What is 10K MOI and Does it Matter To You?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What is Moment of Inertia? How does it help you? Is there a magic number that makes something perform better or offer more? Where did 10K MOI come from? These are all questions that have been brought up since the beginning of 2024 on the THP Forum and social media.

Earlier this month, we took a detailed look at the new Mizuno ST-Max Driver. Breaking down how it was constructed and what you might expect out of the performance. What is the MOI of this driver?

Rather than explain it, we sought out one of the industry experts to walk through what is real and what isn’t and what you can look for in a driver. In this video, Chris Voshall from Mizuno Golf goes over the magic number of 10K MOI and if it matters?

With all of the buzz words and marketing that has been done around 10K and MOI, after watching Chris Voshall go over the ST-MAX and MOI in general, where do you stand on it?

Marketing buzz words or something that you are searching for to help your game?

For more information on Mizuno Golf or any of their products, check out their website at www.mizunogolf.com.

Continue reading...

Will give this a listen in just a bit.

Cannot wait to listen to this one when I get to my desk

Been waiting for this!

Interesting. It's always interesting to hear about the decisions manufacturer's need to make about the give and take between forgiveness and appearance and other properties. Thanks.

Great listening to what cause and effects occur when building a club. When do we get a 11800 club?

Great description. Hard to square up?? That part had my confused for a minute :unsure:

He just breaks it down so well. He always does and I really enjoy his videos.

Great listen and truly appreciate how Chris broke down MOI and what actually goes in to getting to that number. I never really thought about how the shape of the club is effected by it.

Good stuff!!!

Great description. Hard to square up?? That part had my confused for a minute :unsure:
It is something we mentioned during our PGA Show coverage as well after speaking to a couple of different R&D people.

Definitely going to give it a listen after I get some of the morning routine sorted

Been waiting for this one to drop. So good, and SO educational on the whole 10K thing.

Great listen, learned a few things I did not know. It certainly tells the story to make sure to get fit before buying just on the tech story. Did not know there were sacrifices that had to be given up to achieve 10K.

Great video! I love this chat as marketing never talks about what is given up to get what they’re marketing and there is always a trade off somewhere.

I always enjoy learning more about golf club design and MOI. I will listen to this today.

Tusks thatTIP for captioning it helps me a lot thanks Chris Voshall for explaining all this as well.

For me the magical 10k is not worth that trade offer that Chris noted. Also diminishing returns. I wonder how much different say 9400 is thank 10k. If the shape is off putting our spin is too high or tut fcc is closed is it going to perfom better, not likely, for me.

Good watch and listen. Definitely educational about things when it comes to MOI... I'm very interested in the Max. I'd like to see how that might make a difference for me.

I'd love to spend a day with a guy like Vosh. Well, I guess we have quite a few people that have done that and will get to do that later this year lol.

It's a very interesting discussion. I took away that there's no free rides in golf club design and you have to find the best compromise for your target player. It makes sense to me that a club that wants to resist twisting is going to experience slower closure rates. At least that's where my mind is at.

What a fantastic video. So well explained. Everyone can learn a lot from this.

Love this. I'm a firm believer in the CG - closure rate discussion.

Makes me want to go hit this one as I haven't yet.

This is so freakin interesting. One of the better explanations of MOI I have seen. When are the manufacturers going to start publishing these numbers in the specs

Chris makes me feel less stupid lol

Lol, I had just watched this on You tube while running a report for work.....and all of a sudden Chris started in about Moi and 10K and i was locked in for the rest of the video, great explanation and Masters class on why you do or don't want "10k"

Great video Chris explains it so well. I love listening to him. The fact that they stayed under 10k on purpose is interesting. Details on what has to change and the effects on changes to get to 10k was very insightful.

The 10K hype means very little to me. Give me a driver that works and I’m happy.

Back