just a number. I don’t care if it’s my GW2 or 9i that goes 130 yards. If it bothered me that much I’d grind the numbers off the bottom of my clubs and write in what I wanted to see with a sharpie. Or go buy a set of 1973 irons if I hated new tech that much. They’d go great with my pleated khakis, striped cotton polo and wingtip golf shoes with kilties.
I need to go chase some kids off my lawn with my 2-iron.

I realized at the range tonight that the laminated yardage card I used with my 90's era clubs is now right again with my 35 years older swing and modern clubs so maybe it's not all bad.

Apparently we haven't looked at the G30's with five wedges or the Titleist T400's. I'm sure most of the manufacturers have similar clubs.

Apparently we haven't looked at the G30's with five wedges or the Titleist T400's. I'm sure most of the manufacturers have similar clubs.
And none of them make anyone play all of the wedges. Crazy, right?

Reactions: Ooo

I didn't give one seconds thought to what the lofts were on my new irons Nor do I care to waste time thinking about such things.

I know it took me all of 1 range session to learn the distances of the new irons.

I didn't give one seconds thought to what the lofts were on my new irons Nor do I care to waste time thinking about such things.

I know it took me all of 1 range session to learn the distances of the new irons.
Yup, it takes very little time

I just want clubs with more forgiveness and the tech has absolutely helped that (when compared to clubs several years older).

I don’t know enough to call bs on any of the tech.

That said, when my swing is on, I can shoot my average score with 40 year old blades. When it’s off, all the tech in the world will only do so much.

As far as added distance, it makes little difference unless it means the same distance from an easier to hit club - which someone suggested is the case.

The truth to how valuable the tech is probably lies somewhere between “its only the jacked lofts” and “our longest, most forgiving irons ever”.

When I buy new clubs, I’m gullible enough to hope the newer tech will provide a slight amount of help, but cynical enough to not be too surprised when my lack of talent is still 99.9% of the issue. Basically, the reason I’m buying new clubs is because they’re shiney.

My swing makes me not believe in anything.

I just want clubs with more forgiveness and the tech has absolutely helped that (when compared to clubs several years older).

I don’t know enough to call bs on any of the tech.

That said, when my swing is on, I can shoot my average score with 40 year old blades. When it’s off, all the tech in the world will only do so much.

As far as added distance, it makes little difference unless it means the same distance from an easier to hit club - which someone suggested is the case.

The truth to how valuable the tech is probably lies somewhere between “its only the jacked lofts” and “our longest, most forgiving irons ever”.

When I buy new clubs, I’m gullible enough to hope the newer tech will provide a slight amount of help, but cynical enough to not be too surprised when my lack of talent is still 99.9% of the issue. Basically, the reason I’m buying new clubs is because they’re shiney.

This is so spot on for this conversation and blade conversations. My best score ever was with Ping Blueprints. I have no business playing that club, but my swing was the best it has ever been on that day. When I am struggling with my swing, my scores aren't gonna change much if I use my Zx7s, Epic Forged, or the Blueprints.

I will jump on the shaft puring bandwagon. "Puring" isn't even on my autocorrect.

I don't understand the performance putter shafts, so that's what I'll go with.

Golfers in their 60s, having played the game for 50 years, hitting modern irons as far as they did 30 years ago and saying there's no advancement in technology or design is amazing.

Back