What would you do? Nothing? Something?

SHIFTY

Orgasm Donor
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Here's the issue;

Myself and a buddy were in a 2 man scramble tournament this weekend in a neighboring city. First round was to get everyone flighted, then you'd golf the next day and total score would win. Top 4 spots in each flight paid. Entry was $175 per person, there were 50 teams.

We made the first flight, finished golfing the 2nd day, handed in our card. The guy knew we were from out of town, so he says, you guys are in 5th or 6th place, so you can head out if you want. So we leave.
Then my buddy texts me once we got home that the course posted the results on twitter. They marked us 2 strokes higher than we shot, and we would've finished in 4th. In the money. Obviously they had already given out the cash, and prizes.

So I called them, and they confirmed that they made a mistake, apologized, and that the manager would be in touch last night. He hasn't been in touch as of yet.

My partner is really pissed, and I'm more disappointed than anything. You guys think I should do anything more? Or just let it go, and chalk it up to experience? What do you guys think?

Shifty

DonJuan

Reaction score
Handicap
Me
If I had to pay money, then I'm not letting it go. I'm at least getting a full refund.

Slammin'SAM

Never a flatbelly
Reaction score
Handicap
Rare play
Never leave until enough results are posted to eliminate you from the prize pool. But, no respectable tournament would give your prize to another, but would leave it to be picked up in the pro shop. A tournament of that size and cost, should be respectable, so a call to that pro shop might be in order to see if that is how it was handled.

SHIFTY

Orgasm Donor
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Never leave until enough results are posted to eliminate you from the prize pool.
That's what I told my buddy. Our fault for leaving.
I'll wait and hopefully they get in touch. If not I guess it's a hard lesson.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

ArmyGolf

#Rise&Grind
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 9.3
I'd try to at least get my entry back, unless it was for charity.

SHIFTY

Orgasm Donor
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'd try to at least get my entry back, unless it was for charity.
I will call in a day or 2 if they haven't been in touch. I think that would be fair.

Chop

Reaction score
Handicap
Yep, Never leave when you have money on the line. I would get my entry fee back.

Danimal

Srixon/Cleveland/XXIO Enthusiast
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I would follow up as well. Run down what happened and let him know they need to make it right. See what happens. Good luck.

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
No way I am leaving until everything is posted and verified. Hope they will at least refund.

ntanygd760

Reaction score
Handicap
Sign the card and have the team attest. If that number you signed for is the number they put up and you realize after you are out of luck. If you signed a correct card and they somehow missed it the director is on the hook. If you left without signing assuming the course would get it right that is tough luck but nothing you can do.

GenErr

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
I'd persist, unless like a previous poster stated, if it was for charity. It sounds like you fell victim to a "home job." I'd at least want my entry fee refunded. Good luck.

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

pretty much my stance as well. definitely sucks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeg_74

B.T.S
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mistake was leaving before scores were officially posted.

Now they admitted an error so at the very least I’d want my refund. It’s memorial weekend so prob why your reply is delayed.

OITW

Contestant in #THPSweep
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The Clock
Others have said it, but wait until its final.

Also I would want my entry fee back

merlebo02

Reaction score
Handicap
Life time tennis player that has just recently started taking golf a little more serious and the first thing I have learned is golf is a game full of cheaters!!

JDW3

Reaction score
Handicap
I'd wouldn't let it go. I'd be calling them daily til it was resolved and something extra was added to make up for their wrong doing. Stuff like that is unacceptable in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Slammin'SAM

Never a flatbelly
Reaction score
Handicap
Rare play

I would be surprised if they get in touch with you - you should definitely call the pro shop.

Also, for those telling you to demand a refund - AIN"T HAPPENING! That money has already gone to the pro shop and to the sponsors, and your prize for 4th place would be a gift certificate for pro shop merchandise, if your lucky for 4th place maybe $50-75.

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Reaction score
Handicap
How much was the payout for 4th if I can ask?

SHIFTY

Orgasm Donor
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Nate I never asked, as I didn't want to get mad. There was $8750 in fees paid, 4 flights, and top 4 paid per flight. Obviously the course would keep some, I would think half maybe. 100 golfers, 2 rounds played.

PS I'm just about finished season 2 of Cobra Kai. Epic!

Imaginos

Reaction score
Handicap
Just call daily asking when you can pickup your 4th place prize. The error is unfortunate but it is their problem. How they handle it internally is their problem. Don’t get sucked into that issue. They may be trying to call the team who received your prize in error to see if that team will give it back. In any case that’s not your issue.

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Reaction score
Handicap
Nate I never asked, as I didn't want to get mad. There was $8750 in the prize pool, 4 flights, and top 4 paid per flight. Obviously the course would keep some, I would think half maybe.
Sounds like it could be a couple hundred for each of you which would cover your entry. Tournament should try and make it right, esp. if it was the golf staff that was running the tournament and made the mistake. If they won't pony up the cash then they should give you a few rounds of golf out there. You leaving early should have no bearing on what is right.

Awstyn

Reaction score
Handicap
Life time tennis player that has just recently started taking golf a little more serious and the first thing I have learned is golf is a game full of cheaters!!
In many subtle and not so subtle ways you are correct. It is also is a game that has etiquette and a personal contest that you cannot hide from.
You know, and very often others know when someone is caught cheating, or takes advantage. That information on character is useful on and off the course.

I enjoy a match or contest but the beauty of golf is I do not have to compete against a person. I have my own demons to face vs. the course.
That said, SHIFTY did compete and this issue needs to be addressed. I'd be justifiably pissed as well.

Watching to see how people handle themselves, is part of the charm. No one is perfect, and one action can't define you, but you can get a sense relatively quickly as compared to other activities.

pumbaa

Reaction score
Handicap
my swing
you paid 175 each, absolutely making this an issue.

Kay-Dee

Reaction score
Handicap
This was not a friendly round with buddies. You paid an entry fee....you won. I would tell them I want my cash. I would let them know this is a "YOU problem not a ME problem".

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in