What one thing would you eliminate from golf

Laser finders...OMG that drives me INSANE! One guy lasered a 30 yard pitch shot...ARRRGGHHH. Like 99% laser 153.7 then hit it 138.3 into water. Stop with the lasers. Walk off the distance from the markers or from sprinkler heads to the center of the green. Every big step = 1 yard.

You want people to walk off instead of zap? That won't help with slow play. A laser finder is actually a quick and easy way to know your distance. I would argue if courses were better marked the product would never have been needed.

Any group that is not a foursome, yet feel entitled that they shouldn't be paired up with enough players to create a foursome.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I don't mind this, what I do mind is people who regularly play twosomes, threesome, or solo and then get on message boards and complain about slow play because they are behind a foursome, lol, just kidding guys.

I do think first tee philosophy and group size has more to do with slow play complaints than actual slow play. I think people confuse waiting with slow, of course a twosome with no one in front of them can and should finish in 3-3:45 hours, but a foursome is going to take 3:45-4:30 and if you are in the twosome behind them, then so are you. I also suspect a lot of gentlemen play more golf than their wives are ok with and they feel that stress of knowing their wife is at home ticked while they are waiting and it makes it seem much worse to them as well.

I would make a max score per hole.. possibly double bogey.. reach double, pick it up, let’s go.. nobody wants to be behind Duffy McHook as he’s lining up his 10’ putt for a 12...
I would also make continuous putting a rule.. once it’s your turn putt till it’s holed out.. don’t worry about being in someone’s line,the last group walked on it too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, when someone is playing at three o'clock on a sunny saturday afternoon on a busy course, ticked because I stepped on their line, after 300 or 400 people have stomped all over the green, they should be happy I'm flattening down the line as they line up that 10 footer for 12 (I assume it is a par 5)

I believe without question it should be the ability to use a rangefinder. It will help with slow play. Guys not having to look at the yardage books every 10 seconds. I would also get rid of the green reading books. I think that takes away from the guys that are good green readers.

Rich Lerner.....
and Slow Play...

I believe without question it should be the ability to use a rangefinder. It will help with slow play. Guys not having to look at the yardage books every 10 seconds. I would also get rid of the green reading books. I think that takes away from the guys that are good green readers.

Sat there on hole 15 yesterday and watched Hideki take 5 minutes to look at a putt. Just brutal in person.

Sat there on hole 15 yesterday and watched Hideki take 5 minutes to look at a putt. Just brutal in person.

100%. I can understand help from your caddy, but pulling out the green reading book on every putt is just garbage and slows up play.

You want people to walk off instead of zap? That won't help with slow play. A laser finder is actually a quick and easy way to know your distance. I would argue if courses were better marked the product would never have been needed.

I've thought about my comment and responses thereto. My view is skewed because my course has plenty of marked sprinkler heads as well as the standard yardage stakes. I have the yardage to the center of the green before they zap the pin. Just played a course where the carts had GPS that was dead-on accurate...but the guys still used their lasers. If you're playing courses without the above then I understand how it's faster.

I don't think the rangefinder does anything to speed up play. College Golf allows rangefinders as does most USGA am events. Those are still 5 and 6 hour slogs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm late to the thread and this has probably already been addressed, but the USGA and R&A is granting your wish on January 1st. If the local rule is in place (and I'm sure it will be for all but the most serious tournaments), estimate where the ball went out, go 2 clubs from the edge of the fairway no-nearer and take a drop in the fairway (if you wish) with a 2-stroke penalty. (A bit simplified description of the procedure, but that's the gist)

Let me make sure I have this straight: you hit your tee ball OB and drop near where it went out. Are you hitting 3?

I'd like to see courses take a different approach to the "up tees" so higher cap guys can have more fun instead of being pressured to play blues or blacks. Instead of calling the front tees the "Ladies Tees", how about if courses made playing the front tees more fun? Like a offering a challenge-type approach? Something like "long-hitter's nightmare", or, "shorter yardage, more trouble - test your 3W or 2I driving skills - you won't shoot par!" In all likelihood the challenge would be true on many courses and would speed up play.

This would give the higher cap guys something to shoot for separate from the back tee guys. I would take the challenge if presented in challenge - positive manner.

I don't think the rangefinder does anything to speed up play. College Golf allows rangefinders as does most USGA am events. Those are still 5 and 6 hour slogs.

I also think that there's a difference between the college plays and the PGA players. I also believe that not having a caddy in the college game slows down play a little bit as well.

Let me make sure I have this straight: you hit your tee ball OB and drop near where it went out. Are you hitting 3?

Sounds like hitting 4. #1 OB, 2-3 penalty, because one can drop in the fairway. IMO all that will happen is folks will swear their ball is NOT OB and keep looking to avoid the 2 stroke penalty. I would think most guys would hit a provisional to save the extra penalty stroke.

I also think that there's a difference between the college plays and the PGA players. I also believe that not having a caddy in the college game slows down play a little bit as well.
The problem as I see it isn't amount of time to get the yardage. That happens pretty quick with both rangefinders or yardage books.It is the thought process after getting the yardage that slows things down.

I'd like to see courses take a different approach to the "up tees" so higher cap guys can have more fun instead of being pressured to play blues or blacks. Instead of calling the front tees the "Ladies Tees", how about if courses made playing the front tees more fun? Like a offering a challenge-type approach? Something like "long-hitter's nightmare", or, "shorter yardage, more trouble - test your 3W or 2I driving skills - you won't shoot par!" In all likelihood the challenge would be true on many courses and would speed up play.

