What Draws You To Wedges?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We just recorded a WGP that will drop next week and this is more equipment focused as we talk about some new gear and some others including a business side of it.

Obviously this will make more sense post show, but my question is what draws you to wedges? Brand, tech, looks, etc? I don’t mean why do you buy them, I mean what draws you in to want to test them or buy them?

For me, I'm a Cleveland fan. I played my first Cleveland because of the company's history, but I keep them in the bag because of their continued performance and innovation. I've always enjoyed the overall look, and add in the V-Sole which is so good from the various lies you encounter while around the green, and it's a winner.

For me it's looks and tech first, and by looks I mean mostly the face/grooves, aggressive looking grooves really catch my attention. Tech can be a more forgiving design like the Cleveland's CBX2, or just sole and bounce variations. Brand is a consideration too, as I've yet to hit wedges that are as good for me as Cleveland, but I still like to try others just to see if I can find something as good or better.

I like a wedge with some technology. All the grinds and everything are great, but it always seemed odd to me that iron sets will be full of tungsten, cavities, dampening materials, speed goo, etc., then you're basically playing a blade in the wedge spot. Give me all the added forgiveness you can squeeze in.

RAW. I added a raw face wedge to the bag and now I can’t get enough.

The shape is the first thing I notice. After that, I look for full face grooves and grinds.

some kind of forgiveness strategy for toe side hits.

Raw is a big one too

Look/shape, feel/sound. Brand has been playing a huge role in that, but more so because I know the two brands I typically play offer the look and feel I want.

Price.

Blade wedges are kind of all the same to me. I have played wedges from a few companies and none of them have stood out as being different than any others.

Forging is the first thing. Versatility of the sole is another. Also, they must not be very reflective. Shiny chrome on either side of the grooves or on the top line makes it a no go for me.

Tech/forgiveness. That's what immediately drew me to the original CBX and now the CBX 2. Prior to that I was like "eh whatever loft that I need that's the lowest price".

Brand definitely plays a role, finish of the wedge and tech also. Usually lean towards Cleveland but the moveable weights in the edel wedges have me intrigued.

Raw finishes, full-face grooves, and tech.

Looks then bounce/grinds.

This forum talked me into my first Cleveland CBX2, and the great results had me buy 2 more (1 for my wife). Still need to replace my SW, and it will almost surely be a CBX2 56°.

Forgiveness is first. Versatility, technolgy, options are next.

Before it was always price for me. I wanted the cheapest option. Now I'm drawn to the Edison wedges due to the forgiveness they provide.

I like a classic blade style wedge with a straighter leading edge at address. I don't carry anything higher than 56° and I don't really open the face more than a a few degrees, so I like something that will impart a lot of spin, as well. I'm also averse to changing wedges, so the ones I'm playing are probably past due for updating, but I am used to how the ball reacts off of them.

Looks

For me it is looks/tech and the reports I hear about performance.

looks, grooves, and weight. If I pass a wedge and it looks sexy, I'll look at the groove pattern and then feel the weight. Weight is usually what makes me decide to hit it. I like heavier feeling wedge. I buy based on how it feels. I'd been a Cleveland guy forever, then tried some Mizuno T20, but now I'll be an Edel guy forever unless THP intervenes :)

Firstly, it's shape and how it suits my eye at address. Next is grooves. I very much prefer full-face grooves for the look, and versatility. Then I'd probably move to sole grind, and finish. I do not like rusty clubs, so would go with a chrome or other look. After that, consider shaft and grip options.

Forgiveness that is why I am using the CBX2 wedges. They are a life saver. They also just perform.

Grind, balance, weight, looks, feel.

Looks. If I like the way it looks, I’ll dive into the sole, bounce, toe side help and whatnot.

Back