What was your biggest game changer for the 2022 season?

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What was your biggest game changer for the 2022 season?
Is it a piece of equipment, lessons, fitness, or mentality change?

I have a few things helped me in 2022 but 1 big winner.

The first was purchasing an electric caddy.
The 2nd was giving the Odyssey TriHot5k One a real chance. It was unbelievable how many long putts I made this year. The most I can remember.

The clear winner for me this year was installing UST Mamiya Recoil Proto iron shafts in my irons and wedges. My elbow was so messed up from all the grinding on mats I was doing leading up The Grandaddy and post. I somehow got golfers and tennis elbow. Inside and outside tendinitis of my right elbow. It allowed me to play more golf. So, thank you @DannyLe! You took sometime to let me enjoy golf this season!

A lot of things but I think the biggest may have been moving to the Odyssey 11S

A lot of things but I think the biggest may have been moving to the Odyssey 11S
What alignment did you go with? Nekkid, tour line or Triple Track?

Learning what right side bend was and how to make it happen.

I would go with lessons. I wandered lost in the wilderness for much of the season until I connected with a good teacher in September. I only got a couple of lessons before he left for the winter but I definitely feel like I am back on the right path. I will be working with him from the beginning of the season next year.

Getting a real fitting and new driver as a result. There was a while there my driver was a weapon. I actually hit a tree I was aiming at on a short par 4 trying to be near pin high but in a bail out area. I think my shoulder is affecting my swing more than I originally thought, but for a while there, I had never driven the ball better. @MWard Was able to witness the single greatest tee shot ever hit through the history of golf. Majestic doesn't begin to describe it.

Winning a Rogue ST Max with a UST LINQ Blue shaft in Shaft Up #1 changed my tee game in a way I didn't think possible!

Can't thank THP enough for that event win! 🔥

Getting a real fitting and new driver as a result. There was a while there my driver was a weapon. I actually hit a tree I was aiming at on a short par 4 trying to be near pin high but in a bail out area. I think my shoulder is affecting my swing more than I originally thought, but for a while there, I had never driven the ball better. @MWard Was able to witness the single greatest tee shot ever hit through the history of golf. Majestic doesn't begin to describe it.
Oh my God this still can’t be a thing

Top of the bag fitting. The elimination of the left miss off the tee and finding something I can hit consistently between 3 wood and 5 iron was absolutely huge.

Physical therapy for my shoulder and continued exercises so I can swing without pain.

and the Rogue Driver

An Edel putter fitting that put me in the EAS 4.0. I was seriously having over 40 putts on about half of my rounds with 6-8 3putt holes every time. This putter took me to 31-33 putts per round almost every time

Equipment wise my 54 and 60 Callaway JFT Raw wedges. Idk what was different about them but they were weapons for me.

I'll throw it in because I'm in that off-season optimistic mode, I saw a random 60 second swing tip video on Twitter that I really think could end my misery with irons. We'll see what happens in 4 months or so when the rubber hits the road but the early sim results are promising.

Putting, and with that the confidence in it. Really improved technique (so the 22 GD crew needs to take Nicks words like that of God 😆) led to better results and in return high level of belief in the putter.

Better launch. Better accuracy. Less hand action. It was nice
I have seen the same thing. When I went after it more, it was more accurate! Bananas!

I decided to change my “traditional” golf swing to one resembling that of Steve Stricker. By having less of a “wrist cock” and more of a stiffer “wrist set”... I have been far more consistent with my ball striking... (hitting the middle of the club face). Hey... it’s worked for most of 2022.

Switched to graphite irons - Recoil 95s were a great fit.

Rotated putters worked like a winning Stanley Cup goalie tandem. Odyssey 11 and SC Newport 2 played like a fiddle when called upon. Go with the hot hand.

ShaftUp! Played like garbage leading up to it, and during it. Switched drivers and shafts fit by @DannyLe Found another gear weekend I returned home. Hoping to find it again as I restart this year.

1. My biggest improvement this year came in the mental game.

I've never enjoyed golf this much. No matter the outcome on each shot, I'm always walking away happy.

2nd is I developed a mentality for process oriented goals for golf, vs results oriented. It's made drastic improvements as well for me.

I can't wait to play golf in 2023!

Mine was getting selected for the Morgan Cup. Not only did it get me to go out and get fit, but it got me serious about practicing with a purpose to really improve my game where I was struggling the most.

I really haven't had a great year scoring wise, so I don't have any big game changers in that aspect. Just playing more was huge for me though. Looking forward to better things in 2023.

Back