What Percentage of Your Golf is Fun

Interesting question. Golf is fun. I think I get more into equipment way more than I used to and that is fun. On course I try to have fun but I do expect a lot from myself. Maybe 70% fun 30% not 🤷‍♂️

I try and make every round I play fun. I'm not a pro. Not close to it. I pay every time I step up to the first tee and I figure, why spend good money on something I'm not going to enjoy? Sure I hit bad shots and get frustrated like anyone else. But I've learned not to let that impact my enjoyment out there.

S
sometimes i take it way more seriously than i should. I know i need to relax and enjoy the walk so much more

This is a fantastic post. I will get serious if I play in a tournament, mostly 4 person scrambles, but is to see what I am able to do at my best, but I will enjoy the whole experience. There is a lot of positive comments towards my team and focus during my own shots, versus the typical good natured ribbing and commentary when playing a weekend round with friends.

I try to focus and play well during each round, but it is always for fun, so >90% of the time is fun and enjoyable. If I hit a wall or plateau, it can take a few holes to get my composure back, but it does come back. It has been a very long time since I found myself not enjoying golf.

I'm a 100% for fun player. Do I prefer days when I play better than others, or simply hit better shots? Yes.

But if I'm not going to have fun, I'm not even going put on my shoes.

I would hazard a guess at 60/40. Mostly due to my expectations. Doesn't take long to snap out of it when the 40 wants to creep. When golfing with friends/family it's more towards 90%.

At least 95% of the time. I love playing golf. Not fun is when I feel external pressure about the quality of my play. I'm not good and I have a lot of commitments in life (husband, father, Director for a Fortune 100 company, associate pastor at church, etc). I don't have a lot of time to work on being good at golf. I don't like when someone makes me feel inadequate because I would rather just go play then practice. This is the thing I do to escape pressure not go pile more on.

100% fun. I may get frustrated if I'm having a bad game, but I've learned over the last few years to just enjoy the round and the fact that I am plying golf.

If I'm not having fun, I'm doing something wrong.
I'm not a pro.
I'll never be a pro.
I never had a chance at being a pro.
Knowing my limitations allows me to work within them and enjoy golf as a hobby.:D

I’m 66 now and still in good shape and no major health problems. I’ve come to learn that everyday is a gift and could very well be my last, so when I go play no matter how good or bad it‘s always fun. I’m very blessed and thankful for just the little things in life.

I’m having fun 100% of the time. My mindset is I’m not a pro and not practicing hours a day to get better. So have fun with what my game brings, enjoy the company and live with whatever the results are

Last edited:
I always have a good time. I’ve learned to ignore the bad shots and not let it get me down. I play with guys who get pretty frustrated and I try to get them back in the swing of things and with a better attitude about it.

I play when my best golf when I am swinging free and having fun. Having two kids I dont think I would dedicate much time to anything if I wasnt enjoying it. I would say anytime a club is in my hand on the course I am having a blast.

Every part of golf for me is intoxicatingly fun.

Even when I hit a terrible shot, though frustrating as it may be, i'm having fun. I enjoy this game so much. I love talking about it, i love reading about it all day every day in this community, I love window shopping gear all day, I love the opportunities I have in golf now.

Don't just play golf, live it. ;)

I have been trying to be more even keeled on the golf course recently, rather than the roller coaster of emotions I used to experience. When I was first playing golf, I felt like I was in blissful ignorance, just enjoying everything.

I am told our brain remembers strong emotions the most, so I am trying to hype myself up over good shots, rather than treating them as expected and getting too worked up over either poor shots or good shots with bad bounces/results. I want to remember those great shots. I played Kapalua Plantation exactly two years ago next week and I can remember the sense of relief on the par 3 8th, seeing my ball clear the chasm and roll up onto the green, funneling towards the hole. I was so relieved and happy for that simple shot, I still remember it today.

So, I would say I am at around 80% happy/fun, up from a low of probably 50% a couple years ago, but not as high as when I first started.

I've really grinded on my game and practiced a ton the last few years. The work to fun ratio was skewed but my goal this year is to just enjoy the walk and have fun each round regardless of how I'm playing!

used to be 80+...it's probably 50-60 now that i have actual expectations. but even those rounds where i WANTED to play really well, when the company's been good, it was more fun than not.

Playing well it is all fun. Play bad and well....

The only times I’m not having fun is when I’m concerned about my score. I REALLY don’t like losing. If I was competing in some way and playing poorly, I was not happy. Since I stopped keeping score or competing, my enjoyment increased dramatically. Being stuck behind slow players isn’t my favorite part of the game, but now that I’m not paying attention to my score, even that doesn’t bother me much at all. Hitting golf balls is fun for me. Funny how you’d think that getting to hit the ball more times should make the game that much more fun, but it doesn’t really work that way does it?

When I was in my teens and 20s, I had poor control of my emotions on the course and didn't enjoy at least half of my rounds. Age brings perspective, and golf is always fun for me now.

The only time last year I remember being a bit salty on the course was last August when I was on pace for my best round ever at my home club. I missed a 2.5' birdie putt on 16, had a three-putt double bogey on 17 after a bad lie in a bunker, and another three putts from 15 feet on the easy par-five 18th. I had rushed the birdie putt on 16 and was pissed at myself and let it carry over to the next two holes. Had I made the two-footer on 16 and just three putted once on 17/18, I would have had my personal best at my club. It was a complete mental breakdown, but I was able to laugh about it 5 minutes after the round in the bar over beers.

I'd say probably 90/10 at this point. I'm still not good at golf, so there are times that still gets to me. Used to be way lower though, back when I was younger and expected too much from myself.

I enjoy every round, even if there are frustrations at times. If I play one that I generally don't enjoy, I take a brief golf break until the itch returns. I want to get better but ultimately I play because it's fun, and if it stops being fun, I shouldn't be playing.

I know it's a cliche but.....ANY day on a golf course is better than a day at work! I enjoy every day I get to go golfing. I don't enjoy every shot I hit, but overall, I enjoy the time I get on the course.

Back