What courses in Myrtle Beach are a must play?

Hermmj02

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm heading to Myrtle Beach in March. I'm looking for some input on what courses are a must play down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caledonia and True Blue down in Pawleys Island are up there from my point of view.

I'll be following along with this as a Myrtle trip is in the works for the next year.

I'm no Myrtle golf expert and have only played maybe 10 courses or so in the area. Out of what I've played, I like Barefoot the best followed by true blue and then the Dunes. Other courses I've played are mid and lower tier. True blue is a good introduction to Mike Strantz if you've never played any of his other courses.

Have fun!

Caledonia and True Blue down in Pawleys Island are up there from my point of view.
Two of the best courses I've ever played!

Another vote for Caledonia and True Blue......

Make it happen. Thank me later :)

JM

I would have to agree with True Blue and Caledonia. I would add Tidewater to the list but there is a haul of a drive between the courses. We played Blackmoor when I was there for the Preseason Classic last January and it was a really fun golf course. I think that I am going back in September and we are staying at Barefoot and playing there along with a couple other courses. If your around Barefoot and want some great wings trust me on Wild Wing Cafe and try the ranchalotta sauce. You wont be disappointed.

True Blue/Caledonia are at the top of the list, without a doubt.
Price is also factor here cause there's wide variety based on what you'd like your per round cost to be.
At the higher end, Dunes Golf and Beach Club, TPC Myrtle and Thistle are great.
Mid range - all the Myrtle Beach National courses are good layouts, with Kings North being Arnie's design.
Long Bay is wildly underpriced/underrated in my opinion. Last time I was there I think we paid $35 with a cart. Never had a bad experience there at all.

Additional courses for your consideration:
1. Long Bay (out of all of the ones I list, this is the one you MUST consider above all others IMO)
2. Founders Club
3. Myrtle Beach National - King's North
4. Myrtle Beach National - West Course
5. Prestwick

My favorites are True Blue, Barefoot Love/Fazio, Wild Wing Avocet, Caledonia, Tidewater, King's North, Legends Moorland, TPC, Tiger's Eye, Leopard's Chase, Dunes Golf & Beach Club.

Of the less pricey places, I love Long Bay and always enjoyed The Wizard.

When there for the MC a few guys went to a night par 3 course. Any one know the name of it?

+1 True Blue and Caledonia. Two great tracks. If you're further North I like the Big Cats at Ocean Ridge Plantation.

All of these suggestions are excellent, but I think it depends on where your group is staying. If your in North Myrtle or NC, you will want to play the courses on the north end (Grand Dunes, Barefoot, Tidewater, Long Bay...). If your staying in Central Myrtle or Pawley's, you will want to play the south end courses (Caldonia, TrueBlue, Litchfield, TPC...). The reason is, if you're staying in North Myrtle and want to play True Blue (40 miles or so), the drive there can take over 1.5 hours with heavy traffic and the traffic has become pretty bad almost year round.

My top 5 favorite clubs in the Myrtle area would be:
TrueBlue
Caldonia
Grand Dunes
Barefoot
Tidewater

Have fun and hit'em straight!

Headed to Myrtle tomorrow with some family for a week. Have rounds scheduled at Thistle Golf Club and Barefoot Fazio Course so far.

Any others I should try to check out? We are staying on the North end so Caledonia and some of the others down towards Pawley's are just too far as we don't want to be gone all day. I know Tidewater has come up a few times as well as the cat courses.

Headed to Myrtle tomorrow with some family for a week. Have rounds scheduled at Thistle Golf Club and Barefoot Fazio Course so far.

Any others I should try to check out? We are staying on the North end so Caledonia and some of the others down towards Pawley's are just too far as we don't want to be gone all day. I know Tidewater has come up a few times as well as the cat courses.

I’d go with TPC Myrtle Beach. Great practice facilities and the conditions are usually awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't agree more with the first two. But if your willing to take the very short trip up across the NC line, Rivers Edge Golf Club has always been a must play for our annual trip.

Just posted before I saw your post. Rivers Edge is ACES!!! and it's just over the line in NC. https://playriversedgegolf.com/

River's Edge is a great track to the north. Down south, Wachesaw Plantation, not Wachesaw East, is a fabulous layout and gets little play, if you can get on.

Call in advance, a lot of the courses down there got so beat up with the weather (winterkill) that due to their greens they had to close for an extended amount of time

LB44 and I played the Barefoot love course and it was even beat up in some spots (including 1 green that was unplayable), so might be worth a phone call in advance.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/golf/article213810149.html

Also if you need a condo rental in the future, look me up :)

Call in advance, a lot of the courses down there got so beat up with the weather (winterkill) that due to their greens they had to close for an extended amount of time

LB44 and I played the Barefoot love course and it was even beat up in some spots (including 1 green that was unplayable), so might be worth a phone call in advance.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/golf/article213810149.html

Also if you need a condo rental in the future, look me up :)

Really... ugh that stinks. We have the reservations already the places I mentioned but I don't know if he asked about the conditions, didn't realize it was that bad down there. Maybe I'll call when I get there tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up.

Really... ugh that stinks. We have the reservations already the places I mentioned but I don't know if he asked about the conditions, didn't realize it was that bad down there. Maybe I'll call when I get there tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up.

NP, the rest of the course (Love) was in great shape. There was also literally no one else out there (and we played on fathers day) so we were done pretty quickly which was good cause it was HOT.

And yeah when I made the reservation it wasnt mentioned at all, Ron happened to find that article right around go time.

Of the Myrtle Beach courses I’ve played, here’s how I’d rank them, based on possible 5 stars:
Prestwick - 4.5
Blackmoor - 4
The Witch - 4 (put bug spray in your bag if you play here, it’s basically on a swamp)
Whispering Pines -3.5
River Oaks - 3
Wicked Stick - no longer exists

North end, Tidewater would be a must-play for me.

Next, in no particular order, would be any of the Barefoot courses (Love is my favorite but I like them all), Leopard's Chase, Tiger's Eye.

I really enjoyed King's North, which isn't too far.

Back