What one thing would you eliminate from golf

Half the time they are waiting for the wind to do what they want pretending like it is a yardage issue.

Tiger was on TV yesterday saying “Oh, I know. I’m just stalling.” He was waiting for the wind.

LOL! It's an obsession "trade-off". But really? Laser check from 60 yards?

Do you assume that all golfers have excellent depth perception? Maybe they know how to hit a 60 yard shot, but not how to judge the distance. Would you prefer them walk off all their 60 yard shots?

I totally agree, but watching Tiger right now on the Masters app, he is taking a couple of minutes to look at the yardage book when I think that shooting it with the rangefinder would take at least 20-30 mins off a round. Don't you agree with that though?

He's not looking at the yardage book to get a distance to the pin. He's looking at what the distance is to cover the bunker, plus the distance to cover that little rise in the green so he can get on the proper tier of the green on the correct side of the flag. Doing so on greens they play which are often so undulating and so fast (especially at the Masters) means the difference between a birdie and bogey and those two strokes may mean the difference between keeping your card or not.

OB should be a lateral hazard. Heck I would even go for any drop situation being played like a water hazard, drop it wherever you want on the line your ball flew on, get it back to a reasonable spot and hit from there with your stroke penalty. This might help speed the game up, but most hacks like me already play this way. I mean I am not going back to the tee to hit another shot on a lost tee shot on a crowded Saturday at a local public course.

Again, they're doing this staring January 1. It's not a lateral hazard, but it gives you the ability to drop in an extremely generous area for a 2-stroke penalty, for either OB or lost balls:

He's not looking at the yardage book to get a distance to the pin. He's looking at what the distance is to cover the bunker, plus the distance to cover that little rise in the green so he can get on the proper tier of the green on the correct side of the flag. Doing so on greens they play which are often so undulating and so fast (especially at the Masters) means the difference between a birdie and bogey and those two strokes may mean the difference between keeping your card or not.

As he said later he was actually just stalling for the right wind.

Do you assume that all golfers have excellent depth perception? Maybe they know how to hit a 60 yard shot, but not how to judge the distance. Would you prefer them walk off all their 60 yard shots?

I concede some folks may be off by 5, 8, 10 yards, but at the same time I rarely see anyone missing by the amount they were off due to swing variability, or take too much club and hit it heavy and be near the pin. But, if you see my later post I re-thought the laser and instead blame high-cappers playing back tees...and putt...mark...putt....mark...putt...mark.

Golfing in neighborhood communities, OB stakes that are tight against the course really annoy me. I'm not talking 25 yards off line, but like.. drive through the fairway and on the other side of the path is an OB stake. Those annoy me a bit.

As he said later he was actually just stalling for the right wind.

I quoted the situation, but I was really just talking about the complexity the pros are often trying to calculate vs "how far is the pin?"

I quoted the situation, but I was really just talking about the complexity the pros are often trying to calculate vs "how far is the pin?"

Fair enough as there is plenty of that and you are correct. They are getting flag, back, bunker cover, back of green if they push and amount to cover ridge.

I concede some folks may be off by 5, 8, 10 yards, but at the same time I rarely see anyone missing by the amount they were off due to swing variability, or take too much club and hit it heavy and be near the pin. But, if you see my later post I re-thought the laser and instead blame high-cappers playing back tees...and putt...mark...putt....mark...putt...mark.

There is way too much putt, mark, other guy putt mark ect in random weekend rounds. It is painful to watch. If I have a 2.5 footer I will never miss but am standing in someones line I just scoop it up and encourage anyone to do the same. Unless it is some gross event people take too long when it just doesn't matter much. Around here most courses are old parkland courses that tend to be short even from the tips. Not a ton of well over 7k yard courses in these parts. I imagine it gets old seeing guys play that distance who shouldn't. Reminds me of Torrey Pines South card that gives recommended handicaps to play certain tees. The tips is by permission only.

There is way too much putt, mark, other guy putt mark ect in random weekend rounds. It is painful to watch. If I have a 2.5 footer I will never miss but am standing in someones line I just scoop it up and encourage anyone to do the same. Unless it is some gross event people take too long when it just doesn't matter much. Around here most courses are old parkland courses that tend to be short even from the tips. Not a ton of well over 7k yard courses in these parts. I imagine it gets old seeing guys play that distance who shouldn't. Reminds me of Torrey Pines South card that gives recommended handicaps to play certain tees. The tips is by permission only.

Torrey Pines got smart and kinda shamed folks into playing "more" to their abilities. And yes...the extreme line-ups from 50 feet, then up to four more line-ups is enough for me to ensure I get two vodka martini's from the cart girl.

Back