What type of feel do you like with your putter?

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My favorite feeling putter of all time is the Odyssey Sabertooth. It had a nice pop to it. If I were to design a putter, I would prefer a hotter feeling face compared to a dull thud.

What say you?

I'm a big fan of a softer feeling face like the White Hot on Odyssey putters. The feeling and sound of getting one right in the center, the ball sinks in to the face like butter and then pops off. Love that feeling!

My favorite feeling putter of all time is the Odyssey Sabertooth. It had a nice pop to it. If I were to design a putter, I would prefer a hotter feeling face compared to a dull thud.

What say you?
I've always really liked the white hot insert as it is soft yet I always had great distance control with it. Lately I like the slightly more firm feeling of the insert in the Cleveland Frontline Elevado putter.

I tried few putters with insert.
I started playing with Chrome Soft ball last year and I just couldn’t get used to the feeling at all. If I was playing more harder ball I might be ok with it.
Until I change ball I’m sticking with my old Cameron. So I guess I like tad clicky feel? If that make any sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soft, but not too soft. Somewhere around the middle between clicky and mushy. The new Odyssey Microhinge Star insert feels pretty good to me and I've had good results with distance control with it. My old Ping Scottsdale had a firmer insert and I wasn't as consistent with my distances.

The only inserts I seem to get along with are metal. I did like the early Odyssey black inserts though, just never got along with the white-hot type material. Micro-hinge either, it robbed me of feel too.

I do like a crisp feel without it being too hard. The Never Compromise putters (I still have a Voodoo center-shaft) probably offer me the best mix of feel and pop.

Non insert. Deep milled for the reduction of surface area making contact with the ball, thusly producing a lower decibel feedback that is more dense in nature.

My putter doesn't have an insert... so it's kind of I don't know... not a thud per se but not a ping either.

I rolled a TM daddy long legs years ago and thought it was too clicky. So I guess I don't like clicky feels.

I prefer a firm feel, with an audible sound based on strike quality and strength. Sound is feel in putting imo. If the sound/feel of a putter is off, then my lagging and fast green putting suffers.

I just like it to feel like I can easily keep it online. It doesn't want to twist or it isn't fighting my natural movement through the ball. The more toe hang a putter has the more my hands get involved trying to make that weight stay square and my accuracy diminishes.

Non insert. Deep milled for the reduction of surface area making contact with the ball, thusly producing a lower decibel feedback that is more dense in nature.
I feel like I'm in physics class :eek:

Soft yet firm

I used to love a really soft insert feel but that's changed over the years. Now I want milled with a little softer feel vs. a crisp, clicky feel. Something with a deeper mill or the Toulon Diamond mill is excellent.

I like one that is soft and has a sound of a dull thud. I dont like putters that have a hot face because I feel like I tend to crush my putts 10 feet past the cup. I guess thats why Ive always preferred blades and never really found a mallet that I liked.

I like a hot face, even with very fast greens. I once had an STX putter with such a soft insert, it felt like putting with a headcover on (oddly though, I did hole a lot of putts with it and didn't feel I needed to add pace - but that feel - ugh...).

Soft works best for me, and shows why I'm such a weekend warrior because I cant seem to let go of using my ER-2. Its heavy, clicky, and gives me no feedback, but I'm running it into the ground trying to get it to work.

"deep milled face exude sweet feel at impact"
Partial description of a putter I'm currently using.

Crisp followed by this

I like a little weight to mine. Nothing too light. I want to be able to feel the head of the putter and feel the ball come off the face. Sound is important too.

Still feeling this out some, but I'm liking a soft feel of the face of the putter. Have really liked how the Axis 1 Joey feels when I use it.

Something with some weight that still gives me some feedback on if I'm out on the toe. A solid, not clicky sound, that gives me audible feedback as well.

whatever my scotty does is it...

Last edited:
My favorite feel was probably that of the Tank Cruiser #7...... but with all the weight in that thing, I probably couldn't actually feel anything lol.

The dumb thing is my Handsome One Raw is probably as polar opposite to the TC7 in every way. Blade vs Huge Mallet. Less weight, more traditional grip, all that stuff...... and I would say that I putt better with it than any other putter.

Back