This would give the higher cap guys something to shoot for separate from the back tee guys. I would take the challenge if presented in challenge - positive manner.

I'm a big fan of players playing it forward to the tees that best allow them to have a decent chance of making GIR's on par four holes.

The problem as I see it isn't amount of time to get the yardage. That happens pretty quick with both rangefinders or yardage books.It is the thought process after getting the yardage that slows things down.

I totally agree, but watching Tiger right now on the Masters app, he is taking a couple of minutes to look at the yardage book when I think that shooting it with the rangefinder would take at least 20-30 mins off a round. Don't you agree with that though?

I totally agree, but watching Tiger right now on the Masters app, he is taking a couple of minutes to look at the yardage book when I think that shooting it with the rangefinder would take at least 20-30 mins off a round. Don't you agree with that though?
They will use the laser to get yardage to pin then refer back to book. To get how many paces pin is from the front, where they want to land shot, best place to miss, Then you have all the discussion about wind, shot shape, and club selection. Also to check any notes they made in practice round about that hole. The laser may save some time. I just don't think it would be enough to matter.

That's what I see a LOT. Precision information vs. lack of precision swings (talking higher Hcp here). I recently played with a guy who lasered 147.2....then asked me if he should slightly choke down a 7, or hit hard 8? I said the green is 30 yards deep, the pins in front.....how far do you hit your 7? He said 150-155. I said hit the 7, if hit well you'll have a 9 or 24 foot putt AND avoid the bunker, plenty of room behind the pin. But, 147.2 stuck in his head and he choked down. Landed 10 yards short in the front bunker. Two bunker shots later - still not on the green. If anything, more than 2 bunker shots should result in placing the ball on the green with a 1 stroke penalty...the time to wait for multiple attempts, then raking is very slow.

Ultimately, rounds are taking too long because too many golfers are inappropriately playing the back tees. Sure, change the rules, but to me that's the #1 reason for slow rounds, and sprinkle in not putting out vs. putt...mark...putt...mark.

They will use the laser to get yardage to pin then refer back to book. To get how many paces pin is from the front, where they want to land shot, best place to miss, Then you have all the discussion about wind, shot shape, and club selection. Also to check any notes they made in practice round about that hole. The laser may save some time. I just don't think it would be enough to matter.

I understand that these guys are playing for millions of dollars every week, but don't you think that think about every shot too much?

That's what I see a LOT. Precision information vs. lack of precision swings (talking higher Hcp here). I recently played with a guy who lasered 147.2....then asked me if he should slightly choke down a 7, or hit hard 8? I said the green is 30 yards deep, the pins in front.....how far do you hit your 7? He said 150-155. I said hit the 7, if hit well you'll have a 9 or 24 foot putt AND avoid the bunker, plenty of room behind the pin. But, 147.2 stuck in his head and he choked down. Landed 10 yards short in the front bunker. Two bunker shots later - still not on the green. If anything, more than 2 bunker shots should result in placing the ball on the green with a 1 stroke penalty...the time to wait for multiple attempts, then raking is very slow.

Ultimately, rounds are taking too long because too many golfers are inappropriately playing the back tees. Sure, change the rules, but to me that's the #1 reason for slow rounds, and sprinkle in not putting out vs. putt...mark...putt...mark.
I was specifically talking about the professional game and high level am. I don't have the issues you laid out. It is very seldom that I play a round longer than 3.5 hours. That is 4somes on weekend mornings. We play ready golf no honors hit when ur ready. It is not uncommon for guys on opposite sides of the fairway to hit at same time.

As for playing wrong tees, hardly anyone plays the tips in my area. At the course I just joined I am the only one who plays the tips. Even the club championship is played from the regular tees.

The biggest reason for slow play is no one thinks there slow.

The pros have millions of $'s and a lifetime of reputation on the line. It doesn't matter if they zap the pin or not, they still will carry a yardage book to see where they need to leave the ball.

I understand that these guys are playing for millions of dollars every week, but don't you think that think about every shot too much?
My view is probably skewed a little having caddied in a couple of symetra tour events (web.com for lpga). No I don't believe they think to much. Are there times they overthink it - yes. For the most part though I believe they are getting the appropriate info to play their best. For the amount of info being processed it happens pretty quick (JB Holmes at the farmers notwithstanding).

Sounds to me like he just made a bad decision. I dislike the amount of time pros take, but someone else mentioned how they look at where to land the shot and where to miss in addition to the distance to the flag. I think some of us high and mid cappers could learn from the pros and take a few seconds to consider that extra information. We don’t need to take an extra few minutes like on TV, but better course management would speed up some rounds. I think that’s more part of getting better at golf than speeding up play though.

I've thought about my comment and responses thereto. My view is skewed because my course has plenty of marked sprinkler heads as well as the standard yardage stakes. I have the yardage to the center of the green before they zap the pin. Just played a course where the carts had GPS that was dead-on accurate...but the guys still used their lasers. If you're playing courses without the above then I understand how it's faster.

The course I now belong to has GPS in the carts,too. However, accuracy is hit and miss. You can be driving on the cart path and get a warning that you have entered a protected area. One is lucky if the accuracy is better than 5 yards, which is 1/2 a club for me.

Half the time they are waiting for the wind to do what they want pretending like it is a yardage issue.

Back