What is the worst team name in major professional sports??

Commanders
Guardians
Browns

THPers have gotten this right.

Green Bay Packers

Commanders. I read some where, that the new owners might go back to Redskins.

There’s supposedly a boycott. Works for me. Quite a few tribes in that area as well. William and Mary is “The Tribe”. They have a ceremony at graduation recognizing the tribes from that area and honor the land the campus sits on.

I'll 2nd/3rd/5th - Commanders and Generals

Ain’t no Bears in Chicago, or Cubs, or Bulls for that matter.

The WNBA.

It's a cool history though.

If we're going that way Lakers is way worse.
Both the Jazz and the Lakers moved to their current city. The New Orleans Jazz and Minneapolis Lakers both made sense.

I’ll go MN Wild too, give us the North Stars back!

I would love that... but, I don’t think the new owners would want to start off by taking a lot of flak from the “politically correct.”
In an unforeseen (and 100% true) plot twist, several Indian tribes are petitioning them to change the name back to Redskins, and threatening to boycott and protest if they don’t.

Another vote for the Commanders.

It's pretty common for shorter team nicknames. The Pack, Bucs, Pats, Hawks, Niners, etc. So what would that leave Washington with?

Commies?

Well, sorta fitting, anyway.

Cleveland Guardians

Arizona Cardinals is dumb. They have the diamondbacks, coyotes, and Sun's. I mean so many cool names left.

Lakers and Dodgers are based on previous cities.

Titans is lame

Sox teams are dumb
The Cardinals were first in Chicago then St. Louis before relocating to Arizona.

the Vikings were named after a hoax, does that count

Wild is a bad one from there as well

Last edited:
Oakland Athletics
Was just about to say this very same thing. I mean, really? Talk about phoning it in. Could just as well have named themselves the Oakland Baseball Players 😅

The Cardinals were first in Chicago then St. Louis before relocating to Arizona.
I knew that but it doesn't prevent them from rebranding the team when they moved. 🤷‍♂️

Back