What is 10K MOI and Does it Matter To You?

One of my favorite parts of a video like this, is the ability THPers have to get to play golf and spend a few days with the people like Chris and ask more and learn more at our events
For sure. At the Morgan Cup I felt like I was getting a version of this video from like 3 (or more) years in the future

For sure. At the Morgan Cup I felt like I was getting a version of this video from like 3 (or more) years in the future
Without a doubt having access is what we love so much for THPers. Those who’s have been fortunate enough to spend time with Chris from this video at the Victory Cup or Yags from the Morgan Cup or fill in the blank others, you know you are getting transparency and honesty and not marketing but rather a full look at golf equipment and coming away smarter

Chris does an excellent job explaining this. Easy to follow and understand. 👍👍

Finally got a chance to watch the video and that was fantastic! MOI was always something I’ve heard and just equated to forgiveness without understanding much about it, but Vosh explained this in way that is sooo easy to understand. I also have a much better appreciation for the puts and takes when it comes to higher MOI that I didn’t really understand.

I’m curious, how noticeable or impactful is 500-800 less MOI? I’m sure it’s player dependent, but on the surface, it doesn’t seem like a huge sacrifice in MOI, but you get the benefit of a more traditional look at address.

Great video and explanation of the trade offs getting to 10k… lot of great information that makes me feel stupid on MOI for the most part 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

Video explains why the TM QI10 spun more than my 7 wood despite trying a myriad of shafts. Also why, while the Ping 10K Max was hotter off the face than my G430 Max, I kept pushing, or even push fading it. I didn't purchase either one.

My buddy wanted me to go with him to buy a new driver a few weeks ago and he was pretty set on buying the Pink 10k as he had hit it well a few weeks before. While we were there I talked him into basically hitting everything and he ended up in a Callaway Smoke Max D.

He was consistently getting a better launch angle, lower spin and about 20 more yards of carry along with a considerably better dispersion pattern.

SOLD! 😃

I would gladly pay $599 for that result.

This was so interesting, I had to go and hit the ST Max. And the forgiveness is real, even without the 10K.

What a great breakdown.

Nice video from Vosh, he seems like such a great guy.

Serious question: what is the trade off with the ping 10k? He mentions spin, squaring the club up, etc when you pull all that weight back. I haven’t hit it, but all the reviews and videos on the ping 10k talk about how it’s an enigma with spin being on the lower side for such a forgiving driver. I know the weight of the club people seem to swing it a bit slower and the look either something you’re ok with it or hate it. Reviews on the QI 10 max seem to line up with what he’s saying with spin, but what was the trade off that ping made with their 10k?

Outstanding video. I definitely understand the meaning and effect of MOI, along with the necessary construction to achieve it, after Chris' expert description and explanation.

Serious question: what is the trade off with the ping 10k? He mentions spin, squaring the club up, etc when you pull all that weight back. I haven’t hit it, but all the reviews and videos on the ping 10k talk about how it’s an enigma with spin being on the lower side for such a forgiving driver. I know the weight of the club people seem to swing it a bit slower and the look either something you’re ok with it or hate it. Reviews on the QI 10 max seem to line up with what he’s saying with spin, but what was the trade off that ping made with their 10k?

Good question.

This was really cool. He has such a great way of explaining it that it even makes sense to me.

I would love to know this as well with the Ping 10K.

Seems like squaring the face with a larger shape is either a fitting or swing issue and not a design trade off.
That would be like Ping then saying, we didn't want a traditional shape because its too easy to turn over.

This is one of the best videos on THP TV ever, so easy to understand 10K now.

Fantastic video, as well as the conversation in this thread

I will say that with the footprint as big as it is for the ping 10k it actually doesn’t look terrible at address. I’m one who like smaller profile heads as well.

Watched the video yesterday and while I think a 10K driver might help some there’s no way I’m paying that much for a golf club. Still sort of regret paying so much for my G410 after the G425 came out. Have never bought a new release club, usually several release cycles old.

Great, succinct explanation.

I would say the biggest trade off with the Ping 10K is head weight. Our shop’s Ping 10K demo heads weigh 202G to 205G. TM Max 10K are 194G to 196G. The notoriously heavy Ping driver heads all but force you into some sort of counter balanced shaft if you want to play it at standard length and still have a reasonable swing weight. If you want the full benefit of the heavy 10K head but don’t like counter balanced shafts you have to play it shorter than standard. Lastly, if you want to play a non-counter balanced shaft at standard length you will need to drop head weight which reduces MOI slightly.

I would say the biggest trade off with the Ping 10K is head weight. Our shop’s Ping 10K demo heads weigh 202G to 205G. TM Max 10K are 194G to 196G. The notoriously heavy Ping driver heads all but force you into some sort of counter balanced shaft if you want to play it at standard length and still have a reasonable swing weight. If you want the full benefit of the heavy 10K head but don’t like counter balanced shafts you have to play it shorter than standard. Lastly, if you want to play a non-counter balanced shaft at standard length you will need to drop head weight which reduces MOI slightly.

That is a very helpful summary.

Thanks. (y)

Just shafted up a few driver heads for some testing at Victoria National next week.
All with the same shaft. One of them is the ST-Max

Back