What one thing would you eliminate from golf

Sandbaggers, they make a mockery of the handicap system and take the fun out of a lot of tournaments.

I think you’re missing the point.

In the trees + 140 yards away is going to take longer to play compared to in the trees and 70 yards away.

Those guys who shouldn’t be playing from the tips have a near zero percent chance of hitting the green from the first scenario. At least they have a shot of punching out onto a green if they’re closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and you don't have to wait for each of those guys to hit 3 or more shots before they are out of range and you can tee off.

Courses and marshals who don’t enforce pace of play.

...and you don't have to wait for each of those guys to hit 3 or more shots before they are out of range and you can tee off.

Oh yeah. Another good point to it. If it’s a par 5/long par 4 and they’re ob right at 180 yards...it’s going to be awhile before you can tee up.

The divot thing. There are signs saying please repair your divots, a divot should be ground under repair.

Agreed!!! Crazy rule for everyone. It is not your fault the ball ends up in a divot and I do not think we should be penelized.

Rounds over 4 hours...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'll see your 4 hours and raise it (lower it) to 3 1/2 hours. We've had 1st or 2nd tee time for years at three different courses and our foursome hasnever taken as much as 3 1/2 even on our slowest of days

I'd actually like to see tee times no closer than 10 minutes apart. 7 or 8 minutes between times is just a way to generate more money. as the day goes on, on a fully booked course, one's scheduled tee time is farther and farther from when it was scheduled.

I'll see your 4 hours and raise it (lower it) to 3 1/2 hours. We've had 1st or 2nd tee time for years at three different courses and our foursome hasnever taken as much as 3 1/2 even on our slowest of days

I'd actually like to see tee times no closer than 10 minutes apart. 7 or 8 minutes between times is just a way to generate more money. as the day goes on, on a fully booked course, one's scheduled tee time is farther and farther from when it was scheduled.

I call on the 3 1/2.

The first hour of tee times at my course (6:30-7:30 peak season), you are required to play in 3 1/2 or less. I love it.

They already did the no marking ball on green back in the day, and as a line on ball guy I will pass on that.

Slow greens, I mean I don't need fast but ban courses that stimp under 9

hahaha, I don't know why this entertained me so much, but it did.. How does one 'ban' a golf course?

Wouldn't simply not playing there suffice?

I'd change a number of rules to allow for a 'play the course as intended with section I considered' as a rule for all courses. That includes relief from divots, flawed grasses, foot prints in bunkers, dead spots, etc etc.
Hit a fairway, play from fairway. Hit the rough, play from rough.

Stroke and distance is a very close second.

hahaha, I don't know why this entertained me so much, but it did.. How does one 'ban' a golf course?

Wouldn't simply not playing there suffice?

way too much common sense in this post. I will just settle for every course rolling and cutting

I mentioned this thread to my wife just now who played a +5 hour round today. She asked me a general question: "Why does golf have to be completed in 4.5 hours? What other recreational activity that really is about hanging out and having fun has a timer?"
My wife, even though a non golfer, said similar once to me after I bellyached about a particular slow round.

She said, "you love to golf and love the course and the atmosphere. What's the big deal if it takes longer to finish, just soak it all in."

I didn't miss a beat, "so, then... dealing with crowds, standing and waiting on long lines is part of your overall positive shopping experience? You just soak it all in, right? "

She chuckled, "no fair."

My wife, even though a non golfer, said similar once to me after I bellyached about a particular slow round.

She said, "you love to golf and love the course and the atmosphere. What's the big deal if it takes longer to finish, just soak it all in."

I didn't miss a beat, "so, then... dealing with crowds, standing and waiting on long lines is part of your overall positive shopping experience? You just soak it all in, right? "

She chuckled, "no fair."

It is an interesting question....let's "play" golf but it must be OVER as QUICKLY as possible!

An observation as a guy who likes math...

Some advocate for 3 1/2 hour rounds. Others, tee times no closer than 10 minutes apart. If you are playing a 3 1/2 hour round that's an average of 11 1/2 minutes a hole. If you want to encourage a 3 1/2 hour pace 7-8 minutes between tee times would appear to be ideal. 7 minutes in the group ahead should be on the green of a par 4. If you have to wait 10 minutes, the groups ahead are on pace for a 5 to 5 1/2 hour round.

Just a thought.

One thing is too tough. I'd probably pick bogeys, doubles, and the dreaded "others". If par was the worst score possible I'd be pretty darn good.

I'll do my best to pick one or a few....

Fairways should always be lift clean and place as far as I'm concerned. I get why they're not but it's pretty frustrating to do your very best and get rained on, lots of times because some cretin didn't do his/her best to fix their gouge. It's part of the game but it's frustrating to me. Fair for all, but get screwed 3-4 times in the same round and it doesn't seem fair. Life isn't always, but a reward should be a reward.

