What is 10K MOI and Does it Matter To You?

Would it be fair to say that drivers in the 10k realm can be considered game improvement drivers, given that they have to sacrifice in other areas in order to achieve MOI?

The touching on how it is not as simple as moving weight, but what other dominoes fall when 1 thing changes is fascinating. Changing club design and tech and having it work is very involved. Love hearing more about all of it.

Great video by Vosh, I now know a lot more about MOI than I did 5 minutes ago. I love how he explains it in very simple terms without going off into the weeds.

one of my favorite videos we've had recently on THP.

The touching on how it is not as simple as moving weight, but what other dominoes fall when 1 thing changes is fascinating. Changing club design and tech and having it work is very involved. Love hearing more about all of it.
When we had the opportunity to talk to the club designers / R&D guys at Callaway last December, it was amazing to learn about how even very small changes in one aspect of design affect and interact with other aspects. As Vosh said in the video, it's a matter of balancing the involved trade-offs to reach the best overall result, not just chasing numbers.

When we had the opportunity to talk to the club designers / R&D guys at Callaway last December, it was amazing to learn about how even very small changes in one aspect of design affect and interact with other aspects. As Vosh said in the video, it's a matter of balancing the involved trade-offs to reach the best overall result, not just chasing numbers.
...and on a maybe somewhat unrelated note, it also helps explain why AI is a valuable part of club design and not just a marketing buzzword. Using AI, they can virtually model the changes and have a pretty good idea of what the effects will be, rather than having to build actual physical models over and over again as the design evolves.

An educated man educating the masses about some sales buzz word short comings. Love it.

Would it be fair to say that drivers in the 10k realm can be considered game improvement drivers, given that they have to sacrifice in other areas in order to achieve MOI?
It would completely depend on the player due to face closure and spin.

I am duck hooking 10k drivers in my testing lately. Can't wait for the USGA to open up the limit so I can get me sum 13k shiznit. Hi pushes all day Bro

The question in my mind is.. Can you make super high MOI and have the driver be low spin and fast? I am sure you can, it is just really really really hard.. So, how "could" you do it? Could someone create a 10K LS??

I watch this video this morning. It’s great to hear real talk from smart people in the golf industry.

I always thought 10k was a number for a numbers sake. Is there merit in high moi? Absolutely. But everything in club design is balancing tradeoffs. Especially Driver.

The question in my mind is.. Can you make super high MOI and have the driver be low spin and fast? I am sure you can, it is just really really really hard.. So, how "could" you do it? Could someone create a 10K LS??
Yes. But as Yags said in retort to similar line of questioning…would you pay for it? Not just money but esthetics AND then are you asking it to comply with rules?

Yes. But as Yags said in retort to similar line of questioning…would you pay for it? Not just money but esthetics AND then are you asking it to comply with rules?
Yeah. I went down a similar thought process.

Great video. I was trying to figure out how the 10k became a thing as it feels like just 2 years ago that OEM's were bragging they had crossed the 5k barrier in MOI in drivers and the 5900 was the limit. Things make a lot more sense to me now.

Reactions: JB

I mean, isn’t that kinda what Ping is saying theirs is?

My question about MOI is are all OEM's measuring it the same?
Seriously? MOI is a mathematical formula. There is no way to fudge it.

I mean, isn’t that kinda what Ping is saying theirs is?
I just watched 6 YouTube reviews comparing the ping 10K to the QI Max, and in 2 of the videos featuring slower swingers they were pretty equal in terms of spin. in four of them all faster swingers the ping was lower by about 400 to 500 RPMs. so if any 10 K drivers are claiming lower spin, it seems to ping is trending that way.

Great video and explanation by Vosh. It doesn't matter to me in and of itself but like other limits/targets like 460cc it creates interesting innovation and discussion

Great video and explanation by Vosh. It doesn't matter to me in and of itself but like other limits/targets like 460cc it creates interesting innovation and discussion
One of my favorite parts of a video like this, is the ability THPers have to get to play golf and spend a few days with the people like Chris and ask more and learn more at our events

I just watched 6 YouTube reviews comparing the ping 10K to the QI Max, and in 2 of the videos featuring slower swingers they were pretty equal in terms of spin. in four of them all faster swingers the ping was lower by about 400 to 500 RPMs. so if any 10 K drivers are claiming lower spin, it seems to ping is trending that way.
My buddy wanted me to go with him to buy a new driver a few weeks ago and he was pretty set on buying the Pink 10k as he had hit it well a few weeks before. While we were there I talked him into basically hitting everything and he ended up in a Callaway Smoke Max D. He was consistently getting a better launch angle, lower spin and about 20 more yards of carry along with a considerably better dispersion pattern.

My buddy wanted me to go with him to buy a new driver a few weeks ago and he was pretty set on buying the Pink 10k as he had hit it well a few weeks before. While we were there I talked him into basically hitting everything and he ended up in a Callaway Smoke Max D. He was consistently getting a better launch angle, lower spin and about 20 more yards of carry along with a considerably better dispersion pattern.

Don’t recall the smoke max D being 10k

10k is a lot. Really don't care one way or another but as I look at the various inputs from Chris and others, forgiveness is excellent in these new drivers and I'm one who doesn't slap the center every time so 10k probably fits me well.

Don’t recall the smoke max D being 10k
I don't think it is, or if it is Callaway hasn't advertised it as such. The point I was trying to make is that just because something is 10k doesn't mean it's the best, even for a pretty average golfer.

What he explained in the video pretty Much translated to what I saw in demos. The 10k heads were more stable on off center hits. That said there also a distance loss compared to the company standard head. is it hype? In my mind, yes. Highly MOI drivers are more stable, but there’s a point of diminishing returns. Have to find that happy medium that works for you.

I don't think it is, or if it is Callaway hasn't advertised it as such. The point I was trying to make is that just because something is 10k doesn't mean it's the best, even for a pretty average golfer.
True. It will always boil down to a proper fit.

Back