What was your biggest game changer for the 2022 season?

I have seen the same thing. When I went after it more, it was more accurate! Bananas!
"Try to overdo it" was something I told myself over and over. Wasn't the worst result.

My game changers came late in the year.

Equipment-wise, and I still can't believe it, is the Cobra Radspeed One-Length hybrids. I bought the 19° first, then the 24°. They're incredibly forgiving, solid and in my experience, long. My friends have dubbed them "cheater clubs" and two in my regular group are actively trying to find them after hitting mine (my ebay seller is sold-out, dangit).

As for the swing, an earlier set of the wrists has worked wonders for me. Not an "early set," mind you, as I accidentally discovered that I was delaying wrist set to the point of it being a flaw. This led to a quick and over-exaggerated imposter of a "set" at the top with my grip feeling very loose and with a rushed transition.

But... set the wrists earlier and suddenly the grip is more stable, transition much more reasonable. And a nice unintended consequence has been a stronger release through impact with my realizing greater distance. Basically, this one subtle change solved my grip, transition and tempo issues all in one.

Committing 100% to hitting up on the Driver. Huge game changer for me. Consistently is still a work in progress but the distance gain was staggering to say the least.

A full fitted bag was game changing for my overall game. Confidence top to bottom led to some of the most consistent golf I've ever played. Excited to build on that next season.

But BIGGEST game changer had to be the Motocaddy M7. Just unreal how much more enjoyable golf is without pushing or carrying while still being able to walk!

Two things for me, moving to Rapid Tapers from hybrid through putter and the second was the Garsen Max on my flat stick. Makes elbow lock unconscious, amazing.

Getting fit for my putter.

That’s a tough one. I’ve had three big changes that helped. Getting fit by Danny Le at Shaft Up gave me ridiculous gains off the tee. Unfortunately my iron play was still less than spectacular which cost me strokes and frustrated me. So I worked on my mental game which included accepting the outcome. That didn’t do much until I started to understand I could still care about getting better while accepting bad results. I saw more consistency but not much improvement so I started taking lessons.

I think the lessons made the biggest impact. I cut down my backswing to get less across the line which helped my consistency in delivering the clubhead. Then we worked on how to rotate around my spine angle. Then we worked on trail side bend and weight shift. I decreased my effort level to ingrain the changes and I’m still at the same speed and distances. Those were a lot of changes over 5-6 months. I dropped my handicap 3 points during that time when it was rising before then. I went from soft capped to having an Exceptional Score Reduction applied. Now I can actually use the two other game changers I got this year.

Changed the whole wedge lineup to CBX Zipcore wedges after replacing my set PW with one and absolutely loving it. My short game was never a slouch to begin with, but with the CBX.'s I never, ever, have a tentative pass at the ball.

I would say purchasing before the start of the 2022 season a new MGI Zip Navigator. After pushing probably 80-90% of the prior 2 year’s rounds as I fought continuously to keep my now retired Bat Caddy running, it was huge relief to finally get a remote cart that was reliable.

I walk >100 rounds per year on hilly course and pushing was starting to leave me exhausted after a round and my scoring showed on the back 9. Despite having to stall my 2022 over-winter fitness program by having toe surgeries and a subsequent infection costing me a couple of months, my overall scoring and comfort level improved dramatically with the Zip Navigator.

Many thanks to Budget Golf and their Black Friday 2021 coupon, that made it happen.

Mentality change. I just committed to my swing instead of constantly tinkering. It has been a hug shift for me as I documented it in notes and now I go to that before every round and if things are off track. I have gotten much more consistent as a ballstriker and that has allowed me to start strategizing a bit more. Still a work in progress and not super good, but I am getting there.

2 things for me. First off was going back and getting some fitness / weight loss and PT done. Dropped 20 pounds and a few months of knee and lower back PT to help with mobility.

Secondly was a push cart - that was just a great investment for my future in golf.

I went to a much heavier, longer putter that is also arm-lock. I’ve tried armlock before but nothing in this weight. It has made my putting a lot better especially in that 4-15 foot range that I’ve struggled with for so many decades and strangely it required almost no practice or adjustment period. Putting is fun again and no longer a source of frustration.

JPX 923 HMP.
Added 10mph ball speed and greater forgiveness. That’s been as close to a ‘magic bullet’ as possible.

Edel Putter Fitting.

Odyssey TriHot5K Triple Wide for me.

I didn't' worry about putting all year and that was new territory for me. Couldn't help me off the tee, but I save a lot more strokes than I had previous years and the game was so much more enjoyable. And like you said Cap I made more long putts this year which can only put a smile on your face.

Using my 8i to chip changed my game completely. I think I truly noticed how much it helped while playing at the Hideaway. It’s the one thing I’ve been working really hard and it paid off in so many situations there.

I putt mostly with my left arm and I found after much evaluation that I was changing the position of my left wrist during transition that resulted in a cupped wrist and slight pull. Holding that position through transition and impact has helped me get more consistant on those 5ft and less putts.

late in the season I added some Wilson D9 forged wedges which have very little offset. This helped my bump and run game immediatly and I think it opens up a world of scoring opportunties in 2023

3 equipment items:
1. Rogue ST Irons
2 Tour Certified Epic Flash Driver
3. Ping Fetch Putter

These three items turned my season around.

#1 The Four Foundations of Golf: How to Build a Game That Lasts a Lifetime by Jon Sherman
This book really helped me look at the game in a different way and I am getting more enjoyment out of this wonderful game. I highly recommend this book.

#2 Motocaddy M7 would have been #1 it was a great purchase. I really like walking and feel like I play better when I walk.

1) Switching to my current irons with heavy steel shafts. My iron game is better than it's ever been.
2) Consistent lessons. I've picked up clubhead speed and consistency, and though there is still a lot of progress to be made, the benefits are clear.

Well a couple of things

Getting lessons changed my game
Getting fit for my irons was amazing
Getting to be a part of the goat cup
Getting out and playing more

Those were the 4 game changers for 2022

Realizing after taking 12 years off and after neck, knee and lower back surgeries, I could still play a little and I still had a decent short game. Lost about a club and a half distance though. Getting old is not for sissies. :cool:

2022 was a great golf year for me because I had the chance to travel a few times and golf with a large number of THPers. Nothing about my game or equipment, but just the sheer enjoyment of golfing with awesome people.

On the equipment side, the Motocaddy M7 without a doubt.

My game didn't change :rolleyes:

Big plans for upcoming season though (y)

Back