What's your low rent guilty pleasures

We used to make burritos once every couple of weeks when our boys were "growing". Brown up the rice from a Mexican Style Rice-Aroni, a lb of ground beef, thrown in, seasoning packet and a cup of water. Covered about 20 minutes. Scoop out onto tortilla shells. Top with salsa, sour cream & shredded cheese. Fed four for under $10.
Today, you could describe it differently and probably get $5-6 each (maybe more) for the same taco on small tortillas that most restaurants use.

Van Camps pork and beans with fried hamburger, ketchup and sugar. Eaten over bread like slop. So yummy. And extremely cheap to feed the family.

Van Camps pork and beans with fried hamburger, ketchup and sugar. Eaten over bread like slop. So yummy. And extremely cheap to feed the family.
I did P&B and hamburger and served it over rice. Never added ketchup or sugar but it sounds good. Big can of P&B and a pound of hamburger went a long way in the mid-late 80s.

I did P&B and hamburger and served it over rice. Never added ketchup or sugar but it sounds good. Big can of P&B and a pound of hamburger went a long way in the mid-late 80s.
Heck. Back in the late 80's early 90's. Loaf of bread, P&B, 1lb of hamburger would have been less than $5 and could feed a family of 4.

Gonna tell yall right now. Before my diet/way of eating change. There is nothing better than an Uncrustable almost frozen. It is like a sandwich bit almost ice cream related. However, not an ice cream sandwich.

Gonna tell yall right now. Before my diet/way of eating change. There is nothing better than an Uncrustable almost frozen. It is like a sandwich bit almost ice cream related. However, not an ice cream sandwich.
Ever had one out of an air fryer? Heavenly.

Ever had one out of an air fryer? Heavenly.
I bet that is a tasty treat too. For some reason, I have always liked most of my treats chilled. Candy bars, peanut butter cups, even Chinese food.

I bet that is a tasty treat too. For some reason, I have always liked most of my treats chilled. Candy bars, peanut butter cups, even Chinese food.
Same, me too. But THP turned me on to an air fried encrustable and it’s like fair food

White bread
Sliced tomatoes
Mayo

May have just been the "everything grandma makes is better" effect, but I was all about it.
I also picked this up from my German grandma, but hers were butter on homemade pumpernickel with thick slices of tomato and only salt and pepper to taste. In the summer once the garden gets going, I still am a tomato sandwich guy 4-5 times a week, although I prefer rye.

Kraft dinner (Mac/cheese), peanut butter sandwiches using salted crackers or on toast, hot dogs and a staple beans & wieners.

Back