Stroke and distance. Hitting it straight should be rewarded for sure. Let's let that reward be LCP in the fairways and quit punishing wayward sprayers more than needed. If I'm known here, I'm known because I hit the ball hard. So if I'm walking there's the potential that I have a 700 yard walk for no reason. Just let me/anyone drop where the best guess as to the OOB line is already. No nearer hole. I don't want charity, I want to not walk a half mile for nothing. I didn't get this nice round body style by walking an extra half mile. Let's keep it that way.

Uneducated marshalls. I'll keep this one brief, at least for me, but it was a huge problem once. I have a couple youth golfers that I'm raising. My rule for them is to either keep up or sit out. Due to this they play pretty quick. My oldest is a "select a club and whack" player my middle son is marginally slower, but as a foursome once we include my dad we always play in under 3 hours if the course is open. Long story short we were blamed for the slow pace at a local course. I waited 10+ minutes for the green to clear to hit my second into a short par 5. The marshal witnessed this, and yes.... I did put it in the green. Missed eagle as a side. Anyways, the next hole was a short par 4 of 330 but was downhill and downwind. Summer conditions so tons of roll. I had the kids hit, neither could come even close to getting there back then. I was waiting, again 10+ minutes for the group, which was a fivesome I must point out. The Marshall drove up and demanded that I hit. I told him no (I had 3w in hand), that I wouldn't hit into another group intentionally ever. He told me there was no way I'd reach them. I told him I'd been on this green before in less ideal distance conditions. He told me to hit. I again said no. He then told me to hit AND let the group behind us play through. I don't remember my verbal response, it wasn't rude but I was agitated by this point. What I did do was go back to my bag and grab my 3i. Don't read this wrong, I don't claim to hit it 330. But it was downhill and downwind with hard fairways. So I hit it knowing that I wouldn't put anyone in danger. I was close enough to the green though that the group on the green looked back at me, ended up about 15-20 yards short of it. Again, that was my 235 club at the time. Downhill and downwind with lots of roll got it the rest of the way. Ranger Rick then had the audacity to drive beside me as I drove up to our balls and demand that we let the group behind us play through. He then informed me that we were going to let the group behind play through. I asked him if he understood the basics of golf at all and then informed him that we would not. I told him if he felt the need to remove us from the course then so be it but unless we fell behind, we would not be letting anyone through. We did fall behind the brisk pace on the front and did let a group through. Played the front in 1:30.

It was a shame. I liked that course and it's really convenient for us. I avoided it for 2 years due to this. To have a ranger demand that you knowingly hit into a group is really bad. I was so upset by it that it totally ruined my day and made me avoid this course for 2 years. When I finally did play it again, to his and their credit, he watched me on the 1st tee, I smoked one (PTL, right?:)) He drove up to me and acted like he was astounded at where my drive was. There is no chance he didn't remember me because when I checked in they used my first name, which I hadn't given them otherwise.

In the end they made the effort to retain me as a Customer. It was a stupid situation though that shouldn't have been. My kids and I let faster groups (mainly singles) play through all the time. If we're a hole behind two things will always happen: The kids won't play until we're in position. We'll gladly let anyone behind us through 100% of the time if we're holding them up.

Rant (hey I do those best!:)) off! But cmon! Maybe the 5hr round fivesome you let out might be the problem, not the 3hr 3some. Even if there are kids involved.

It used to be the inability to tamp down spike marks (how stupid is that??? especially when metal spikes were in use...). Now I'd say the stroke + distance penalty for OB.

She chuckled, "no fair."

Nicely done!! Haha.

Stroke and distance penalty. No question

I'm late to the thread and this has probably already been addressed, but the USGA and R&A is granting your wish on January 1st. If the local rule is in place (and I'm sure it will be for all but the most serious tournaments), estimate where the ball went out, go 2 clubs from the edge of the fairway no-nearer and take a drop in the fairway (if you wish) with a 2-stroke penalty. (A bit simplified description of the procedure, but that's the gist)

If I could remove anything from professional golf, it would be the spectators shouting "get in the hole!" the second the golfer takes his shot/putt. Shouting at a professional golf match annoys the crap out of me.

Can I vote again?

How about eliminating current USGA and R&A leadership? They've really damaged the game in recent years with numerous unprincipled and brain-dead decisions.

Tee times spaced less then 10 minutes apart.

Came in here to post the same thing. Worst rule in golf for sure.

OB should be a lateral hazard. Heck I would even go for any drop situation being played like a water hazard, drop it wherever you want on the line your ball flew on, get it back to a reasonable spot and hit from there with your stroke penalty. This might help speed the game up, but most hacks like me already play this way. I mean I am not going back to the tee to hit another shot on a lost tee shot on a crowded Saturday at a local public course.

Back