What golf ball are you gaming this season? (2019)

ProVs are a great ball. They'll do you well if you choose to use them otherwise you could sell them.

DT
I've been using them since I started playing. Hence why I have so many.

The TP5 is better in my opinion. But maybe it's just the feeling of something new.

Posted by my thumbs.

Z star. It just does everything I need it to at $10 less a dozen than the TP5’s that I also enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will be playing the Snell MTB Red/Yellow. Dollar for dollar the best buy on the market today.

2019 Gamer: Callaway Chromesoft Truvis Shaka

All around great ball - my comfort zone and the logos are legit

But new gear all around so might need to make sure I’m maximizing the game with the current offerings

Potential Challengers and reasons why:

Srixon Z Star/ Srixon XV: solid price point- in limited testing the balls excelled in less than idea conditions - Specifically in the wind - cons durability was less than ideal

Bridgestone E12 - awesome new offering - great 3 piece balls - big fan of the matte colors on the balls - great pricepoint at less than $30 cons - how does approach and greenside performance stack up to my gamer and other challengers?

Callaway ERC - alignment aide on the ball is outstanding - potential to improve distance, is the new cover as durable as the Chromesoft? Cons - not Truvis

I've been using them since I started playing. Hence why I have so many.

The TP5 is better in my opinion. But maybe it's just the feeling of something new.

Posted by my thumbs.

You're a brave man to use ProVs since a beginner. There are few things more painful in golf than putting an expensive ball in a lake or the trees! I have a few boxes of urethane balls in the basement, but prefer to use the surlyn for now.

DT

Chrome Soft X is my ball this year for any round that matters.

Why?
a) Highest spinning ball for me off the irons (according to GC Quad)
b) Great speed off the driver
c) I freaking love the feel around the green
d) I love having Truvis as an option
e) I want to rep Callaway

You're a brave man to use ProVs since a beginner. There are few things more painful in golf than putting an expensive ball in a lake or the trees! I have a few boxes of urethane balls in the basement, but prefer to use the surlyn for now.

DT
I just went with what someone once told me was good and stuck with it.

Pro v1 is a great ball, espsecially in its ability to stop around the green. That's always been what my game needs as I scramble a lot. Until Taylormade sent me a couple dozen TP5s last year, I would have never considered switching.

Losing a ball has never bothered me. It's part of the game. I'm not one to use a ball more than a couple of rounds either.

Posted by my thumbs.

More than likely the Tour B RXS, but I'm going to give the new TP5 and ProV1s a shot as well.

I think it’s gonna be the Z Star or XV, but the Tour B XS will get some time in the bag too. I may give the new TP5 balls another try also, but I’m really gonna try to stick with one type of ball much more often this year.

Ended the summer ising the AVX. I launch and flight the ball really high so they helped. But I’m also open to other balls. The new TP5 sounds promising but the seam turns me off. The Project A is nice but again, that ugly seam! The new Srixon Z Star Tour and Q Star Tour intrigue me. The balls that have my attention the most are the Bridgestone XS and RX. Both feel and respond well pitching and chipping. My early testing of the new Pro V1 has been favorable. It could work too if it is a bit longer than the ‘17 ball yet retains its spin around the green moreso than the AVX. C654FDBD-4A92-47DA-BD51-9ACEB2D75C08.jpeg

I'm looking at the Taylormade TP5 and 5X. I played one for a few holes last year and was very impressed with the length off the tee.

So many great options. The Bridgestone BRXS and the Chrome Soft ae the leaders right now, but the new Callaway ERC ball really has my interest as well as the new Bridgestone e12.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Duo-Professionals at the top of the list, Chrome Soft, Bridgestone RX, Snell Black, AVX will get their chances also.

Chrome Soft X is my ball this year for any round that matters.

Why?
a) Highest spinning ball for me off the irons (according to GC Quad)
b) Great speed off the driver
c) I freaking love the feel around the green
d) I love having Truvis as an option
e) I want to rep Callaway

I'm with him! These are pretty much my exact thoughts.

I'll run through my very old stock of TM TP Red LDP's, then onto last years stock of TP5 and TP5x and then I'll check out the 2019 TM balls.

I’m leaning ERC right now, I need to pick up some to finalize that, but it seems to be a very good ball for me. The other contender is the CS Truvis, cuz #truvis, it also performs really well for me, but it’s a bit spinnier than I really need, but still very playable.

Black and yellow chromesoft for "serious" rounds... Duo optix in green or red for every fun round

Chrome Soft Truvis is my default but I want to try some other offerings this year. The ERC ball looks interesting. I'd also like to try the TP5, new Bridgestones, and the Snell MTB Red. Whatever it is, it has to come in yellow.

I played the AVX as my ball in important rounds most of last year. This year, I may lean towards the Pro V1 in yellow. I also want to try the new TP5/5X and the ERC. My local Golf Galaxy had some ERCs on the putting green and I liked the lines a lot.

2018 TP5 so far. Really liking it.

Will try out the 2019 yellow Pro V1 at some point, but may wait until they are on sale in the fall.

Intrigued by the ERC lines, but not the ball. Hopefully they will sell a CS or something else with them.

So far it’s the Z Star as it just performs for me, until something can knock it off that will be my gamer. I do want to give the TP5/TP5X a shot this year though and maybe the Bridgestone Tour B RX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am undecided so far, only two rounds in the new year.
I have a really good supply of Chrome Soft Truvis in multiple patterns. I have played a couple rounds with the new Srixon Q-Star Tour, (awesome ball).

It will probably be Chrome Soft but I will be trying the new Titleist ProV1X for sure and the Q-Star tour.

Chrome Soft X is the incumbent, but it will be a battle. Going to be trying out Pro V1(X) and TP5(X) and will likely dip back into Tour B(X) territory. I'm also very interested in the Duo Pro early on this season.

I have a surplus of 15 and 16 prov1s. A couple dozen 18 v1x i got for xmass. Im still going to buy 4 dozen tp5 because i love that ball for my game. It seems to help with my spin, keeping it lower, travels forever off of the driver, holds it's line like few others do in the wind, soft around the green with a great feel off of the putter, and if you shop around can be picked up reasonably (recycled of course).

Odd that i prefer the v1x to the v1 but prefer the tp5 to the 5x.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Titleist AVX & Pro V1X, 2018. Just bought a box of the 2019 Pro V1X, white high numbers. My playing partner bought 2 sleeves. Playing them tomorrow. I forgot for 2019 both Pro V1's & Pro V1X's come in yellow now, should've bought of the yellow instead.

Back