What is the worst team name in major professional sports??

Guardians. Commanders. Pelicans.

Guardians is not actually a horrible name due to the Guardian statues right outside the stadium. My guess is that most of reasons they show up here is due to the reason they had to change. Noticed nobody mentioned the Wizards, which is also a pretty bad replacement name, so I'm guessing the Guardians hatred will die down after 20+ years.

I've always thought Dodgers was a pretty dumb name...

Guardians

Noticed nobody mentioned the Wizards, which is also a pretty bad replacement name
Yeah... I really dislike that, too. Kinda funny that Wizards replaced Bullets... because they didn’t want the connotation of crime - which DC is becoming known for now!

Grizzlies doesn’t fit with Memphis... but, of course they started out in Vancouver.

For those not as familiar with NBA history... there were the Rochester Royals... then the Cincinnati Royals, next they were the Kansas City Kings... and now they are the Sacramento Kings. At least they stayed with the “royalty theme.”

Raptors.

I'll see my way out.

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Guardians is not actually a horrible name due to the Guardian statues right outside the stadium. My guess is that most of reasons they show up here is due to the reason they had to change. Noticed nobody mentioned the Wizards, which is also a pretty bad replacement name, so I'm guessing the Guardians hatred will die down after 20+ years.

I've always thought Dodgers was a pretty dumb name...
Regardless of the symbolism, it’s terrible.

Bring back the Indians.

Guardians sounds like it came off a pack of condoms. They'll always be the Indians to me.

Red Sox/Black Sox.... Dumbasses can't even spell socks right.

The Toffees

Everton FC (English soccer club)

Guardians

Browns.

Yeah... I really dislike that, too. Kinda funny that Wizards replaced Bullets... because they didn’t want the connotation of crime - which DC is becoming known for now!

I remember the “contest” for the name. Best entry I thought was “The Law”.

But yeah, Wizards sucks.

"WILD" - seriously...what in tarnation??? :rolleyes:

Browns, Commanders and Guardians are the ones that popped into my mind right away

Utah Utes looking for a spot at the table.

Commanders and Guardians both tie for worst.
I like the Kraken name.

Arizona Cardinals is dumb. They have the diamondbacks, coyotes, and Sun's. I mean so many cool names left.

Lakers and Dodgers are based on previous cities.

Titans is lame

Sox teams are dumb

What's wrong with the SOX names?

Back